“Good Chinese Fayre”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Good Chinese Fayre”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Not the first time we have visited for Birthdays, other occasions and this time it was both New Year's eve and a birthday. More recent posts had made me review our choice. But no worries. If you are looking for good food ( All you can eat - is cooked fresh and not buffet style) at an ok price in a nice restaurant, this is it. More suited to groups and families rather than couples. Service is adequate, not really friendly but efficient. Overall another good visit.

Derbyshire, UK
“fantastic Chinese in Belper”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Have used the takeaway service and visited restaurant for a meal on several occasions in past few months and have been very impressed. having used other Chinese takeaways in Belper for years, cannot believe that I have missed out on the much better food served at this one.
The buffet option in restaurant is fantastic value and very generous portions. The let down is the cost of the drinks - over £4 for a bottle of mineral water!
The takeaway meals have been excellent too - good portion sizes, delicious chicken and beef dishes.

Will continue to use again, despite the awful reviews that I have just read on here!

“Terrible Service”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

A group of three of us were on a night out for two of our Birthdays, we tried Ming Court first but would have to have waited an hour & a half & we were starving! boy I wish we'd have waited.
Restaurant was very busy when we arrived which I thought was a good sign, we were seated quickly & given a menu.
Two of us ordered the "all you can eat buffet" at £16.99 but my other friend is vegetarian so she ordered from the al a carte menu her food came to £19.40 which we thought was a little steep as she only had spring rolls for starters & a cod dish for main.
When our starters arrived we started to tuck in & offered our vegetarian friend some seaweed,as she was putting this on her plate the young Chinese waitress approached the table & looking at me said "is she on the al a carte menu" & pointed at my friend!! I said yes & she replied with "we'll she shouldn't be eating that" & walked off.
We were amazed & when she passed by again I told her I wasn't happy with the way she had spoken to us! She couldn't have cared less & didn't apologise.
When the mains arrived we started to put the food out & the older Chinese woman rushed over & said "that's not your it's hers" as it was the cod that had arrived but nobody had told us what it was.
Overall the food was not bad (the al a carte food better than buffet) as we found that the pork,beef & chicken all tasted the same!!! But the service was shocking,I don't expect to be spoken to like an idiot & most definitely will not be returning or recommending to anyone.
I honestly don't know how they've managed to carry on in business for all this time.Customer service needs a massive overhaul along with the decor.

2 Thank Lisa H
Derby, United Kingdom
“Chinese restaurant Syndrome!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

POW! Full blown head pain that lasted 24 hours..... I woke up at 3am with pain in my head. My partner also had head pain at the same time. I was confused as to why we both had such strange symptoms. The night before we had decided to visit the river garden for a chinese meal. We had a lovely evening, food was great and all in all had a pleasant evening. Until the after effects kicked in..... and by god it did!! After the head pain, the chest pains started.... and then the feeling that every bit of moisure was being sucked out of my body. I felt dog rough! I decided to read up about Monosodium Glutamate... food enhancer. Which can I point out is still under extensive research as to whether it is still fit for human consumption. MSG is now the new "chinese restaurant syndrome"... and if you fancy a visit to River garden in Belper... be prepared for 24 hours of feeling pretty damn S**T!! Good food does not need to be ruined by toxic chemicals... Rant over!!!

1 Thank Sevros123
Derby, United Kingdom
“chicken surprise ... the surprise is it isn't what you ordered”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

i've been here on several occasions and they've messed my order up on 3 of them on one visit they put mine and a friends starter on the same plate and neglected to tell us ... very poor

Visited August 2012