“Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Snake Pass Inn

The Snake Pass Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Bamford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

After driving by this place for many years while taking the Snake Pass we finally decided to give it a try. Upon visiting I now know why we always continued to drive by it. Service was absolutely lousy, food was nasty and beer was horrible. I ordered sausage and mash with the sausages being the cheap frozen kind. Very poor quality. It is a real shame that this place is such a disappointment as it has so much potential to be a real gem with it's location along the Snake Pass in amongst the lovely countryside of the Peak District. It is only one of two places along the road and why it is not serving fresh local sourced food and beer is beyond me. There's just no excuse. When driving along the Snake Pass from Glossop give this place a miss. You are much better off continuing on a short while to the Lady Bower Inn which is much superior in quality. A big thumbs down for this place.

• Visited April 2013

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Like stepping back in time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I can't speak for the quality or otherwise of the accommodation at the Snake Pass Inn but the meals service in the bar left me feeling deeply unimpressed. I was there on Saturday 24th May with my son and we ordered two meals. I can't say that the meals were much of anything really, bland is the most suitable word to describe them. My son ordered chile con carne but truth to tell carne sin chile would have been a better description.

That I could live with as we weren't expecting great culinary delights, it was an incident relating to a pot of tea that shocked me. I asked the guy behind the bar if I could have a top up as the pot was very small and went cold very quickly. A surly woman took the pot and minutes later it came back with the hot water minus the teabag. I asked the guy what happened to the teabag and the woman was summoned who told me that was what I asked for, proceeding to look at me as if I was some kind of congenital idiot. I pointed out that I had no use for just a pot of hot water so she went to the kitchen and grudgingly gave me a fresh teabag.

When it came time to pay, the same woman manually amended the bill to include the price of a new pot of tea. When I asked her why, she said that I had a fresh pot and she was there to make money. When asked what she imagined I was going to say to other people about her 'service', she replied that they had been there for 200 years, a reply that even Basil Fawlty would have have been proud of saying. I was in a hurry and with my son otherwise I would have steadfastly refused to pay the extra. I didn't catch her name but she was dressed in black.

I can honestly say that I haven't never seen such poor service in a long time especially over something like that, I don't know if she was the owner but she certainly behaved as it she was and that the concept of customer service was something totally alien to her nature. I have asked for and received top ups in many cafes and restaurants over the years and that is absolutely the very first time anybody has ever charged for extra hot water.