“Poor value for money”

The Yorkshire Bridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bamford B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Yorkshire Bridge Inn in Bamford as we were considering relocating to the village. We decided that if we both wanted a well earned drink (a very rare trip away without the children), that staying in a pub was the way forward. However, we were disappointed. The staff were OK, but I wouldn't say they welcomed us with open arms. We had an evening meal on our first night (Friday) and I will say that both of our steaks were fantastic. However, I found the menu choice to be rather uninspiring - really no better than your average pub, but at very elevated prices. Our room was, well, bijoux. There was little room in the room itself and the bathroom was almost non-existent - you had to sit on the toilet sideways (and the toilet seat was fitted this way). Showering to get clean (especially your feet) was virtually impossible what with a triangular shower cubicle - imagine a square shower tray with 1/3 of it missing!). We had noisy neighbours on both nights due to doors slamming, and found the bed extremely uncomfortable.
Also, the towel radiator in the room was electric which we couldn't turn off and so the room was extremely hot. As we were on ground level, it wasn't safe to sleep with the windows open as we would have liked as there was then no security.

All in all this is an expensive hotel that really doesn't deliver value for money - I did expect better. We wouldn't consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 12
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Our stay definitely did not live up to the rest of the reviews. We booked into a room with a four poster bed as it looked very nice but there was a terrible smell of bad drains and the bathroom left a lot to be desired. It took me half an hour just to wash and rinse my hair in the shower. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and I was served stale bread with myt started and unfortunately most of my main course was either undercooked or overcooked which meant I had to leave most of it, all I was offered was a free dessert. My mushrooms for breakfast had a terrible taste and my plate was swimming in butter (my boyfriend had the same breakfast but didnt have the same problem, when I told the waitress I was all but called a liar and she said very rudely 'what do you want me to do about it'. This is definitely one place I would not stay at again and would not recommend to anyone. The attitude of some of the staff leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bev0206
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in April, we wanted somewhere near good walking in the High Peak. The Yorkshire Bridge is in a fantastic location for walking, with good walks right on the doorstep. It is situated at one end of Ladybower reservoir and from there it's a short (15-20 min) drive to Edale and Castleton. Rooms were on the small side but clean and adequate, ours had a bath and overbath shower. Perfect for relieving tired muscles. Our room overlooked the back of the pub, There was some road noise but coming from London this didn't bother us and the road was fairly quiet during the night. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Portions of good homecooked food in the restaurant were huge, even after a long days walking and reasonably priced. They would also prepare a packet lunch (£5 approx) if requested. Again the sandwiches were huge. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting good food, friendly, relaxed atmosphere and in close proximity to the High Peak.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rw701
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I booked in at the Yorkshire Bridge as a surprise wedding anniversary celebration for me and my husband. The pub is cosy and welcoming and the staff helpful. As previously noted by another reviewer the food portions were enormous and we found ourselves ordering less as our stay went on! The room was indeed compact but clean and comfortable and we had been given a room on the ground floor, without a sloping ceiling (as my husband is 6'3") and a larger bed (for the same reason!) as requested on booking. Ideally placed and surrounded by stunning views and plenty of walks to amble along and places to see. A very relaxing and welcoming break in the heart of Derbyshire -almost as beautiful as the Yorkshire Dales - and from a Yorkshire woman that is a compliment....! We would definitely stay here again and I have already recommended it to friends and work colleagues.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YorkshireLass33_11
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We went for an evening meal at the yorkshire bridge on the 22nd January 2011 to celibrate a 50th birhtday. As a group we were very dissapointed with the meals. 2 of us had large prawn cocktails. the prawns were tastless very few in what can only be described as a large glass of lettuce. 2 of us had Lasagne it was nothing special more like something out of the freezer. Also had a Barnsley chop this was more like a child portion again nothing special or different and the smallest chop I have ever seen. On the whole I can only describe the night as over priced and over rated and shall not be going back. we did not stay in the rooms so cannot comment on these.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mands50
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We did a Friday/Saturday night break and were looking for somewhere that would take us and our 3 westies. The room was spotless and even pasted the finger on top of the wardrobe test which few hotels do ! ! ! We found the bed to be very comfortable and bedding fresh and clean. The room was made up for you daily and contained tea and coffee making items plus a flat screen TV , also a good hair drier and nice toiletries. The restaurant provided a very wide choice of fair and I'm sure there really was something for everyone, with very good portion size and quality of food. Breakfast was equally enjoyable ,with a full English to die for. All the staff were very friendly and very efficient at making sure all our needs were taken care of. The Hotel was very well fitted out and decorated to a very high level in a lovely part of the world , which we enjoyed by car as my wife is disabled. We are now looking to try for another visit maybe later in the year, having enjoyed this trip as much as we have.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stew67
Reviewed November 3, 2010

On arrival we were made most welcome,our first meal set the standard for our stay,it was great and our evening meals without exception were mouth watering delicious.
I would like to thank all the staff at The Yorkshire Bridge Inn for making our stay such a memorable occasion.

We will be back

Regards John Ramsden

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamford
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Little John Hotel
Little John Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hathersage

Been to The Yorkshire Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!