“The very worst bar service ever experienced!”
Review of Snake Pass Inn

Snake Pass Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Bamford B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2013

By all accounts the B&B side of this establishment is excellent but I was only visiting for a drink and a sandwich in the bar and the service was almost farcically bad! it was like something out of Fawlty Towers.
I went there on Sunday May 5th to meet a colleague to discuss some business over a snack lunch, We were both there at just after 12 and were the only people in the bar. There was a group of bikers at the tables outside and I think one other couple in the other room but that was all, The place was empty. I went up to the bar counter and the young man at the bar ignored me and went on doing something or other in the region of the till, Then a man came in from the other room. The barman noticed him and took his order but still ignored me. I tried to catch his eye and attract his attention but he still ignored me and went into the kitchen area out of sight, where I could plainly hear him laughing and chatting to other staff. I stood there for ages, There was no bell to ring and no way to attract attention. The barman never even came to see if any customers were waiting. Finally I was joined at the bar by another couple who also began to get impatient. The man considered trying to ring the huge bell over the bar that was used to call time. In the end they got fed up and left and finally the barman came into the bar and saw me. No apologies. I ordered two sandwiches and asked for no butter on the bread and one side order of chips. He repeated the order but didn't write it down, He took my money but didn't give me a receipt. and popped into the kiychen to pass the order on. .When he came back I asked for a drink - a diet coke with ice and lemon, He poured the coke behind the bar and then came and took my money for it, Then he turned away - probably to rejoin the others in the kitchen - but without giving me my drink. I said, "Where is it then?" He said, "Where's what?". "The drink!", I replied. "Oh yes", he said - and passed it to me. Still no apology. When the sandwiches arrived they both had butter on the bread and there was no side order of chips. I didn't complain about it as I had absolutely no proof that I'd actually asked for no butter or ordered chips or paid for them as I had no receipt. My companion confirmed that he had clearly heard me ask for both though.
We both just ate up and left. Neither of us will ever go there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Margaret186364
There are newer reviews for Snake Pass Inn

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Snake Pass Inn is a great stopover pub if you are thinking of planning a walk around the Snake Pass. Its an old coaching house, which still retains a lot of the old decor and charm.

We stayed there for 2 nights and were very pleased with the all round service. Staff were very friendly and as previously mentioned by some people, the food was awesome. Freshly cooked with very generous portions. Better pub food that most pubs I`ve been to in Staffordshire.

The rooms felt a little chilly on arrival, but we had a couple of electric heaters, which made the rooms nice and warm. Our room didn`t have a shower, but for a couple of nights its a minor inconvenience. The water was very very hot though.

It was ideal at the end of our walk to chill out with a few Kronenbourgs and then walk a few yards to the room. Other people we met in the pub were also very friendly and equally impressed by the Inn.

Shame there are so many bad reviews here. The only way to make a decision is to stay there yourself. A better website detailing their facilities might benefit the Snake Pass Inn.

All in all, a great stay and no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just stayed at the Inn for two nights with my brother and his partner. Set in a lovely place not far from Derwent Valley dams and the perfect base for walking.Our room had a double and twin beds, small lounge and a bathroom (sadly no shower though) which is a bit time consuming for 3 adults. Plenty of hot water though! Staff were nice and friendly but the best thing was the food...home cooked and plenty of it, both breakfast and keenly priced dinners. Price was also competitive so we would go again no problem.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just returned from a great 2 night stay at snake pass inn.accomodation was very good,we had two bedrooms a lounge and a spacious bathroom.the meals could not be faulted,always freshly cooked.we ate in the restaurant on both evenings as it was so good.the breakfast was excellent both mornings.the staff are very helpful.it is the perfect place for a relaxing getaway.would definately recommend this hotel to anyone and will return again.

Room Tip: Give this hotel a try,you will not be disappointed.we had a room in the outer buildings and they wer...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We was welcomed at the pub on Friday 05/04/13, by a lady called Amanda, who showed us our room No4. for one night only.
The room was very nice, with a lovely bathroom.
The views around was breathtaking beautiful.
We had a bite to eat, and the food was very nice also.
Amanda was dashing about very busy, but always paying attention to her guests, and making conversation.
The breakfast the next morning, again was served by Amanda, which was excellent cooked and presented.
We would recomend this inn to anyone wanting a good, and comfortable night sleep, with excellent food and service.
Amanda was down to earth, chatty,with a sense of humour, and cannot praise her enough.
If i had one critisism, it would be, there is NO phone signal at all, but some times i suppose peace and quite is what you get away for.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WestYorkshireKen
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed in this B&B easter 2013, 2 nights. It gets one star for the staff but the accomodation was not worth any rating. The heating in the room did not work and the room did not have a shower or a blind for the window. Also both mornings we had to wait a very longtime for breakfast, the second morning we had to wait for over an hour. The toilets downstairs were dirty.

Room Tip: would not stay here again
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 901Gin1
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed from the 21st - 23rd of February 2013. We had read the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor before booking and felt that we were taking a risk. I'm pleased to say it was a risk worth taking. The Snake Inn is set in such beautiful surroundings. You can see the peaks of mountains from the entrance and a good walk is just across the road from your front door. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout. We got room 14 which was like a mini bungalow. We had a large bedroom, a lounge area and a bathroom. There was even a front patio to our room which we would have sat in had it been warmer. The food was good (though please take the lamb shank off the menu if you aren't going to restock as I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't there) and if you had any sort of issue then you only had to ask and your concerns were listened to and rectified. My partner said our room was a bit cold but I thought it was cozy and we had extra electric radiators if we needed them.
I really liked the Snake Pass Inn and I would visit again (lamb shank aside... I have a thing for a lamb shank). It was good value as we got a deal on one of the web sites doing the rounds and I would probably pay a bit more. It's a very English country pub B&B.It won't blow your socks off but will do a good, reliable, solid job and that's fine with me.

Room Tip: Room 14 worked a treat for us.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamford
George Hotel
The Yorkshire Bridge Inn
Samuel Fox Country Inn
Samuel Fox Country Inn
#1 of 6 in Bradwell

Been to Snake Pass Inn? Share your experiences!