“nice scenery, poor B&B” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Bamford B&B and Inns
Redcar, United Kingdom
“nice scenery, poor B&B”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed in this B&B easter 2013, 2 nights. It gets one star for the staff but the accomodation was not worth any rating. The heating in the room did not work and the room did not have a shower or a blind for the window. Also both mornings we had to wait a very longtime for breakfast, the second morning we had to wait for over an hour. The toilets downstairs were dirty.

Room Tip: would not stay here again
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 901Gin1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed from the 21st - 23rd of February 2013. We had read the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor before booking and felt that we were taking a risk. I'm pleased to say it was a risk worth taking. The Snake Inn is set in such beautiful surroundings. You can see the peaks of mountains from the entrance and a good walk is just across the road from your front door. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout. We got room 14 which was like a mini bungalow. We had a large bedroom, a lounge area and a bathroom. There was even a front patio to our room which we would have sat in had it been warmer. The food was good (though please take the lamb shank off the menu if you aren't going to restock as I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't there) and if you had any sort of issue then you only had to ask and your concerns were listened to and rectified. My partner said our room was a bit cold but I thought it was cozy and we had extra electric radiators if we needed them.
I really liked the Snake Pass Inn and I would visit again (lamb shank aside... I have a thing for a lamb shank). It was good value as we got a deal on one of the web sites doing the rounds and I would probably pay a bit more. It's a very English country pub B&B.It won't blow your socks off but will do a good, reliable, solid job and that's fine with me.

Room Tip: Room 14 worked a treat for us.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

OK, so I've given the Snake Pass Inn five stars; and you might argue that's OTT for a basic country pub B&B, but...
it deserves 5* for the warmth of the welcome from the staff, the good no-nonsense evening food, the really generous breakfasts, the incredible value (at £25 pp B&B in Feb'13) and it's spectacular location! Mind you, I'm maybe comparing it with the standards I experienced last time I visited - 15 years ago, when the incredibly young new local manager was only an 8-year old girl! On that past occasion- also in February, the 'apartments' were still an unheated walkers' bunkhouse and overnight temperatures inside were several degrees below zero; colder than outside! Tell that to the people who complain that the apartments are a bit rudimentary; in fact, they're warm, cosy, and perfect for walkers as you don't feel nervous about trashing the carpets and there's space for muddy boots and gaiters.
And so what if you have to walk across the car park into the pub to get wi-fi? 'When I was a lad wireless meant the Home Service on the crystal set...'
So you can tell we're fans. And although when we visited the selection of beers was a bit limited (they'd been drunk nearly dry during an unexpectedly busy prior weekend as the weather had cleared) they do a very acceptable house Merlot at a tenner a bottle for us softy southerners; very warming after a day walking on Kinder.
And as well as congratulations to young Sophie, who runs the pub (and who really cares, as you can tell by the wonderfully forensic replies to some guests' critical reviews, below), I also have to congratulate Mandy- because the barmaids run a book on who gets the most mentions and if I don't, she'll beat me up next time I visit (hopefully before another 15 years elapses!).

Room Tip: Ask for Apartment 12 (for up to 4 people) if you want a sheltered hallway to dump muddy boots, gait...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Arrived to a warm welcome from Mandy. Thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room number 4 had a four poster bed and lovely large bathroom. The food was excellent, definitely recommend the steak, Hope to return later in the year.

Room Tip: Room number 4
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

SNAKEPASSINN1 - All caps no gaps...

Very nice pub excellent food and service... beautiful barmaids!

I have to add 200 characters to write this review so all you need to know is the above.

Go and try it for yourself - No Complaints

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Twyford123
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had booked this trip months before we knew what the weather conditions would be like, it was atrocious, heavy snow & the coldest day of the winter. However this little inn was the complete opposite, warm, welcoming & friendly. We had an outside apartment (as we had our dog staying with us too) which was enormous. Some of the furniture is a little dated & could do with being replaced but that was the only complaint we had.

The food was very tasty & there was plenty of it. The staff were very friendly & professional.

This inn is ideally located for walkers & as it is dog friendly your pet can go for a long walk & hill climb with you.

We hope to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tasleema
S A, Manager at Snake Pass Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review it is really appreciated, yes the weather could have been better. I haven't seen it like that for a few years. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us we and hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Utterly disastrous management. They shut up without contacting paying guests, and don't have a doorbell!! Our train was delayed at Kings Cross, and by the time we had grabbed something to eat and managed to find a taxi that would take us from Sheffield to the Snake Pass Inn, it was quite late. It was pouring down when we arrived but we were so grateful to get there! We got out of the taxi and pounded on the door in the downpour. No lights went on, but we just couldn't believe everyone would have locked up for the night without contacting us (we'd tried calling in the taxi but hadn't been able to get through). After banging for ages we realised that no one was coming. Another set of guests came out so speak to us, and couldn't quite believe the situation. At dinner the management had mentioned that there were 4 more guests arriving to them. We had realised by now that there is no signal at the Snake Pass Inn. We were freezing, desperate and couldn't believe we could be in such a horrible situation! Eventually we found a phonebooth and called their emergency 24 hour number (supplied by the other guests we had spoken to) from the phonebooth as there are no phones in the rooms. It went to their answer-phone. We realised that no one was going to let us in. So with the last of our change called a taxi back. This took another hour to arrive. I've never been so glad to see a car when it did! We ended up staying in a lovely hotel in Sheffield for the same price and got to our new rooms at 2am. The next morning at 9 am, I got a call back from the Snake Pass Inn. They told me they had tried to call me at 1030, but hadn't been able to get through to me. This isn't true as that was when I had my phone in my hand, desperately waiting for a taxi to turn up. They had then shut the B&B and not told the person on night duty that anyone else was expected. That person had also not been answering the phones, or anywhere in the vicinity of it to hear it ringing. There was no apology or realisation that they had messed up. We had no intention of staying there now, especially as were would be worried about our safety if anything happened in the night and we were unable to contact the management. Stay away from here - you cant trust a B&B that doesn't even have a doorbell! Unwelcoming to say the least. We just ended up spending a small fortune in taxis, in order to spend the most miserable hours of our lives!

Room Tip: stay anywhere else! it's not even very near Bamford!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Susan W
S A, Manager at Snake Pass Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review but I feel that this review has completely avoided the truth, me and my staff both tried to contact you many times on which we got no reply, as our closing time is 10.30pm and we hadn't heard anything from you we then stayed open till 11.30pm to see whether you turned up or contacted us, we aren't a 247 town hotel we are a quiet country inn, when you arrived at the country inn at 2.26am as it shows on the cameras you then proceeded to make a lot of noise and banging on every other residents windows and doors. I spoke to the lady and gentlemen in the apartment you are talking about in the morning to which they said you were all threatening to break down the door if you wasn't let in so they had no choice in which you ruined there nights sleep, they also informed me that you was arguing between yourselves saying that you knew you should of rang us to inform us you was going to be late, you managed to organise a taxi to us so you should of contacted us as well. You also say in your comment you tried to contact the country inn from the phone box outside but the other guests said you didn't and if you had I who was in the country inn watching tv would of heard but as I live around the back of the main building didn't hear you causing commotion around the front, the following morning my staff tried to contact you again after speaking to the apartment. All in all thank you for your review but we are a respected quiet country inn and don't appreciate drunken antics on our premises.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamford
George Hotel
#3 of 5 in Bamford
Causeway House
Causeway House
#2 of 13 in Castleton

Been to Snake Pass Inn? Share your experiences!