“Brilliant as usual”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Hope Cottage

Rear of cottage
View from back Master Bedroom
Rear of cottage
garden, drive and parking
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

RichardT3...
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Brilliant as usual”
Reviewed July 1, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

We have stayed at this cottage several times now, and find it a real home from home, and with Kerry the owner keeping an eye on things, seems to maintain a stable quality.
A minor fault with a jumping picture on the tv was mentioned and met with a resolution to sort this out quickly. I am sure this will be resolved with haste.
We like to try to leave the cottage at least as good as we find it, and feel we benefit in the long run when we return visit.
A decent quality cottage with exceptional views, well worth a look.

Date of stay: July 2017
Linda K
Herts
“Cottage lovely ,perfect location , gorgeous views.”
Reviewed April 5, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Perfect location for a wedding we were attending at "Yeldersley Hall".
Instruction for directions from Kerry (Owner) were great , and what a lovely Cottage. Would love to spend time here in the Summer months , so pretty. Comfortable beds , very clean and everything you would need for use in the kitchen. Loved watching the pheasants ,duck's ,and birds on the bird table.
Only small problem with was shower in en-suite, plenty of hot water but I think the hand control needs adjustment for ease of use. I have told relatives
who will be visiting the area that " Hope Cottage " is the place to stay ! Thank you Kerry for giving us extra time on arrival and leaving , such a great help.

Date of stay: March 2017
Your age range 65+
Paul B
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great location, great garden and house, let down by attention to detail”
Reviewed March 14, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

Stayed in the cottage in March for a walking weekend with friends. The cottage is clean and tidy, the gardens are huge and would be great in summer. An excellent food pub is within a short walk.

The stay could be improved with some changes:
The kitchen has wooden worktops, which look great, but you can't even put a cup down, so not great for letting.
The carpets are cream, not ideal for messy shoes. The owners acknowledge this,so why don't they change them?
The kitchen lacks the basic things you need, no washing up liquid, no oven gloves,no salt and pepper, for example.
There are no facilities for walkers, no hose for muddy boots, nowhere to store muddy boots.
There is wifi, but it is exceptionally slow.
The TVs in the cottage are old, and the one in the lounge flickers all the time.
There is a DVD player, but no DVDs
The main bedroom is massive, and onsuite and with great views. But the others are small and not great.
There is nothing to welcome you when you arrive, most places leave a bottle of milk at least, and many leave niceties like fresh eggs or even a cake, but nothing here.
No towells are provided, and the rules are a little draconian - you are expected to leave by 10AM which is a little early!
There is a washing machine, but no drying faciities.
With a bit more effort, this could be an amazing holiday let, so come on guys get it sorted!

Date of stay: March 2017
Mar 16, 2017
Thank you for your review Paul. We always welcome feedback from our stays and find it very helpful.

I am sorry that you found your stay with us lacking, I am not sure if you were aware that I contacted the lead guest on the morning after you checked in to ensure all was well and to see if there was anything you needed. I am sorry that you and I did not get to talk, whereby I might have been able to help resolve some of your issues for you. sooner. However, I was so concerned by your comments, I visited the cottage myself this morning to see for myself the issues that you raised and now I am in a better position to respond to your comments as I feel some issues may not be entirely accurate and others I may be able to provide some explanations for. Hopefully this may soften your view of your stay with us.

With respect to the worktops and carpets, where we are able, we try to provide; good quality finishes so that our guests can enjoy them when they stay. We just ask that people try and help prolong the integrity of these things by for example, using the coasters and heat proof mats we provide and not walking muddy boots on the carpet. Regardless of the colour of the carpet, we would ask guests to remove their shoes on the carpet as we often have children staying and we like to keep the carpets as clean as possible for them to play on. The hardwood floor in the kitchen and door entrance are hopefully muddy boot proof !

I have to say that I am surprised by your comments concerning our lack of basic provisions. We leave washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, rinse aid, dishwasher salt, bin liners, soap, cloths, scourers, sponges, toilet paper and spares, kitchen roll, tea towels, hand towels and silicone oven gloves amongst other bits and bobs. When I visited today I did find all of these items as we have a check list before handover, however I appreciate that you may have been looking for more traditional oven gloves and if there was no washing up liquid, I can only apologise. If you had let me know, I would have happily popped some over to you. I did also find 2 sets of salt and pepper in the wall cupboard.

We do not advertise ourselves as a walking cottage, however if you do decide to ever try us again , you may be happy to know that there is a hose and boot cleaner at the stable next door and a second hose in the garden behind the cottage.

I am sorry the wifi is slow, a curse of living in the country !

The TV in the lounge certainly isn’t new but it is a flatscreen and today at least, did not flicker. I checked the TV in the snug which also seemed ok but the one in the kitchen did seem to have a little wobble. so I will have this replaced. I will also organise to have some more DVD’s left at the house.

The second bedroom is actually only slightly smaller than the master but it is true that the two other bedrooms are smaller again. The bunk bed room is generally only used by children so I appreciate that the adults in your party may have found this a little prohibitive.

With regards to leaving some milk and cake, I am sure this is something we can certainly improve on.

Towels are noted as not included before you book, so hopefully this wasn’t too much of a surprise for you.

Unfortunately we have to have a 10am check out as we often have other parties arriving the same day, however within the information pack I sent to Carl, your lead guest, prior to your arrival, it does say to please let me know if you would like an earlier check-in / later check-out and if I can accommodate it, I will. I would have been happy to have extended this for you this weekend, as we have done with many of our other guests in the past.

We leave an airer and a washing line, which at least so far, have proved adequate but I will review this.

We rely on good reviews and ratings and work very hard to ensure our standards are kept high. I am very sorry again that these have not been met for you on this occasion.

All the vest best.
Reviewed November 9, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Timothy J...
“A Family holiday”
Reviewed September 5, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

The house was clean and sunny with a beautiful garden with plenty of fruit trees. These provided us with some good puddings during our stay !
The countryside around the property gives some good walking routes and an easy access to the Peak District National park.
Unfortunately the Wi-Fi access was not very good at all....
Disappointed only seeing the owners, the morning of our departure, when I went to see them.

Liked best: The garden
Liked least: The wi-fi connection was terribly difficult to access and very slow
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Sep 7, 2016
Dear Mr Davies

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you got some good puddings from our orchard !

I am sorry you didn't find the Wi-Fi very good, I have checked the router in the house and it is working as it should, however as we are very rural in location, the service provided is not as fast as you might find in a more urban setting, but hopefully the phone company might upgrade the area soon !

I am also very sorry that you wished to see us, I hadn't realised. I would have been more than happy to pop in as I was often near by during your stay, but I don't like to disturb our guests unnecessarily unless they ask to see me and as we had conversed via phone and email during your stay, I assumed that you were happy with this route of communication. I will check with our clients in future as to whether they would like to see me and not make the assumption, so thank you for this feedback. I am glad at least that we managed to say hello before your departure.

Wishing you all the very best.

Kerry
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: The Bar-B-Q is geting on a bit
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you for your lovely review NIgel. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope your partners Son has a wonderful time in Australia.

Best wishes.
NicLondon...
London
“Beautiful cottage”
Reviewed July 15, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We spend a long weekend in the Manor House to celebrate our wedding, and also had the cottage booked for some of our guests.
The cottage is beautifully made, very newly decorated but kept in the cosy cottage style. Its well maintained and clean, and had all amenities we needed. The terrace and overall grounds are stunning, all flowers were in bloom and the far reaching grounds were perfect for a little stroll, and for the kids to play.
Kerry was a fantastic host, helping us with all our questions and always at hand to everything planned out for our special weekend.
The cottage is in a beautiful countryside location but close the pretty town of Ashbourne, but you will need a car to get around.

Date of stay: June 2016
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing