“Lovely food with quick service”

Mainsail Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Lovely food with quick service”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We ate here at half term, when the queue was 20 deep. We got seated quicker than expected and chose sandwiches and cakes. All were delicious, turkey salad, egg mayo and bacon and tuna. On soft granary bread with a garnish. They were not more than 10 minutes after ordering, which with a packed restaurant, we were surprised with. All staff were efficient but friendly and helpful with our toddler and older son. We have eaten here probably 5 times or more in the past couple of years and haven't been disappointed yet. Prices are slightly above average, but the quality I think is worth the extra.

• Visited February 2014

Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal in fantastic surroundings”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Recently visited for our staff Christmas lunch and can't speak highly enough about the food, service and atmosphere in the restaurant.
Enjoyed an outstanding three course Christmas menu that was not only beautifully cooked, but presented with care and style, a difficult thing to do with a full house of hungry Christmas lunchers!
Staff were all superb from the kind gentleman who took our coats on entry to the helpful serving girls who politely looked after our needs.
Will certainly return again and will certainly book next years Xmas lunch there!

• Visited December 2013
Belper, United Kingdom
“Nice location shame about the service”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by for a coffee during a beautiful walk. The seat I wanted to sit on was dirty with food over it (bearing in mind it was Sunday morning so must have been there overnight) I asked for a napkin to wipe the dirt and neither of the 2 members of staff came to wipe it with a cloth...I did it myself. Cappuccino cost 2.50 and tasted like hot water...no flavour. It did come out of a push button machine with barely any milk. For that price I would have expected them to have made it using the milk jug and whipped froth method (they had a frother arm on machine...just didn't use it). I did approach the unfriendly/unhelpful staff to inform them of this and I just got a stern reply saying lots of people drink it and don't complain. She also said no water passes through the system. I saw it with my own eyes when it was being made. Hmmm won't come here again in a hurry.

• Visited December 2013
Carsington, Owner at Mainsail Restaurant, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to The Mainsail Restaurant at Carsington Water, obviously I was disappointed to read your review.

Clearly this is not the service that we strive to achieve. I would be grateful if the customer who left this review would kindly contact me, on 01629 540363 in order for me to ascertain more details of your visit in order to rectify the issues.

We do not use a manual machine but use a fully automatic machine, We use fresh semi skimmed milk and Rijo coffee beans. We are more than happy to add an extra shot to make it stronger to suit personal taste.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused and I look forward to hearing from you shortly

It is totally unacceptable level of service and I can assure you this is not our normal procedure or practise.
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“What a view!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Obviously best on a sunny day when you can sit outside on the balcony on the first floor with views of the hills and the reservoir. We had good value drinks and cakes.

• Visited October 2013
Derby, England
“Check first – assumptions may prove erroneous!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Wanting an afternoon snack we chose tea and an Oat Cookie, which looked good and perhaps home made with some kind of dried fruit.

On eating it tasted a bit different; we checked and were told it contained chocolate.

We were very surprised at this, and were told that the notices said that customers should notify any food allergies. While that’s ok to let the café off the hook, we just couldn’t understand why the ‘chef’ would put hidden chocolate into an Oat Cookie. We could understand making the Cookie chocolate coated, or calling it a ‘Chocolate Chip Oat Cookie’ - but it was neither.

If we’d ordered coffee and walnut cake it wouldn’t have occurred to us to enquire whether the cake contained chocolate, in the same way it didn’t occur to us to enquire whether the Oat Cookie contained chocolate.

Perhaps most disappointing was the fact that there were so many obviously chocolate items on display (which was fine) and the ‘chef’ hadn’t considered it might be good to ensure there were alternatives available for those who might have problems with chocolate.

So do visit and enjoy the view, but perhaps it’s best not to make too many assumptions – no matter how reasonable they may seem – about what’s in the food.

• Visited October 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the Oat Cookie at The Main Sail Restaurant

You are quite correct in believing that the cake label describing the product should be descriptive enough to identify the main ingredients of a product.

This issue was rectified the following day and I can assure you that our cake labels are more descriptive where necessary
We make all our menu items and cakes in our kitchen on site and as such can clearly produce an ingredient list for every single menu item we produce.

We pride ourselves in being able to provide flexibility for all dietary requirements

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused