“A warm, comfortable village pub”
Review of Cavendish Arms

Cavendish Arms
Ranked #72 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The previous incarnation of this pub had very tired decor and seemed to be solely for the hardened drinker (despite a very genial landlord). The recent(ish) refurbishment has breathed new life into the building and it feels like a very comfortable village pub. Since the recent management took over the food has been both good quality and decently priced and they host a number of events in the pub (family and music events, themed parties, etc.) and are open to other ideas.

As someone who appreciates a good ale I have had a number of excellent pints there (e.g. Old Speckled Hen, Timothy Taylor and Tribute). I can understand the comments about a cold reception but this is changing and give it a chance and you will have a lovely evening there.

There are newer reviews for Cavendish Arms

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and myself visited the Cavendish Arms on Saturday lunch time on the basis of the glowing reviews the place has received. We arrived at about 12.15, as we entered the place was empty except for the person behind the bar, who when she saw us immediately took herself off to the far corner of the bar behind a pillar where she buried her nose into a mug of tea(?). I followed her, she stared at me, I said hello and she managed to grunt a response. I asked if we could get lunch, she replied 'We can do food'. It was obvious that she would rather not be bothered so my wife and myself immediately left and went to a much more friendly pub,
Car parking is adequate and the building seems attractive and comfortable.

1  Thank Clive S
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I've tried reporting this as incorrect address in the past, but no change.
Correct postcode is DE6 5JR. 13 miles from Ashbourne. Confusion because postal address seems to use street name and town, not village name (Doveridge) or postcode.
Please delete this review once you've read it.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We ate in here last week I think it was a thursday. The pub seems quite pleasant inside if a tad pretentious. We both ate main meals and were dissapointed as hardly cheap or reasonable. Same old really for a refurb joint like this which is "Pub Food at Restaraunt Prices". Save your money and go into Uttoxeter. The food in Wetherspoons is nicer and obviously much cheaper.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We live in Doveridge and have today had Sunday lunch at the Cavendish Arms , it's under new management and lunch was great, we all really enjoyed it