“Be prepared to wait for food.”
Review of Stepping Stones

Stepping Stones
Ranked #31 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Next to the Travelodge Hotel, five minute drive from Ashbourne Town centre and twenty minute drive from Alton Towers and Derby City Centre. Easy access from A52 and A50 and open every day.
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a pleasant meal here on a very wet Wednesday lunchtime in February. We were passing again and thought we'd go back - coincidentally on a very wet Friday lunchtime.

On both occasions the pub has not been busy but on both occasions we've had a long wait for the food although the service by Jackie and a young man was pleasant. I had a vegetarian tart with vegetables, "upgrading" to sweet potato fries. It was all tasty although the veg were quite cold. My husband however was disappointed with his steak and egg: both were overcooked and the chips were soggy.

If you're happy with average pub chain food and aren't in a rush, this'll do but we won't be going back.

1  Thank UKCleopatra2013
AshbourneBob, Manager at Stepping Stones, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2014

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that you did not really enjoy your visit, as not all of your meals were to the standard that they should be. You certainly should not have to wait long, and then be unhappy with your meals. I would be very appreciative if you could contact us and allow us to try to correct what happened. Thank you for your honesty and feedback.

There are newer reviews for Stepping Stones

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I visited here with friends whilst staying at the travelodge next door.
The food was nice but we had to wait almost an hour from ordering...it wasn't even that busy! Standard style menu and was nice enough but not worth the wait.
Staff were very fried fit.

Thank you for your comments after your visit. I am very sorry that you had to wait so long for your food, as this should not be the case even if we are extremely busy. Without knowing more details I could not give a definite answer, however, if you would be able to contact us I assure you I will do everything I can to find some answers and find a better conclusion for both of us. Thank you for your feedback, it makes a huge difference to us and allows us to constantly improve.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed at the Travelodge next door, when visiting Alton Towers for a couple of days (only 20 minute drive away).

I dined alone and was very well looked after by the waitress. It is typical pub freezer food, but it was delivered without delay and very edible. The prices were quite reasonable too.

Would not hesitate to recommend and would certainly visit again if I was in the area and wanted some good pub food, served promptly.

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your visit to us after visiting Alton Towers. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were staying in the travelodge across the road so this was a very convenient place for us to eat in the evening. Unfortunately they do not open up until 12noon so do not serve breakfast. The meals were lovely, large portions and great value for money for two of us with drinks. Food was served very quickly (We ate here two nights in a row) and always delicious.

1  Thank ehmahh

Thank you for your feedback, and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your visits with us. Your comments are what we are always working towards, and it is with great satisfaction to all of us when things are as they should always be. We hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! Overpriced pub food. Should have realised when the 3 people on the next table downed their drinks and left, leaving 3 just started meals on their plates.
We were told there was a waiting time for food of half an hour. We ordered and it arrived in 10 minutes.The chicken roti bbq melt consisted of very cold new potatoes, a half warm sweetcorn and a very very dry chicken with a tiny sliver of bacon [least I think it was bacon] and a congealed minimum amount of cheese that had shrunk to oblivion. No sauce of any kind which would have helped and no portions of butter with either the cold potatoes or sweetcorn. They did bring some hot potatoes but by then I had lost my appetite. My wife's fish and chips was an unappetising soggy batter mess. This place is miles from anywhere walking so don't leave it too late at night or you are trapped. Never again.

1  Thank Skippydoodoo

Thank you for your comments. I am extremely sorry and disappointed that you did not enjoy your food, and clearly things were not right when you dined. I would appreciate if you could contact us and I will do everything I can to try to find out what went so wrong. We appreciate your feedback, and if possible would like to try to put it right.