“The best homemade pub food I've ever experienced!”

The Bowling Green Inn
Ranked #3 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a long day at Alton Towers theme park, a very hungry family turned up in Ashbourne and after learning that most of the pubs had stopped serving food we were recommended by a bar lady to head to the top of the hill to The Bowling Green Inn. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely warm pub where all the tables had already been reserved for the evening but the staff were very kind and managed to fit five of us in the bar area at a table. All the staff were extremely friendly and they took our order promptly. The food was homemade and locally sourced, which made it extra special, and despite this the prices were not too expensive at all (between £8 and £15). We each had a different dish, I chose the steak and Doombar pie which was absolutely delicious, Dad had a locally sourced rump steak which he said was cooked to perfection, Mum had chicken breast topped with haggis which came with a lovely sauce, my brother had what he called "the best pub fish and chips ever" and my boyfriend had lasagne which came with toasted garlic bread. All the plates were completely empty at the end of the meal and everyone was extremely complimentary about everything in the venue.
I would definitely recommend the pub and restaurant to everyone as being the best homemade pub food I've ever experienced and I've already given out some of their business cards to friends.
One tip... Just to make sure you get a chance to sample the delicious cuisine, perhaps reserve a table before you go! (Although hopefully you get lucky like we did!)

There are newer reviews for The Bowling Green Inn

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this place a few times and always have the steak on the 2 for £12 menu. Always cooked to perfection to each persons taste. Brilliant.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Steak dinners for eight, plus quiz. Only negative point was location was top of steep hill. The portions were generous, although the Creme Brûlée was a tad challenging. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed in Ashbourne went on Saturday had the fillet steak was so nice went back again Sunday had chicken again all amazing staff really nice prices excellent shall be going again and again

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stumbled on this pub after walking in Dovedale, what a find. The friendly staff presented excellent food and hospitality. There were six of us sampling 4 steaks, a massive pie and beetroot veggie tart. All came with amble extras so there was no need to add any side orders.
I would go again when in the area,.
Great pub try it out.