“Excellent definitely go back”

The Bowling Green Inn
Ranked #3 of 94 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Didn't know what to expect went because of reviews off this site/app and couldn't of made a better choice.Lovely atmosphere,great service and even better food.Very reasonably priced for two main meals,four drinks and a pudding it was under £30!Would recommend it to anyone and will go back!!!Great place made our night!!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Arrived to meet up with family at noon on a December weekday. Warm welcome from the barmaid. Half a dozen other customers. Pleasant surroundings. Good quality pub food, plainly served, reasonably priced. Nothing sensational but would come again knowing we could get a decently prepared and filling meal. Didn’t really notice the time passing as we were chatting away but possibly service was a little slow – wonder how quick delivery would be if the place was bursting?

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I spent last night with my partner in the bowling green inn and all I can say is that it was a fantastic way to welcome in the new year. The bar staff were all very friendly and efficient - the buffet (included in the very reasonable ticket price) was first class and beautifully presented! The entertainment was brilliant; music for all ages, a fun and traditional welcome to the new year was provided by the host and this was all topped off by a performance of Scottish bagpipes and drums - the atmosphere, food and drink was tremendous - I would definitely return to this pub for future special occasions!

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We headed to them Bowling Green because of its good reputation on trip advisor.
We had not booked thinking its 8:30pm mid week, however we only just got a table so I would advise booking.
We orders a variety of starters & all looked nice, I had a haggis & black pudding with a peppercorn sauce that was very tasty but also very large. I'd have been happy with half as much.
For main course we all had Steak either fillet or rump all were cooked to perfection accompanied with chips or a creamy mash potatoe, home made onion ring, buttery corn, tomato mushroom.
We skipped a desert so no can't comment but the service was excellent from the young waitress who was knowlagable about the dishes & expressed a genuine wish that the service & food were good.
The reastarunt / pub it's self although fine could do with a little make over. But this should not detract from the wonderful food.
I would return

2  Thank Rodders27
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am local to Ashbourne but for some reason had never set foot in The Bowling Green Inn until this year. I have now been four times and the food has been perfect every time.
I would advise to book as the restaurant/bar area is only about 10 tables in total - however saying that it seems to be pretty quiet early on and gets busier (my fault for being an early tea-eater).

The staff are all great; friendly and the right amount of attentive-ness - if that's a word.
Treat yourself to a baked Camember sharer starter if you dare - served with warm bread, amazing! However when we've had this we couldn't manage a pudding so be warned.
Haddock fishcake also very good - I haven't tried any other starters, however when in a group, one of us tried the haggis and black pudding stack starter and it was very much enjoyed.

I'm afraid that we can only review the steak - it was SO nice the first time that it's all I've craved when going back! The steaks come cooked excellently (medium for us) - the chef obviously knows what he/she is doing. I like the accompaniments of mushrooms, (homemade) onion rings and especially a buttery corn on the cob - different but very well received.
Just a little bit of posh lettuce on the side dressed with balsamic.
The homemade chips are fabulous - but my favourite is the dauphinois. Different to how I'd make the dish at home - no obvious onions or garlic, but there is something about the flavour creamy, cheesy and crispy on the outside that is just lovely.
Have tried all the accompanying sauces and the one that suits my tastes the most is the cajun, it's delicious. The pepper is also very good. The only piece of feedback I might have is to offer a stilton sauce as well - but we can't have everything - and there will be some of you I expect who wouldn't dream of having a sauce with steaks.
You can also add haggis or scampi to your steak for a little extra - again which is different but a nice touch.

The puddings are great - a bit on the expensive side perhaps? Not sure - but decent portions. I'm a cheesecake lover so the white chocolate and raspberry was good for me. Sticky toffee pudding, chocolate cake and Bakewell tart also good. Staff very accommodating - would even serve cold custard for one of us when we went in a group - something which other pubs have refused to do.

It's very cosy in the bar area so I would recommend to sit there on a quiet day - as I have noticed it can be a bit cold in the restaurant if it's not busy. This is the only reason I've put 4* for atmosphere and not 5*.

They also run a pub quiz on a Sunday which everyone is welcome to join in.

In summary - definitely recommended, get yourselves up there!