“Best Pub/Restaurant i have ever been to!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Okeover Arms

The Okeover Arms
Ranked #5 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best Pub/Restaurant i have ever been to!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have stayed here 5 times now and every time it's as great as the last! Great friendly management and an inviting atmosphere! The accommodation is exceptional value for money and the food is perfect, even homemade hand cut chips! The belly pork is my favourite!
With all of this and the added bonus of picture postcard surroundings it makes the Okeover Arms the perfect weekend away. I would highly recommend this to anyone!

Derby, United Kingdom
“Good food but the place has something missing....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We visited here mid-week and found the food to be very good and plentiful although we did have to wait for nearly 45 minutes for the food to arrive. We had a child in our party and she was really struggling with the longer than average wait. However, once it arrived it was lovely - our steaks were cooked just as we'd ordered and we were waited on by a polite young waiter. The only negative point really is the general decor and feel of the place. On the night we went the bar area was fairly full whereas the restaurant area was empty yet the tables and chairs looked as if they'd been abandoned. Doesn't seem very well laid out somehow?? It seems a bit of a mish mash. A few bare walls where it looks as if pictures have hung at one time and then very modern canvas prints that just don't match the rest of the decor? Shame really as the food and service were good.

Lichfield
“Could have been so much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I visited here yesterday lunchtime and met up with good friends. I chose this venue having checked out previous reviews form tripadvisor contributors which, in the main, were very favourable and it's location was convenient to both couples. Unfortunately it fell short of my expectations. Little positive ambience in what is a long open drinking/dining area with unlit fires at either end, even though it was a very chilly autumn day. My choice, and that of one other of our group from a promising menu was the belly pork with black pudding which was served with 'real chips' and fresh vegetables. I was expecting slow cooked meat with crackling but was a little disappointed with the two rounds of pork which were undercooked and a little chewy. Pleasant waiter delivered the meal to our table without black pudding which when queried had apparently been overlooked by the chef. One small slice of black pudding each arrived some minutes later having been quickly prepared following my query. Chips and veg. were ok. My bread and butter pudding to follow was another let down - it tasted like a pudding from a supermarket chiller cabinet, with an unexpected texture, although the custard was ok.
As the meal was a reunion with friends I did not make a fuss which would have spoiled the occasion, but felt moved to write this review which would appear to be in contrast with some of the previous reviews on this site. No matter - I always review as I find and can only say that I would not eat here again.

2 Thank Silversurfer5956
Staffordshire Moorlands
“Main course ok, but my dessert was very synthetic and not good value.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Met up with old friends at The Okeover Arms today,and as it is a bright, but chilly autumn day a fire or some heating would have been very welcome.

The waiter was pleasant enough, and the venue was clean and tidy, but really only average..

The menu was quite limited, but my choice of butternut squash and goat's cheese lasagna was alright, the salad garnish ok, with well cooked and crispy chips.

My friend has a wheat intolerance and there was nothing to suit her needs on the dessert menu.

The Malteser Torte tasted of nothing much, and looked very synthetic..........the only clue to its creation was one Malteser chocolate on top. It was a very small portion, and at £3.95 I dont consider it to be value for money.I think £2.75p would have been a fairer price.

Dont think I will return.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hull
“Hidden treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a b&b close by (didn't know about the hotel then) for a 2 day walking break with our dog. Lovely to see a "children, dogs & muddy boots" welcome sign outside :-) food was excellent; piping hot, great quality and value. Everyone made a fuss of our Schnauzer and also made us feel very welcome. Had one or 2 beers each night (it would have been rude not to) and met some lovely people. Free wifi which was a bonus as signals are bad round the area. Will be back same time next year and will be booking a room here hopefully.

• Visited May 2013