“Good Sunday Carvery”
Review of The Okeover Arms

The Okeover Arms
Ranked #11 of 97 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant while holidaying in the area. The pub/restaurant was friendly and 'no frills', ideal as a stop-off if you're walking. We opted for the Sunday carvery and were not disappointed. Not the place for a romantic meal but very good food and very good value.

1  Thank BandNGuildford

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was a great pub, it says under new management and looks like it has been recently decorated. It was bright and airy and the staff were great. It suited us as we had been walking to Dovedale and it allowed dogs, so we stopped for a drink on the way back to camp site. But also the following day we returned for the Sunday carvery which was nice, starters and desserts were great. Would recommend you drop in.

1  Thank bfromrugby
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Okeover Arms is a warm, friendly pub located a few miles out of Ashbourne town centre.
I have had lots of fantastic meals here since the new owners, Sid and Jean, took over in Dec 2012. The menu is varied with lots of different meat dishes and caters for veggies too. There are always a few specials on too. I particularly love the carvers on a Sunday. The portions of meat are extremely generous and then you can help yourself to a variety of fresh veg and yorkies. This pub is popular with locals too. I definitely recommend the steaks, homemade chips and the prawn starter. The chef, Jean, will cater for requirements too (obviously within reason).
The service is great, there's a wide range of drinks and I'm told the variety of real ales are great and worth a try (I'm more of a cider girl!).
Food and drinks are reasonably priced leaving left over cash for the homemade, devine desserts.
If you want an evening of good company, pleasant service and great pub grub get down for a visit - there's even a beer garden :)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited this pub a couple of weeks ago at the end of a short walk from Thorpe - it's setting is classic country pub: striking white building, cute village, nestled in a valley, it's backdrop a green hillside full of sheep and the odd hill walker.

We got a lovely warm greeting at the bar and were served our drinks quickly, impressively so given it was Sunday lunch and the place was buzzing with both diners and drinkers. We arrived too late for the Carvery, it was sold out (a testament to its popularity) but were still able to order a delicious lamb roast dinner and a burger which were both generous in portion size and beautifully cooked

The Okeover Arms seems to have got it right where so many other pubs haven't:

- they serve great food, cooked freshly to order
- they welcome walkers, families, muddy boots
- the place is clean and has a lovely family feel
- excellent outside play area for the kids,
- dogs are given a warm welcome in the bar area, ours even benefited from a few treats from the kitchen!

We aren't often moved to write a post on trip advisor, this in only our second one in nearly a year....however The Okeover warrants it and we would highly recommend that you give it a go!!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We decided to have a run out to this pub after I read the reviews give it a go I thought.!!
A large greyhound lay in the restaurant floor so we sat in the bar area and perused the menu. Father had Sausages and mash sourced from local butcher I chose the burger the same locally sourced with salad.
The bar got busy and in came five of the largest dogs ever seen !! animals that is, I love dogs but an Alsatian stood at the bar and shook himself which ended with his fur flying in my mouth !! so I said we will move down as a table had become available in the restaurant (if you can call it that) off we went, I took the cutlery and place mats with me, the food later arrived my burger was in a huge bun not toasted , I had asked for it not to be burnt , it was ! the whole meal was crammed on a small plate and not eating chips I did not want a ton of coleslaw, when I say no chips salad with no tomatoes and dressing on the side I mean just that, don't think you are doing me a favor by giving me a bucket of coleslaw on it !! I asked for another burger the waitress said she had not taken my order, No its the chefs fault not yours. The new burger arrived same plate they had had it under a heat lamp as the salad had dried up this burger looked OK it was raw in the middle., at this point Father had made his way through the tasteless sausages and mash so I went to the bar to settle the bill.
I informed the young girl the burger was raw and she presented me with the bill no comment.
I asked if this was a privately owned establishment or brewery " I don't know" was the reply at this point I gave up and left.
What is this place aiming for ? the curtains are hanging off the curtain hooks, holes in the plaster where pictures have been hanging and a table with no chairs its very miss match but with some attention to detail, perhaps some tea lights for ambiance and move some furniture about so it doesn't look like they are moving overnight and a chef who can cook !!
The good thing I can say was the floor was clean albeit the cleaning fluid and cloth were on the end of the bar laugh I nearly cried what can tourists think of our standards I do not know.