“Outstanding food, outstanding service, my new favourite restaurant!!”

The Royal Oak Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 98 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Wow what a turnaround!! We spend a lot of time away on business up in Ashbourne and have always used this pub and its always done the job as a stop over but now it appears to have been taken over and turned into something which is just brilliant.
The menu is nothing like what you would expect in a pub, it's different, original(the lamb tagine is to die for!) and unbelievably good value I had to double check my bill twice as I thought I had been undercharged!!
I doubt this place will stay a secret for long, I promise you you will want to return!!

1  Thank emily h

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I visit the Royal Oak from time to time and did so again over the weekend the new management were polite and professional, the food was well presented and the new menu a nice change. I had the lamb with couscous and my partner had steak which were both excellent and both reasonably priced. In all a gem of a country pub well worth a visit .

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We booked dinner for two here after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. As it was Sunday evening, the restaurant was quiet and the waitress/barmaid gave us the ‘reduced’ Sunday evening menu. In fact, many other local restaurants are closed altogether on Sunday evenings.

Upon enquiring about vegetarian options, we were pleasantly surprised to be offered no less than three choices as well as an additional fish dish – sea bass. For the starter we ordered an assortment of delicious, warm breads with olives to share, for the main course we ordered the sea bass and a pasta dish and for dessert the home-made apple crumble.

The starter was brought out to us by the chef himself, as he wanted to find out how I would like my pasta to be cooked. We were very impressed by this personalised service. The sea bass was beautifully served in a basket with a lid and had been cooked to perfection with a very tasty variety of fresh herbs and other ingredients. The chef clearly takes pride in his work and is very creative in his art. The waitress/barmaid was also very friendly and professional.

Although the pub is very unassuming, it surpassed our expectations and we have no doubts about recommending it.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for the third time. Rooms are spacious and airy. Lovely fluffy towels. Excellant breakfast. Staff and regulars pleasant and friendly. As we were visiting family will deffinately stay here again. Thanks to all.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were a party of 7 (4 adults and 3 children), our original plan was to have a meal at another pub a few miles away, we were turned away, instantly due to being busy!
My friend phoned up the Royal Oak and asked if it would be OK for us to come (keep in mind with young children) and it was past 7pm.
They were very accommodating and confirmed it would not be a problem.
So 30 mins later we arrived, the reception was very friendly, we sat down and looked at the menus, at first glance it seems the options are a little limited but including the specials makes the number of choices good.
Between us we had the Chilli Con Carny, Steak and Ale pie and a fish dish, between the children they had sausage and the fish meals (the child's fish and chips looked fantastic).
The food came and it was really, really good, we all ate our mains and went onto the puddings.
There was a little mix up with one of the children's desserts but the staff did not hesitate and came back (to the delight of my youngest) with the correct one.
We have lived in the area for several years and have not been in here for around 5, all I can say is that this has been a very pleasent find and that we will be visiting again :)