“Food good but lacks atmosphere.”
Review of The Yeaveley Arms

The Yeaveley Arms
Ranked #19 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Yeaveley Arms stands proud in the centre of the village of Yeaveley opposite the village church. Taken over by three local guys in August 2017 who aim to bring the pub back to life after it being closed and left dormant for four years! Yeaveley Arms has undergone a massive refurbishment. We reopened for wet trade on Monday 6th November, and launched The Pear Tree Restaurant on 1st December. Our menu will be top end pub grub at affordable prices in our bar area, and slightly more upmarket in the restaurant and both have a good choice of dishes to please everybody’s pallet. A warm, traditional pub.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Not quite up to the level of it's sister pub "The Saracen's Head" at Shirley, a few miles away. As both establishments are under the same ownership, I think "The Yeaveley Arms" will definitley become a destination gastropub before very long.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at a local B&b and althought there were other food places suggested, after going here my first night I returned three nights on the run. Food was lovely, especially the squash and potatoe soup which I had all three nights.
I actually ate here on my own and the staff were really friendly, although the worst night was probably the Friday when they were the busiest.
Atmosphere was also lovely and I would recommend anyone staying in the area to visit this pub, you wont be disappointed.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Pleasant gastropub environment that tries really hard but serves uncomfortably large portions. It is not necessary to have huge cod steaks drowning in an ocean of sauce accompanied by billions of butterbeans and a squadron of unnecessary (huge) tigerprawns (which are tasteless nonsense anyway). To finish two courses is a feat (and I am a fifteen stone glutton). Three courses is for those who fancy a seriously gluttonous challenge. The menu presses all the right buttons (although it is too long) but can I just suggest spending a little less money on volume of food while spending a little more time on subtlety?
Please do go though, the service is friendly, and the butcher block bread board a nice way of using that bit of dead space...

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We first visited for a meal about 3 years ago. On our last visit we were the only customers and it was all a bit awkward to say the least. Having heard good reviews from other friends we decided to give it another try.

What a change!

We were there on a Wednesday night and the place was pretty much full (good job we had booked). The staff were all very friendly, polite and knew what they were doing.

The menu is simply written on a blackboard on the wall, but what a great choice of food - far from your standard pub grub. For starters we had box baked brie, pate, crab and avacado salad and a great continental meat platter for starters, all served with a great range of breads.

On the mains we had, half a crispy duck, beef stroganoff, rack of lamb and quiche with salad. All of these were of excellent quality with great presentation.

As has been noted in other reviews the portions are large, none of us could manage a desert and that's quite rare for us as sweet fans !

Overall a most pleasant evening, with great food, good atmosphere and pleasant staff. Well done, we'll see you again soon.

1  Thank FoodieFred
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Went for the second time on Saturday having previously been on Boxing Day. Same excellent food and service by polite and accomodating staff. Had ran out of the fish my wife and I wanted but the chef created the same dish using another type of fish. Good value for money. Will return again.

2  Thank TRAVELMANDerby