“Lovely food, excellent staff and a great atmosphere!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Red Chilli Indian Restaurant of Ashbourne
Ranked #47 of 94 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ashbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, excellent staff and a great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently had a meal at the Red Chilli in Ashbourne and we were not disappointed. Yes the food is pricier than other Indians, but it's worth paying the extra. It's tasty and well cooked and the atmosphere is great. We dined on a Saturday night and the restaurant was packed. However the service never slipped once and credit must be given to the staff. We did have to wait a while for the food but we didn't mind at all as our drinks were topped up and don't mind waiting when the food is all cooked to order. Definitely recommend.

1 Thank Charlotte H

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Good Indian.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Ate here with a friend on a Thursday evening.
We had poppadoms and pickles, starters and mains. The lime pickle is deathly hot!
For starters we had samosas and garlic prawn puri. The puri was a new-try and was nice although could have done with a few more flavours in there.

For main we had lamb biriyani, chicken tikka jalfrezi, chips and a chilli and cheese nan.
Chips were average fries, but the actual dishes were nice and tasty and good strength, and the chilli and cheese nan was amazing - full of both chilli and cheese.
We didn't realise the biriyani came separate with lamb and a pile of rice on one plate, and the veg curry sauce in a bowl - so my friend had lots to eat, which she couldn't manage!

We asked if we could take the leftovers home for my friends' hungry hubby - this was all fine as they do takeaway too so was not a problem.

Can't say much for the wines though as we had one of the cheapest whites so I can't say how good the more expensive ones are (and I am not a connoiseur!).

Pretty good value really and we had an enjoyable evening. In my opinion it is the better of the two Indian restaurants in Ashbourne - the other is VERY slow service, and looking at current reviews can see that this hasn't changed - as in you are drunk before you receive your dishes slow (yes even if you have booked); due to a 2 hour wait on an empty stomach, and I think the quality here is better too. (I don't often complain - check my other reviews).

The Red Chilli is a quieter atmosphere but perhaps undeservedly so.

Cheshunt, United Kingdom
“Expensive for an average meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

The meal was average and expensive. The samosa's pastry was dry and no flavour. The main meal was average but the sauce on the shaslick was very rich and felt I was eating a chinese rather than Indian. Overall not impressed.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nottingham England
“Very expensive for a sub standard meal!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at Callow top and ordered a takeaway meal that was delivered. The prices were very expensive, but I dont mind as long as I get a nice meal!!!
Found them very rude on the phone and when I asked for a breakdown in price they were not helpful at all.
When the meal arrived, it was luke warm, and because we didnt have a microwave, we couldnt heat it up.
The popadoms were soft and the lamb tikka was extremely tough!!! We ordered 2 rice between the 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child) and normally this is more than sufficient, but the rice containers were not even full.
would not recommend this!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank paulette_hancock
Sarwar A, General Manager at Red Chilli Indian Restaurant of Ashbourne, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. We take our customer feedback seriously. We are always trying to keep our prices competitive and we believe that they are in the derbyshire and derby city area.

I can recall speaking to you when taking the order and if anyway I was rude to you I do apologise. The first thing you said to me before making the order was that we are really expensive. You wanted a breakdown of the price yet you had a menu at callowtop and we also have a menu on our website.

I am sorry that you received your food luke warm and we do try to ensure our food leaves the building within 15 minutes of being prepared. Our delivery driver at the time took three deliveries in one go and we apologise for the service.

I will be speaking with our staff to make sure all of the points are addressed.
Dursley, United Kingdom
“Very good Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

An unplanned visit on a quiet Thursday night, recommended by a local hotel. Food was excellent, the meat in my Lamb Jalfrezi was beautifully tender.

1 Thank OJDurzle