“MORE THAN A RESERVOIR!”
Review of Carsington Water

Carsington Water
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Ashbourne
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our relatives took us there when we stayed with them in nearby Duffield. I expected a reservoir and nothing else. However, there is an interesting visitors' centre, shops and a restaurant, as well as a modern reproduction of standing stones. Each stone has a hole through which you can view various aspects of the water. We walked from the visitors' centre via the bird watching area to the Sheepwash. It was fairly flat and an easy walk. The birding area was wonderful - telescopes and binoculars available and a very enthusiastic lady who talked about the "regulars" as well as unusual bird sightings. The weather was not terrific but it was a delightful place in which to spend as much time as you wish. I am not sure if you have to pay for parking but the rest of the place is free.

1  Thank Linda-wanderer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

If you are thinking of going here for the day I would say check the weather forecast first as it can be quite miserable on a cold wet day. On the plus side if the weather is nice it can be an really enjoyable day out, if you fancy just chilling with a picnic or planning a four hour walk or walking around the complex buying one or two things to remind you of your day out. There's a lovely café there which do meals, a take away bar which do snacks and a ice cream bar which sells drinks too. The views are stunning across the water and beyond. Car park is about £2.50 for the day, so if want a cheap day out aswell it can work out that way if you want. We have just competed the four hour walk all the way around, we parked in the free car park, which is just further down the road and bought a picnic so we didn't spend a penny and thoroughly enjoyed our day out.

1  Thank andrewjason
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I decided to go to carsington water instead of staying at home and watch the TV, it was a decision that I didn't regret. The weather was a bit breezy but the sun was very bright, I spent a very pleasant hour walking along to stones island were I spent another twenty minuets just looking at the scenery and taking plenty of photographs. I then walked back to the main building were I had a very tasty dinner with lovely views. Had plenty of help from the staff at the rspb shop in identifying the birds that were landing on my lawn, I was then able to buy the correct type of food for them. If you want to go somewhere to have a nice quiete day out I would certainly recommend Carsington.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful scenery, lovely walks, great visitors centre with free activities for small children, good playground, great sailing and wildlife. It's flat for cycling too.

Overall, a great place for a picnic and a family day out.

We've never been disappointed.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Came across this on our way going through The Peak District, we stopped here for lunch and were very surprised with what the place has to offer !
A good restaurant, shops, toilets, disabled facilities, wonderful views, bike rides, hiking trails, a really good place to come, for at least a couple of hours, or longer if you require.
Excellent parking as well.
Food in the restaurant very good for value, and quality too.
Do try and go, if you are in the area.
Paul and Joan Bennett