“Great family site”

Callow Top Holiday Park
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
“Great family site”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Arrived on Friday for a two night stay with my husband and son. Great family site - the facilities for kids are great. We stayed on field 4 which was close to everything, although a bit noisy at night with people coming back and forth. Swimming pool and playground keep the kids busy and there is a nice family atmosphere around the place. There is a shop which sells everything you might need and at a reasonable price too. Toliet facilities were always clean and not many queues either. You do have to pay 20p for a shower but they were hot and clean. On a negative, we found it hard to sleep with the small anount of people who weren't bothered about the 11pm curfew - ask for a pitch further away form the cafe area and this probably wouldn't be a problem.
Will definately return with kids in tow!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Five days enjoying the Peak district was not spoilt by camping at Callow Top but getting off site early became a priority. Frustration was the biggest emotion with proper management it could have been really good. Firstly there are not nearly enough toilets and showers. We were on field six which is a large 5ish acre field, the toilets are in one corner consisting of 4 ladies and 4 gents toilets. The trek to the toilet for some was probably three hundred yards. Showers and washing up facilities were a further 100 yds away. This meant that people were washing up and personal washing in the three basins within the toilet, meant for washing your hands! After going to the loo you frequently had to wait 5 or 6 mins just to be hygenic!! Perhaps also because of the very high usage the cleanliness was terrible.

On the first day our kids were desperate to go for a swim in the pool. With, at one count, over 80 others swiming this was not so pleasurable, especially as no one took any notice of the clear rules stating no jumping, diving or bombing if over 20 people are in the pool. It was a complete free for all and my son was hit by a large adult with beer bottle ( No glass in pool area sign ignored) in hand who decided to jump in to the mass of swimmers. None of the children wanted to go again!

On the positives the cafe served decent food at a reasonable price, I loved the home brewed beer and all the staff were very pleasant.

2 Thank BBDOM44

Travelers are raving about these Ashbourne hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed at callow top for two nights last weekend for the first time and we had a wonderful time.We were staying in a tent with our 3 children and were in field six which was a well drained spacious field.The only gripe would be the walk to the toilet block is a fair distance with a 2 year old in tow,but is countered by the fact you are away from the main ammenties so noise is not a problem.We also travelled with my parents who stayed in their touring caravan in field two,they enjoyed the site a great deal and this was the first time they had not been on a CCC site.The pool and play areas are excellent with a great cafe to serve all day and the pub opens from 7 til 11 each night.Security is excellent and the wardens do a great job of keeping the post 11 noise to an absolute minimum without being too big brotherish.Considering the amount of people on site it was amazingly quiet after 11.Toilet standards are good but were missing mop and buckets so people could clean up after themselves.On one or two occasions the toilets were messy but this is down to the "I've paid so I can chuck it on the floor brigade"and the site can only do so much to stop this but I feel with some equipment most would clean up after themselves.I can honestly say I have never been on a site with so many children having such a good time with so much space to run around in.Well done Callow top we will be back soon!!!

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is a beautifully situated site with many good features, although it’s blighted by a culture of ridged rules.
We have just returned from 5 nights oh sorry 4 nights stay at Callow, 2 adults and 3 children. 4 nights as we had to be off by 11 am when we booked we were told lunchtime. I worked so it would have been my wife's 1st depitch on her own with 3 children. Probably just doable by lunch. When enquired I was informed that when the site was full during peak season there was no leeway on this, I asked if the site was full Friday, no reply given.
On arrival I was greeted with "may I draw your attention to the voting slip for (the top 100 sites), then a hello.
What no visitors. We had a situation where the first part of our holiday was spent in France and then later part at Callow Top, due to me having work in Derby. When I booked I informed the receptionist that I would need my car to be brought by a visitor! "We don't allow visitors sir!" Well as we arrived I again told the receptionist that my car was been delivered later by a relative, I was told by this receptionist that I had to make the excuse they were helping us set up so they would be able to come in. When I mentioned they were bringing another car so they could get back it was as if I had grown another head! After paying a £10 deposit refundable if they left by a certain time that being 1 hr, I wish I could set up that fast.
So yes the site is noisy, but does get quiet by 11 pm and it is peak season.
The 20 pence shower, that was kept quiet, so it's 20p for 4 mins, that’s ok if they were clean. We must have been spoilt, because most of the other sites have mops and squeegees to use after the shower have been used.
Anybody like been dive-bombed by wasps as they go to the toilet, above door to the gents toilet near field 2 there was a wasps nest. When I enquired at reception about the safety of it with respect to children they said we know about it.
The pool, our children enjoyed it, it was busy but again it was peak season. We couldn't understand why there is no foot wash or even shower as you go and come out for basic hygiene and skin care unless you pay 20p and walk across to them
The pitch size, caravan awning and car then the other car, where does that fit safely. I had to squeeze it in, although if there had been an emergency getting out quickly would have been difficult. Maybe they thought I should have bought 2 minis. The site wasn't full but I wasn't allowed to park anywhere else.
The play park was good, the site was clean, facilities, football and volleyball field good, and access to Tissington trail good.
I have read some replies to these reviews and the claim is that customer services is a top priority, it seems like the top priority is adherence to the rules.
This was our experience a site with a lot of potential to be excellent but not achieving this.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arrivied on the sunday, within 10 minutes we were at our tent pitch, huge compared to other sites visited, the facilities were excellent, 20 pence for a shower stops people staying in there for an hour, never saw a queue for the showers, the play park and pool kept the kids busy. We never saw the pub open but then there is a bar in the next building. We were very fortunate that there were no "families from hell" all the time we were there. As said before, the tent pitches are more than ample, there is a big grassed area in the middle of the tent pitches for people to let their kids play. The shop had food and camping basics, there is a couple of supermarkets just down the road. With reference to a review that has been posted by a big group...... you got visited by a warden more than once and you wonder why you were kicked out. An 11pm curfew is more than late enough for a family site, we booked it because of this enforcment.

To conclude, perfect family site, all sites get the "chav anti socials" they cant help what goes in but they can certainly try to control them. I would definatly return.

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

spent 5 nights here in August. Big pitches so lots of room. We were in field 6 that has a lot of space in the middle to play rounders, football etc. Nice playground for kids which is a 1 min bike ride from pitch, we were happy for our 6 and 9 year old to play there alone and come back. Nice walks in the area and next to Tissington Trail for bikes. Pub on site nice and outdoor pool amazing for kids (I think the lovely sunshine helped). Quiet at 11 pm, which most people respected. The only things we found a bit annoying was it was a 2 min walk to toilets and showers (or 1 min bike ride! We were at the top end of field 6) also the if you're pitched on right hand side, next to the trees the tent doesn't dry out too well before you pack up before 11, as not much sun until later on after 12, but lovely for the day and evening. If we go again, we'd ask for half way up the field so closer to loos and also an inner pitch. Beware right hand side, no sun in the evening for BBQ.
Shop on site good and not too expensive, sells most things. Also a place to put ice blocks if needed.
If you're in a camper van or caravan, you're quite close to the playground, which can be an advantage or disadvantage depending how you feel about it, so mention that when booking if you feel the need.
We'll go again next year with friends who have a camper so we can pitch in another field with them.
Family disco was outside and good fun. Bring your own chair though as not enough benches for eveyone.
Overall really lovely, safe, clean place.
p.s. showers 20 pence and not a lot of them, think they do this to stop people showing for 20 minutes, which has happened to us on previous trips!
ENJOY

West Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We chose this park because it had a swimming pool for the kids, and the Callow Inne and village green looked good on the website.
Efficient check in.  Separate lane for new arrivals.  We asked to be located next to friends, and every thing was arranged without any problem.  Security is also their priority, with manned barriers and strict no visitors policy.  The main gates are then locked over night.
Nice level field, but the electric touring pitch was small, limited space to manoeuvre the car and caravan, and once the awning was in place, there wasn't much room for the car.  The hedges gave us a bit of privacy, however they were overgrown, and taking up the pitch space.  Hard standing pitches are good because there is good drainage, however take a good hammer with you to knock in the awning pegs.  Hard standing pitches in Callow Top means HARD.  I broke my hammer and bent most of my pegs.
I loved the Callow Inne, nice village pub feeling.  And the village green looks good, however, by evening it gets a bit noisy with a lot of kids around.  Therefore if you ask for a pitch with electric hook up near the toilets, it could be noisy because both toilet / shower blocks are next to the Inne or the cafe and kids park.
The food in the cafe and Inne are good, plus there is free wifi in the cafe.  You can have a good pint there as well.  They also do breakfast from 8.30am.  However, the cafe is a bit small for the entertainment provided - bingo, quiz, play you're cards right, disco.
Nice showers, but could do with a bucket and mop to clean up afterwards.  Showers cost 20p per 4 minutes.  I feel this is a bit tight.  We had already paid for 10 days in Callow Top which came to about £300.  Therefore one would expect the cost of using the showers to be included.  The toilets/shower blocks are regularly cleaned, but some users manage to spoil the these facilities for others by making some mess
The outside swimming pool is heated and clean, and ideal for kids.  Gets a bit crowded at times.  It would have been nice to have the other side of the Inne open for refreshments and ice creams.
As far as the caravan site's location, it's just outside Ashbourne.  A lovely town, with plenty of small shops (several small butchers, ideal for BBQs),  it's own radio station and four supermarkets (Sainsbury, Waitrose, Cooperative an M&S food).  It's also got a market in the centre on Thursday and Saturday.
The Tissington Trail starts in Ashbourne and passes the caravan site's entrance.  This is a cycle path that joins other cycle paths in the Peak District.  We cycled to Ashbourne several times.  A very quick route, and saved us paying for parking.  You could easily walk it.  Going towards Tissington has a slight incline but nothing too major.  Then it's freewheeling all the way back.  I took the kids once to Tissington Station, treated them to ice cream there and decided to go from there on our bikes to Carsington  Water.  It was a bit of a struggle.
Dogs are welcomed as long as they are kept on leads.  We would have appreciated part of the site designated for non pet owners.  It would have been nice not to have dogs barking in the morning, and not to discover dog mess outside our awning!
It's about 30 minutes to Alton Towers in the car and about 45 minutes to Chatsworth House.  Both well worth visiting.
We enjoyed our stay.  Thanks.

Room Tip: Take a good hammer with you to knock in the awning pegs.  Hard standing pitches in Callow Top means...