“A fantastic little restaurant and one we...”
Review of Dining Room - CLOSED

Dining Room
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2010

A fantastic little restaurant and one we love dearly. We go regularly and never cease to enjoy it. Our most recent visit was for my father-in-law's 70th birthday on a Saturday evening. The tasting menu was great fun. I especially liked the potted salmon and local pigeon. We all loved the dessert with various incarnations of rhubarb. If you have specific dietary requirements, they will sort this for you if you tell them when you book (we had a great meal there when my wife was 8.5 months pregnant without a hint of raw meat or shellfish on her plate!). Very highly recommended - streets ahead of anything else in the town and not that much more expensive.

1  Thank New_Ashburnian

Reviewed April 9, 2010

I went to the Dining Room last night with my partner and her sister, Sarah. She is over from Sydney where she is a lawyer and eats out regularly in top restaurants, we also have eaten in many good restaurants in London, due to our business.
I have to say that all three of us were more than impressed with the attention to detail on every level we received here, the food was delicious, the service was excellent and the atmosphere intimate. as good as anywhere we have eaten.

Reviewed April 8, 2010

We've eaten here on a few occasions now and have always been delighted with everything, especially the food. The wine list is always appealing and the Manager is great for recommendations to compliment the meal. My favourite has to be the home smoked salmon which I was delighted to be informed is actually for sale to take home! Service is consistent and attentative - all round we highly recommend a visit!!!

Reviewed March 27, 2010

My husband booked the restaurant a month in advance for a birthday treat for us both. Having been recommended in the Gourmet Society Guide, we went on the website and loved the look of the tasting menu. My husband rang up the restaurant to find out more about the tasting menu and to see if we could use our Gourmet card if we were to book. The lady he spoke to was very helpful, asked if we had any food allergies / dislikes and booked us in for the tasting menu for the Friday night - or so we thought!!!

My husband rang the restaurant to confirm at the start of the week before we were due to go and to also mention our food allergies and dislikes. We were asked to arrive for 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start. At 7.15 on the dot we arrived at the door and were just about to open it when my husband's phone rang. It was the restaurant checking where we were!!!

We were then 'greeted' by a member of staff who pointed us to our table in a rather unfriendly manner. Our drinks order was quickly taken but as we settled ourselves, we noticed the menu on the table was an 8 course dinner menu. When we asked about the tasting menu that we had booked over the phone, we were told the 8 course menu was the menu for the evening. We asked the waitress to find out what was going on as this was not what we had booked. She did not come back to explain to us what had happened and we had to actually ask her again what was happening. We were told that the 16 course tasting menu was only served on a Saturday and then promptly walked off. Not at ANY point during our phone coversations were we told this. Not a sniff of an apology was given!

We considered leaving at this point as we were both so disappointed, but on a Friday night in the little town of Ashbourne we had little other choice. It is ashame, as most of the food we received was pretty amazing to look at and they had managed to remember to remove and replace my food dislike. It was a lovely cosy setting and had we actually received what we had booked, I am sure we would have had a totally different experience. Unfortunately I will not be recommending this restaurant to any friends or family due to the extremely poor customer service!

3  Thank L0ckLady
vvlaroux, owner,chef at Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2010

regarding your "disappointing experience",
without going into too much detail we offer the 8 course tasting menu on fridays and the 16 course tasting menu on saturdays, this has been the case for the last 3 years.

your gourmet club card is not available on a saturday.

my wife laura took your booking and did not offer you the 16 course menu because this is not available on a friday evening.

pete

Reviewed February 24, 2010

The dining room is a truely amazing dining experience. If you have the chance to have the tasting menu on a Saturday night then please do. Every course is a delight, Pete the chef is incredibly talented. Make no mistake, this is not just a 'nice' restaurant - this is a restaurant you will be talking about for weeks after your visit. I have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants and it's a mystery to me why the Dining Room has not yet been awarded this accolade as it's definitely of that standard. Worth a detour to get to if you are not staying in Ashbourne.