“Good food. TERRIBLE rooms.”

Melbreak Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for one night as we had eaten here and found the food/service to be very good. One night too many though. Arrived exhausted looking forward to a good shower/comfortable bed/good meal, but were immediately treated to a 5 minute lecture on health & safety/meal times/hotel closure time/check-out time etc, etc, during which time, the poor receptionist (who was probably new) hardly came up for air.
Stayed in Room 16, which is a courtyard room. The front door was half-painted and looked very shabby - a sign of things to come...
You know when you open the door of your hotel room and your heart sinks... well, this was one such room. Tired decor, shabby carpet and furniture, with very thin curtains, which let the light through in the morning. Basic facilities in the room and VERY VERY hard uncomfortable mattress. There are no duvets, just sheets and very shabby bedspreads.
After enquiring about the rooms to the management, I was told very that the hotel didn't 'do' duvets and all the mattresses were new. They clearly were not (in room 16 at least) and were so old and tired you could feel the springs beneath the mattress top.
Shower also leaked all over bathroom floor. Good start!
On the upside (yes, there is one), the food and service are very good and we had a lovely evening meal and good breakfast.
Unfortunately, there was a power cut the next morning, which I discovered just as I was about to have a (power) shower! We were also trapped in the car park as we attempted to escape (oops, leave) in the morning as the generator van attempting to restore power had blocked the hotel entrance!
It's such a shame, as the staff are (generally) very helpful, the location very convenient (for West/Central Lakes and Motorway) and the food good.
Would highly recommend lunch/evening meal there, but based on our experience, the rooms (priced at £90) are horribly over-priced and really not nice to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2010

Just spent a three day break at the Melbreak. I was impressed with the spotless clean room which was very tastefully furnished . The staff and management were very helpfull and triendly. Food very good and plenty of it. Its very handy for the Lakes and coast . I would definately return .

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My stay started badly from check in when the receptionist was frustrated as I gave my work address which given i was in a shirt and tie might have been a give away to my trips purpose. I completed a simple paper form which they removed amex as a payment option as I completed it rather than print up new ones in advance.

I think the owners and the staff are trying to make things better than they are based on some hilarious canned speech from receptionist as i checked in (as breakfast is included we advise you to take advantage of it.) When I tried to relax in the bar with a book the staff noisily completed and then copied each others answers to a fire safety training sheet in the bar in front of customers. The current state of affairs can be summed in my waiting 10 minutes whilst I found a member of staff to check out; there was a bell on the desk but no one responded. The sad fact is that compared to even a low quality modern hotel (say a travellodge) the Melbreak is 20 years out of date. In a normal hotel I wouldn't have waited to check out as they would have my credit card imprint only they don't do that at the Melbreak.

So after all that my room was enormous; and had a large TV on the wall; but despite all the space there was no desk and few power sockets. There is free wireless internet throughout but it is quite slow. The food in the restaurant was poor.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank u07ch
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel one night midweek. My room was on the first floor of a chalet arrangement, separate from the main hotel building. The room was very clean and comfortable, with a nice flat-screen tv with digital freeview. It was very quiet too. The food was good at dinner and breakfast, the staff friendly. The hotel is a bit "out in the sticks" if you have no car but is only a few miles from the nearest town. It is easy to find being on the main road though.
The only problem I had was that there was no hot water in the bathroom when I arrived, this was because the room has it's own water heater that had not been switched on.
So, from my one night I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2009

stayed for 3 nights and found the hotel to be excellent a nice clean hotel,very central for workington,whitehaven,maryport and cockermouth. Food in restaurant was delicious and lots of it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2009

"A warm and friendly welcome awaits all our guests" Nothing of the sorts, The staff at this hotel have the worst attitude to customers I have ever seen. I wouldnt bother with this place if your used to good customer service. You are more of a hindrence to them. We were planning to eat in the restaurant but recieved such a bad service we thought we would go somewhere that actually were happy that we were there. Nice enough hotel but lacks the foundations of good customer service.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank therik
Reviewed August 3, 2008

This hotel has the most unwelcoming, unfriendly management (there seem to be several of them) I have ever experienced. Everything is too much trouble!

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Buster2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
#5 of 9 in Workington
The Trout Hotel
The Trout Hotel
#2 of 9 in Cockermouth

Been to Melbreak Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!