“Wouldn't stay again”

Melbreak Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business in June because the hotel was in a convenient location for me. The positives are my room didn't have traffic noise (although I could hear everything going on next door or in the corridor). The hotel also had nice views across to the east although my room faced the other way. The staff were friendly. The breakfast was standard. The room had a nice big TV.

On the downside, I hate blankets and would prefer a duvet (but I guess that's personal choice). The room wasn't the cleanest, especially the windows. The bed almost collapsed when I got in it (and I'm slim) and proceeded to creak all night. There were two bright lights outside my window (presumably to illuminate the hotel although I'm not sure why this is necessary) which made my room very bright even with the curtains closed. The room and corridor were both incredibly dated. The lock on my door was pretty much hanging off, making it hard to unlock the room.

The Melbreak will always have customers because it's in a handy spot but for £67 (I stayed in a twin room), I thought it was expensive for the quality. I previously stayed at the Cumberland Lodge nearby which was £62 and is infinitely better (although smaller). I wouldn't stay at the Melbreak again when there is somewhere cheaper and nicer nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

So sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at The Melbreak; it is very disconscerting for us when we hear that guests are unhappy with either our facilities and/or the service on offer. However, safety is great importance to us whilst guests are on our premises perhaps it would haver been better to voice your concerns to the hotel personnel immediately. Likewise, if you had concerns regarding the safety of the bed this too should have been reported and we could have moved you to an alternative room and investigated the suspect bed the next day.

That said, I must agree with you on the point about the blankets as I also prefer a duvet. However, the good news on this point is that most of the rooms are soon to be refurbished and the blankets will be replaced by duvets which I believe is a big step in the right direction for the hotel.

Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but hope it was more down to the room aesthetics rather than the customer service on offer?

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had an extended stay here and the hotel is FANTASTIC. All the staff are a credit to this establishment, they were very welcoming and could do no more to make our stay better.
The room we had was very clean and homely, breakfasts and evening meals were of excellent quality and enjoyed in beautiful surroundings.
Excellent access from all major routes, and plenty of car parks even when the hotel was full!!!

THANK YOU Melbreak for all your help.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your generous review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay; it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed for one night and were very comfortable. We had room 5 which was fine for us. As a few previous reviews have stated, the room was dated and the kettle should be out of the way of children (as it's a family room) but apart from that, there were plenty of extra pillows, the beds were comfortable, there was a modern tv with childrens channels and tons of lovely thick towels. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was very powerful. We also had a gorgeous view of the mountains.

Staff were very friendly, breakfast was lovely and the conservatory was delightful for dining, especially when the sun shone.

For the £99 that we paid for our family to stay, it was well worth it and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind review; I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The staff at the Melbreak are constantly striving to improve standards in order to make our guests' breaks enjoyable experiences; to hear that you have enjoyed your stay makes the hard work all the more worthwhile.
Kind Regards

Reviewed May 28, 2013

A really friendly and accommodating hotel. We stayed before climbing Scafell Pike next day. Menu and choice of drinks were both excellent as we're the staff and management. We were upgraded to a fabulous suite at no extra charge. Extremely clean and comfortable and a great breakfast to send us on our way

Room Tip: A great base for the Lake District
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay and, more importantly, that you managed to scale Scafell Pike safely and successfully! Good luck on your Three Peaks Challenge and hope to see you agin soon - perhaps on a more relaxing break.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Lovely conservatory restaurant where we were served excellent meals by friendly and efficient staff who were genuinely interested in us and the reason for our visit. Comfortable and well equipped bedrooms, I had a really good nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline H, Front Office Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review. So glad you enjoyed your stay; hopefully you will revisit soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 10, 2013

It's the third time I've stayed here. It's a good location if you must stay in the area - from a convenience point of view.
BUT - the road is very noisy throughout the night and the water pressure provides just a trickle, especially when you need it first thin in the morning.

The breakfast area is nice, but when I asked for a vegetarian breakfast, I got the same as everyone else, but without the Black Pudding, Sausages and Bacon. I think that's quite pathetic.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry to learn your stay was not enjoyable and will certainly look into your comments regarding the lack of water pressure in the room you stayed in. I can only sympathise with you on this point as I also prefer a powerful shower.

However, I am quite perplexed with regard to the traffic noise as that particular room is to the rear of the hotel and thus furthest away from the road; the only explanation I can think of is that the A595 is currently being used as a diversion for the A5086, which is currently under going repairs, and thus resulting in an increase in traffic volume.

Thank you also for pointing out our failings over a vegetarian breakfast. We do offer a good choice of cereals, yogurts, fruits and porridge, and we also offer eggs cooked in a variety of styles, as well as a plentiful supply of toast. However, we do not offer vegetarian sausages or hash browns and will look into offering these as an alternative to bacon and pork sausages.

Hopefully you will choose to stay with us again when you are next in the area allowing us to make amends for our shortfalls this time

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We visit this hotel to meet a friend who stays, his experiences of staying are always enjoyable. Not only is the hotel very well situated, it offers easy access to all the towns in West Cumbria with ease. The staff are always very friendly an the bar/ restaurant area is fantastic with a great conservatory offering brilliant views on a summer night and a welcomed warmth on a winter night. The food is always cooked to a high standard and is well worth a visit just for a meal. The menu is a little small but the quality far than makes up for this. All in all this is a fabulous hotel and well worth a visit. Head and shoulders above the others in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank MULCASTER2
Caroline H, Manager at Melbreak Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your review; so glad you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel and staff lived up to your expectations.

I appreciate your comments about our menu which is about to change in the next few weeks. Hopefully the next time you visit you will find there to be much more choice?

Caroline

Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Cockermouth
Hall Park Hotel
Hall Park Hotel
#3 of 9 in Workington

Been to Melbreak Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!