Melbreak Country House Hotel
$96
$71
PremierInn.com
$86
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsplenty of parkingconservatory restaurantclean bathroomnice conservatoryown transportfamily livemain buildingan ironpiewestern fellslovely mealfor sunday lunchpleasant staynight porterlake districtonly criticismvaried menu
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights a few weeks ago with my husband, I was greeted by a young girl who made check in seem so easy, I was shown direct to my door.
I went down for breakfast and they had everything i could of wanted and more. The staff were great for my full stay.
The room was all I needed, not the best but certainly not the worst, it is my favourite in cumbria having stayed at the trout, Washington central and hall park hotel.
The food was good but far too much, the waitress catered to everything we asked for.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Pixbon
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Having stayed there on previous business trips, we decided to stay again and persuaded other business colleagues to stay as well. On arrival the girls on reception were very friendly and helpful and made checking in very easy. The room we were given was ok but decor was dated compaired to how the Restuarant looked (very modern). Bed was quite hard and the shower had no real power but did the job. We went into Workington to eat as we had pre-arranged to meet other colleagues. On arrival back at the hotel around 10.45 the main part of the hotel was locked (we had been advised to take keys with us if coming back after 10pm as all bedroom were outside the main hotel area which would be locked) we wanted to have a nightcap at the bar and it took around 5-10 minutes to get someones attention to open the door. Eventually we were told if we wanted a drink to be quick and that they did not have to serve us if they didn't want to !! Judging the abrupt and unfriendly attitude my husband and i retired to our room but our colleagues stayed for a drink, which they were then told when they questioned the staffs rudeness "you cant go and eat and drink somewhere all evening and then expect to come back here for a drink" (i'm sorry but i thought thats what hotels were all about), when they then said they would compain in the morning they were told "complain all you like i'm the managers daughter". However we did compain and i'm not really sure they accepted what we said, drinks were taken off our bill and we only paid for the room. We had booked for 2 nights but decided to go elsewhere. It was such a shame as up until that point we were having a nice stay and was treated with respect by other members of staff. The head receptionist the following morning was also a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank CamborneJules
Reviewed September 18, 2010

A number of Colleagues and myself spent quite a few weeks at the Melbreak as we were involved opening a new business in the area. From the outside it looks lovely, always found the check-in staff fine. The rooms are outside behind the hotel. One block in the Courtyard and the other an annex. The Courtyard rooms, apart from the Suite located there, are very tired rooms in need of repair and redecorating. These rooms only have a shower no bath. On our first evening (which was Sunday), I found the toilet leaked, when I went to the desk the following morning the Receptionsist greeted me with "Whats wrong with your room?". I found at breakfast most of my Colleagues had problems with their rooms. The problem was rectified but not until the Thurdsay. Rooms have tea/coffee facilities which were constantly replenished. The TV was very old, had 3 of the terrestrial channels no other options. The worst thing about these rooms are they face the back of the property where the car park is, this has a secuirty light, that senses movement, as it was always windy this flashed on & off all night. The curtains are like paper so you could not sleep, eventually I climbed up on a chair and tucked the spare blanket in the curtain rail. Success. A tip my Colleagues appreciated.
The rooms in the annex fair better as these have been refurbished. Bathrooms have been refitted and are very nice, these have LCD tv's, but the walls are very thin and you can hear what is being said in the other room. I spent one night listening to a very large man snore!! Not pleasant. My colleagues had nicknamed this the Backbreak Hotel but I didn't find the beds that uncomfortable.
This is a family run Hotel, and depending who is on, the response you get. Most of the staff are very nice. The 2 women serving the breakfast are very pleasant and helpful. Food in this hotel is very nice indeed, as is the restuarant so well worth a visit. Just make sure you ask for exactly what you want. I ordered boiled potatoes and these came smothered in butter. Maybe most people would be happy but I don't like butter. This is not the best Hotel I have stayed and it is certainly not the worst! Bottom line would I stay here again if I were in the area? Yes.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank margaret02Tyneside
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for one night as we had eaten here and found the food/service to be very good. One night too many though. Arrived exhausted looking forward to a good shower/comfortable bed/good meal, but were immediately treated to a 5 minute lecture on health & safety/meal times/hotel closure time/check-out time etc, etc, during which time, the poor receptionist (who was probably new) hardly came up for air.
Stayed in Room 16, which is a courtyard room. The front door was half-painted and looked very shabby - a sign of things to come...
You know when you open the door of your hotel room and your heart sinks... well, this was one such room. Tired decor, shabby carpet and furniture, with very thin curtains, which let the light through in the morning. Basic facilities in the room and VERY VERY hard uncomfortable mattress. There are no duvets, just sheets and very shabby bedspreads.
After enquiring about the rooms to the management, I was told very that the hotel didn't 'do' duvets and all the mattresses were new. They clearly were not (in room 16 at least) and were so old and tired you could feel the springs beneath the mattress top.
Shower also leaked all over bathroom floor. Good start!
On the upside (yes, there is one), the food and service are very good and we had a lovely evening meal and good breakfast.
Unfortunately, there was a power cut the next morning, which I discovered just as I was about to have a (power) shower! We were also trapped in the car park as we attempted to escape (oops, leave) in the morning as the generator van attempting to restore power had blocked the hotel entrance!
It's such a shame, as the staff are (generally) very helpful, the location very convenient (for West/Central Lakes and Motorway) and the food good.
Would highly recommend lunch/evening meal there, but based on our experience, the rooms (priced at £90) are horribly over-priced and really not nice to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Just spent a three day break at the Melbreak. I was impressed with the spotless clean room which was very tastefully furnished . The staff and management were very helpfull and triendly. Food very good and plenty of it. Its very handy for the Lakes and coast . I would definately return .

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple