“place to stay in the lake distric”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed June 11, 2012

the hotel is clean the staff very frendly and polite rooms exellent food top rate and the entertainment was first rate would return again

Room Tip: from other guest remarks all rooms very good
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank wrighty978

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I arrived in Workington quite late in the afternoon and there were no taxis at the train station to take me to the hotel I had booked so I walked to the nearest occupied building which happened to be this dump of a hotel. From the outside it looks closed down but unfortunately it is not. I entered and asked if they could call a taxi for me (they did not know at this stage that I was not a resident at their hotel). The girl who "helped" was extremely unsure of what she should say or do and merely handed me a scrap of paper witha number on it, pointing to the payphone behind me. I didn't have any change to use the payphone and my mobile phone battery was dead so I had to ask if she could call the number for me. She had to disappear to ask the manager which took over 5 minutes! (To international visitors, most local calls, especially short ones of this nature are normally free or at least less than 10p - ie as good as free). In the end I persuaded her to make the call for me but her manner was very rude throughout. Furthermore, I noticed signs by the tea and coffee machine threatening visitors not to steal the coffee for their room because they were on CCTV which was pointed right at the machine and they would be fined if they took a coffee without paying for it.

To call this place Fawlty Towers is unfair on Fawlty Towers. This place is a dump. Avoid!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank rb1kenobi
poppy112, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

As one of the uk's largest Coach Tours coaches were staying in the Hotel and the large coach parked on the carpark the Hotel looked far from closed down as you state in your review.
We have situated in the reception a payphone for public use, the girl who 'helped' is infact our Head Waitress who was busy tending to the needs of our paying guest in the very busy restaurant and is not here to make FREE PHONE CALLS for someone who had walked past 2 yes 2 public telephone boxes outside the train station.
The Cumberland Hotel has recently been awarded the DAVID URQUHART TRAVEL Premier Collection dated Friday 10th February 2012 to certify that our hotel was chosen from 250 hotels visited by customers of DAVID URQUHART TRAVEL during 2011, to have consistently shown the highest standards of welcome, friendliness, excellence of service, decor and facilities.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed 4 nights on a coach tour. Great hosts. Fantastic food. Building needs some attention but ok for price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Richard C
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Travelled here with travelstyle and I am sorry they need to get their act together if they think they can treat their customers like this.This hotel is a disgrace it is opposite the train station but if you get off the train and are looking for a decent hotel I suggest you stay clear of this one.The rooms are cold I had to bleed our radiator but to no avail the windows have large gaps where the wind whistles through, water is cold bed ok.
Service in restaurant was awful you get one potato and very little of everything else one guest complained and was rudely told that's all you get, he complained to chef and got one more breakfast was OK but again one of everything, service in the bar was terrible if you could find someone. Do not drink beer on draught it is awful I would say the lines need a good clean stick to bottles but check the dates.A certain member of staff needs lessons on personal hygiene. All in all a cold rudely run dump Do not go there

• Stayed: December 2011
8  Thank brilin
Reviewed November 28, 2011

we had a wonderful time at this friendly hotel,a xmas tree and lights in the reception made us all pleased at the effort the owners had done,all main rooms all decorated looked really great.The bedrooms clean and the beds gave us a wonderful nights sleep.The food was delicious ,all the tables dressed with clean table cloths clean cutlery,the breakfast bacon eggs beans,toast and jams all well cooked.Iwould definately recommend this hotel
from the four girls of wirral.

Room Tip: second floor front of hotel quiet
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank oconnor821
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This is one of the best hotels I have ever visited. I have read your previous reviews in amazement at some of the totally misleading and positively nasty comments that have been made. What's wrong with chintzy? There are too many identical modern hotels that seem totally soulless and clinical, with robotic and incompetant staff, unlike the cosy, welcoming atmosphere and efficient staff of the Cumberland. Meals were excellent - well presented and delicious. Nothing was too much bother for the manager, who, incidentally, was female. Moreover, we never heard one woof or mew.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed at the Cumberland hotel and thought it was brilliant. The food was delicious, everything was hot and I cannot fault the portion sizes, in fact there was more than enough, and will need to shed a few pounds now I'm home!!!!!

I was travelling with a coach tour and think that what we received over the 4 days was very very good value for money.

The lady who owns the hotel is lovely and couldn't do more for us to enjoy our stay.

Will be there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MilMoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Waverley Hotel
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
The Old Ginn House Inn
The Old Ginn House Inn
#5 of 9 in Workington

Been to The Cumberland Hotel? Share your experiences!