Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
Average 3/5
$91
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Melbreak Country House Hotel(Workington)
$98
$79
PremierInn.com
$89
Very Good 4/5
All reviewssolway firthtravelzoo dealbeautiful hotellake districtfunction roomboth nightsirish seaon arrivaleggs benedictset menufirst morningwedding partyst beescooked breakfasthigh standardthree course mealtwo night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed two nights at the beautiful Hunday Manor Hotel. Set in its own lovely grounds it looks like something out of the 'Hound of the Baskervilles'. The décor is sumptuous and no expense has been spared in making it a romantic place to stay. The rooms are wonderful and spacious and the bathroom is a treat.
Hunday is nearer Workington than Whitehaven, our target place which we heard is a nice place to live. The meals were very much okay, my wife enjoyed the meals more than me The breakfasts are fantastic although I had smoked finnan haddock on the first morning which was rather on the dry side and not helped by the coffee which was cold (I did complain in person about this). The breakfast on the second morning was faultless - cereals and fruit, bacon, suausage, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, fried bread, piping hot coffee - stuffed.
The bar is well stocked with local bottled ales. The great staff are extremely friendly and you will find absolutely no fault here. I would definitely return here.

The hotel is within walking distance of Oilys a restaurant catering for the people of Workington and surrounds out to celebrate a special occasion. No frills but they serve local fresh product cooked to perfection and it has a down to earth feel - what you see is what you get, and glad you are to get it.

Cockermouth is a lovely town not too far away and is worth visiing for all the individual shops.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevelyonUk
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our extended family, went to celebrate a 25th wedding anniversary with a 3 course special lunch on Saturday. The whole experience was excellent from the welcome and drinks beforehand to a perfectly timed and served meal with superb food for the whole table of seventeen. All members of the party commented on how lovely their selection of the menu had been and how efficient and friendly the staff were. The overall experience was one we which was very impressive and one we would recommend and hope to repeat ourselves.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TheresaJ14
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Went to this hotel last weekend for a break and we had a lovely time. the hotel is set in the countryside and the staff are wonderful. We will definitely go back as there are several things we would like to explore in the area. Breakfast and dinner was lovely. Many thanks to Joe, Barry, Mandy, Dom & Steve for a very memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean E
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We visite the Manor a couple of Sundays ago, and were not disappointed. There was an excellent choice on the menu, including vegetarian. I plumped for mussels as a starter, and wasn't disappointed, followed by beautiful roast beef, with all the trimmings. To top it all a very moorish sticky toffee pudding, putting the icing on the cake. Service was excellent, and a lovely afternoon was had by the company

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Last night was my second stay at Hunday Manor and if anything I liked it even better than when I stayed in July. The visit was work related but the room prices are so reasonable it was actually cheaper than staying in the Premier Inn a few miles away. The thing I love most about this hotel is the tranquillity - there's something about the grounds, the décor, the comfyness of the beds etc. that is utterly relaxing. I also love the old fashioned politeness and 'can do' attitude of the staff - they manage to make you feel very special without it being in the least bit stuffy.

The food is great, normally if I'm travelling alone I'd not always eat in the restaurant but I did here as I remembered it being so good. The menu is a little pricey (and wondered why they perhaps didn't offer a bar menu), however given they're an independent hotel with freshly cooked food, it's not extortionate, and the presentation is lovely. Drinks prices are reasonable. The last thing that sticks in my mind is how immaculate everything is, particularly the bathrooms.

Hoping to go back for a little hol soon rather than work stopover.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business