“Christmas party night.”

Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We held our works Christmas party at the Hunday Manor Hotel last week and wanted to share our experience. The function room was nicely decorated with a warm friendly feel. The food was tasty and considering they were serving over two hundred people nice and hot. A big thanks to the serving staff who worked hard. Our only slight criticism would be having to queue at the bar. The entertainment was very good with a disco and band who played a good mix and had the dance floor busy all night. All our party had a great night and will be back next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Visistar
There are newer reviews for Hunday Manor Country House Hotel

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I went here for one of the Christmas party nights, there were 230 people there and we were a table of 20.

The bar had 2 staff on all night so there was a huge queue all night long. The general service of the staff was poor and they appeared to be very understaffed in all areas.

The food was average. I had the soup which was very salty, followed by the salmon which was full of bones and had pavlova which was nice but a very small portion. No one else on the table was very impressed with the food either.

The entertainment was good, there was a duet band on first followed by a disco and everyone enjoyed this.

I wouldn't hurry back here for a meal in the restaurant following the experience of the Christmas party night.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed overnight last night as we were attending a Christmas party at the hotel - we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The room was lovely with a great view across the Solway coast. The lighting in the room was well thought out, the bathroom was great with a good supply of hot water to the bath and shower. The entertainment was very good as was the food. We would certainly recommend this hotel as a really good place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew House S
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We visisted Hunday earlier in the year with a party of friends and we were not disappointed with anything.

The management and staff of the hotel went out of their way to accommodated a couple of our party who proved to be quite difficult to say the least. They have since been the same at another hotel we visited so won't be invited again! Anyway 10 out of 10 to Joe and his team for their patience.

The hotels rooms were charming, the food was delicious, the ambiance was welcoming and friendly. The gardens of the hotel were beautiful and wll kept.

All in all a suberb trip.

Have already recommended the hotel to another classic car group in our area

Thanks guys

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MG-people
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I must admit, from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, the staff could not have been more pleasent. The rooms here are very well decorated and there was a hair dryer and iron in our room which my partner was delighted with.

The food was amazing and the selection on the menu suited both me and my partner. The views acroos the Solway firth where great and the gardens where very well looked after.

Highly recommend and we have already booked for our family to go next year for there anniversary.

Thanks again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theotta38
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Me and my wife recently booked Hunday Manor for the Christening of our child.
Once the church service was over we headed to the hotel for our meal and a few drinks.
On arrival to the hotel I was given a drink from a friend who said one of my family members had opened up a tab for the first drink. This was fine and we headed into a conference type room for a 3 course meal. The quality of the food was OK as was the service.
Once the meal was finished everyone headed up to the bar for a couple of drinks before heading home. I was the last one to leave and upon going to settle the bill for food as agreed, I was also informed that I would have to pay for the first round of drinks for everyone. But as I was told by the staff a member of my family had set up a tab this would not be a problem as I would just claim the money back from the generous family member. After phoning around the family it turns out that no-one had set up a tab and that the hotel staff had made an error, and the generous family member who had set the tab up was actually moi. The hotel manager contacted me back and said he was sorry for the mix up and that if I go back up to the hotel and buy a meal for me and my wife I will be compensated by a bottle of wine. So basically if I spend 50 pound on food I will be generously given a bottle of wine, of what quality I am unsure.
After this phone call I decided to check the bill, I called around everyone who was at the christening and compared this to what I was actually charged. To my amazement the hotel had actually charged me for drinks, whisky brandy, cider etc that people did not even consume. This had added quite a large amount onto the drinks bill. I feel really let down by this. You dont expect that what is supposed to be a nice place over charging for items that have not even been consumed.
Hunday Manor really managed to spoil what should have been a nice day for me and my wife.
My advice is if you have no option but to book this hotel for a reception of some description please check your bill and ensure you are not over charged it is not nice to think that you have been done. I am supposed to be getting a refund for the drinks that appeared on the bill, we'll see...............

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank Mr_Charlie_12
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband & I were here on an offer deal. We had let the booking date expire but the hotel extended it for us, no problem.
We stayed in mid November when the weather was dark and dreary. This certainly did not apply to Hunday Manor. Nothing was too much trouble, all the staff were very attentive and polite but not intrusive.
Our room was extremely well appointed, very comfortable every detail thought of. An excellent selection of hot drinks in room to choose from. The bathroom was spotless with dispensers of shower gel/shampoo, body lotion etc. and bath sheets not bath towels (which are always too small).
We ate in the restaurant which was very relaxing. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. Breakfast was also very good. No paper tablecloths or serviettes in sight all spotless starched linen.
All in all a very comfortable stay in a well run very comfortable establishment.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frances H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Melbreak Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Bassenthwaite

Been to Hunday Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!