All reviews coffee shop steam room car park leisure facilities town centre pleasant hotel groupon deal business trip course meal kippers food was lovely salmon night stay service was excellent my partner lovely room bar area
Selected filters
Reviewed June 19, 2018

Lovely hotel. We just stayed the one night as we were travelling around the Lake District. We were upgraded to a deluxe room which was lovely. The hotel has great facilities including a pool and spa area. It is in a great location in the middle of the town. Breakfast was also very good. Only negative I’d have is the curtains in the bedroom. The light came in through the top of them very early in the morning and lite up the room. Maybe consider adding a pelmet to block the light out.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Keith W, General Manager at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2018

Good Evening Trip Advisor reviewer,
Your recent choice to stay at our hotel was vey much appreciated.We are so pleased that the positive experience inspired you to write a most pleasing and welcome review of your stay., Thank you very much for the time taken and the genuine comments you have shared with us through posting your genuine observations.
Thank you once again and we hope to see you again on your next visit to West Cumbria....Keith.

Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

Was made to feel welcome as soon as I walked in. It was a little dark in here, first impressions made me feel things were very dated. However tiredness and an open mind can work wonders. My room was fantastic! Clean, bathroom very good and I loved the complimentary shot of port in the room and the use of the china tea set. Disappointed with the tea bags.. Yorkshire tea please. I didn’t use the pool and steam, jacuzzi or sauna gym. Too much after the day I had.
Beds very comfortable coming from a large city it wasn’t that noisy at night.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank anthonylRL

Hello Anthony,
We are firstly grateful that you chose the Washington Central hotel for your visit to West Cumbria, we sincerly hope that you allow us to host you on your next visit also. Thank you for your very positive comments on the welcome, hospitality, cleanliness, comfort and those little extras that many of our guestes appreciate.
Keith.

Reviewed May 20, 2018 via mobile

Group of 7 of us went for a friend's birthday meal. Dinner in the bar, comfortable surroundings. The staff were really attentive, service was relaxed but attentive.
Extensive bar menu and specials were available. I opted for sweet chilli chicken pieces for starter followed by beef lasagna and delicious homemade chips. I really didn't want dessert but couldn't resist! Choc n berries was my choice, delicious! Icecream, biscuits, chocolate and fruit. The dishes were good value for money and all really nice and well presented. The venue is a hotel but the bar area very welcoming and non residents like us were made extremely welcome. Will will definitely return.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Good Evening Susie,
All the bar, restaurant and kitchen staff want to say a very BIG thank you for your lovely comments generated from your recent birthday meal. we are all so grateful that you took the time to post them on trip advisor...Many thanks again. Keith.

Reviewed May 3, 2018 via mobile

Was really surprised to be told at check in that there is a 3% surcharge if you pay by corporate credit card. It’s not the cheapest hotel to start with. The corridors haven’t even got wallpaper on the walls. Rooms all fine and the bar food and service are lovely.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business

Good afternoon Mark,
Your comments on your recent stay are most welcome. We do unfortunately charge 3% in business and corporate credit cards ONLY. All other payment methods carry a zero surcharge. We are undergoing a redecorating project in all the public corridors , so at times certain areas are without paper or partly decorated. We really appreciate your approval of the rooms, food , service and hospitality.
Many thanks, Keith.

Reviewed April 12, 2018

First of all, this is a good hotel with good rooms and (mostly) great staff. What lets it down is the lack of common sense and leadership from the manager.

I have stayed here on multiple occasions during the past 12 months, and have genuinely felt a sense of loyalty and trust in this hotel: the 'front of house' staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome, and Anne (breakfast) is excellent. This would normally lead to a 5/5 review. Nothing is too much trouble - taxis early in the morning, and support on any problems that I've experienced.

I am so disappointed therefore to highlight the negatives: a manager that NEEDS to enforce his rules (and beliefs) around customers bringing food in from a takeaway. After requesting some cutlery, the manager confirmed that the hotel no longer provides this for individuals bringing food in from a local takeaway. His reason - that "rooms are getting soiled and the hotel is trying to discourage takeaway food". An interesting excuse, given that by NOT providing cutlery, I am more likely to make a mess. Complete lack of rational thought, which I can only imagine (assumption) is driven by his desire to get me to eat in the hotel-based restaurant.

Time to wake up and perhaps understand what your customers actually want, rather than using an approach which drives resentment, and completely destroys any trust or loyalty that I previously had. At times, things have not been perfect in the room which I have stayed: a shower that doesn't work properly, or a TV that cannot be powered on (both in room 85) - but...has this been a huge problem given the experience I've had? No.

Please please please don't let this hotel lose its value through stupidity and poor leadership. Listen to your customers' needs, show flexibility, and smile from time to time. You might find it helps build some well-needed loyalty and mutual respect from your customers.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank BusinessXTravellerX

Good afternoon much valued and loyal customer.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, and my apologies for the late response. We are always happy to assist all our guests with any requests that they have during their stay, to which I do believe that all staff endeavour to do with a smile , politness and genuine hospitality.
Regarding guests bringing takeaways into the hotel. The owners, management and staff always encourage our guests to experience the dining options available in the hotel bars and bistro. However if a guest chooses to purchase food from outside the hotel, that is acceptable, however it is true that we do not encourage it by providing crockery or cutlery. This has always been the hotel policy for a number of very valid reasons,which at present we believe remains the best policy for our business.
I can only apologise that you were not entirely happy with my explanation, and I will apologise in person should you be in the hotel again very soon.
Kindest regards,