“Such a shame!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Having been privileged to eat in The Greyhound at Bothel for many years I have been saddened by how much it has gone down on the meal side recently. We have had three meals there over the last few months, two of which were so bad we have not paid for. On the last visit they had our reservation time wrong, not a problem we could wait, and wait we did whilst other people arrived near our table and got served long before we even saw a menu. We eventually ordered and after about 10 mins the gentleman who took our order told us most of what we wanted was now not on the menu - fair enough, we all made different choices. He the came back to say no onions rings left or mashed potato!!!!! When our meals finally arrived my scampi and chips looked like a child's portion that a child had actually cooked, I felt embarrassed for the person who had taken so little effort to throw it on a plate. We ordered sauces to go with the meal, and then 10 mins later had to ask again. The lamb shank was dry and chewy (the dog enjoyed it immensely when we got back home), we got half a bun with the burger......well really do I need to say more! We wish the new management well and hope they eventually get up to speed and the teething problems are sorted and that the restaurant/pub flourish once more - Good luck!!!!

6  Thank Slinky459

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We drove past this pub on the way back from a day out and as it was only ten minutes from our hotel we decided to check it out. After looking at reviews on trip advisor we thought we would give it a try. I am so glad we did! The food was really lovely and definitely home cooked, the staff very accommodating and honest about the fact that we might have a wait as a large party had arrived shortly before us. As it turned out we had hardly any wait at all. I had the fish and tarragon pie whilst my husband had the sirloin steak, followed by one of the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted! I will recommend to anyone I know who is in the area and will hopefully visit again when next in the region.

2  Thank Elise A
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We'd heard good things about The Greyhound Inn so we visited last night (2nd June 2012).
The food in general was very nice although my better half did comment that his beef lasagne was a bit dry. A request for vinegar was also ignored. Waiting on staff didn't know what was on the specials board. My sweet of chocolate tart was supposed to be accompanied by chantilly cream but was presented to me minus the cream. I had to question this & was bluntly told "we've ran out". While eating my sweet I found myself chewing on a piece of the foil the tart will have been served from. Not particualy nice when you have a few fillings! Portions were a good size & arrived quickly. So quickly in fact that our main course arrived before our starter plates had been removed. All in all we were a bit dissapointed by our visit but I have to say that this was because of the staff's poor service & not the food. Maybe on another night we would have been served better.

3  Thank 396VinnyT
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The thing about restaurants who serve home-made food is that occasionally they have off days. For that reason managers sometimes prefer everything to be cook-chill. Having read other reviews we were intrigued to see if the place still lived up to previous recommendations or whether it had permanently slipped.We visitted on Thursday 31st May 2012 and arrived at 7pm. There were not many other customers at that time. I am pleased to report that the earlier recommendations still hold; the food is still great home-made fare. We started with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes with salad. This was a very brave and imaginative dish which we shared and we both enjoyed immensely. The helpings were adequate but not huge and easily fitted on the plate! My wife had fish pie and I had the lamb cutlet; we rated both very highly. My wife could not manage a sweet but I could not resist the cheesecake that was the best I have ever tasted, but oh so naughty. The bill was very reasonable, the service good and the beer excellent. So no problems and congratulations to the pub for providing increasingly rare, good-value home-cooked food in a touristy area.

3  Thank Kristobelle
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Much to the contrary of previous reviews we were much surprised to see that on arrival at 6.00 pm on Thursday 17th May 2012 the pub and restaurant was empty of any customers! One of us ordered a pint of bitter which had to be returned due to a taste of disinfectant. Menus were delivered on several sheets of paper which were stapled together. We were advised that the "Specials Board" was not available as it had not been written up. One of us wanted Coq Au Vin off the main menu only to be told "Sorry I forgot to mention that it's no longer available". At that point the overly loud piped music started to jump and skip. Place mats were delivered (one of which was dirty and was quickly replaced by a new one). Successfully ordered Gammon and Chips x 2 (£20.00). Food arrived on round plates which were far too small resulting in gammon placed on top of chips and hanging over the edge of the plate resulting in a large part being cold. Gammon was very tough, chips overdone and fried egg virtually raw and accompanying salad dried up and tastlesss. And finally to top it off the credit card machine did not accept card via chip and pin and a signature was necessary to complete the transaction.

Overall up to the standard of" two meals for a fiver quality". We would award this pub 1 out of 10.

3  Thank MarkT983