“Average food, awful service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Zest Harbourside

Zest Harbourside
Ranked #10 of 65 Restaurants in Whitehaven
Cuisines: British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Average food, awful service”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I visited during December 2013 with a group of 4 friends. The food itself was okay - nothing outstanding but relatively cheap (we had a Taste Card, offering 50% off) and there was plenty of it!

However, their service was really disappointing and it really let the whole experience down. We begun dining at 1pm and by 3pm, we'd had only one course and our plates had not been cleared away for approximately 30 minutes after eating. We intended to have dessert but frankly, did not think their service deserved anymore of our money. We paid at the bar, with our plates still uncollected, and left.

It's a shame because the food was fine, but the service made the experience memorable in all the wrong ways. I'd advise to avoid in the future!

• Korean first
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Great food, atrocious service.”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Zest is often the recipient of a good reputation amongst the people of Whitehaven, especially its classier brother. The harbourside restaurant is viewed as a cheaper but just as pleasant alternative. Perhaps a few years ago this superb reputation was deserved, unfortunately based on my visit on the 27th of December this is no longer the case.

Firstly, the positives: The food was outstanding. I had the pork belly which was served with a delicious extra of black pudding and a sumptuously creamy mash. Drinks arrived reasonably quickly and we were also pleased to see the Tastecard was accepted. The atmosphere was fine and there was no disruption to our meal.

Alas the review turns sour here. Our waitress, whilst perfectly polite, appeared utterly miserable;I don't think we saw a smile all afternoon. I've worked in a kitchen before and I empathise with the staff but it is not too taxing to present a smile! The restaurant was very busy when we arrived so our group accepted that our food could take a while, but we were waiting at least 50 mins for our mains. Yet that wasn't even the worst part, we had planned to get desserts but at 3pm (we arrived at 1) our mains had still not been cleared and we didn't even order a starter. Given this travesty of a waiting time, we decided to leave (with our plates still on the table). We complained to the waiter who served us our bill and he sincerely apologised, which was probably the best service we'd had all day.

Based upon the most recent reviews this establishment is clearly undergoing some problems at the moment. I can only hope it returns to its previous best. Staff training would be a great start, though the food remains good enough to make most salivate!

• Visited December 2013
Workington, United Kingdom
“cold and slow”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Went on a works night out and was surprised that it wasn't that busy given that its near to Christmas. However this you would've thought would make the service faster. How wrong could i be.
The food was cold and the order incomplete. Food very average, i think a lot of people just talk it up. Very over rated.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank PAUL s
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice lunch but wasn't what I ordered!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Nice enough place to visit for lunch. Good selection on the menu. Staff seemed friendly enough and the service was good. Worth a visit

Cumbria, UK
“Not an easy visit if you have a baby!”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Called for lunch with our one year old grandson; it said on the door that children were welcome.
I don't know if my expectations are too high, but when you are eating with a baby practical help is always very welcome. I asked if they had a highchair. The waitress said yes and pointed to the other end of the restaurant. Now I was there with my husband, but wouldn't it have been nice if she had said, with a smile, 'I'll just get one for you'. Then, trying to manoeuvre bags, buggy and baby and trying not to block any walk-through space was a nightmare. Talk about crammed in. We ordered fish and chips which was quite nice and we didn't have an age to wait. As my grandson eats anything we thought we would get some mini meatballs for him. I asked for small portion as obviously small child - think we got about 4-5 MINI meatballs. Those were spat out and even his Granda said they were awful. For those and portion of skinny fries it was about £5. Basically I felt totally stressed; I have had better service when I have been with my grandson in a 'greasy spoon' café. Had loads of lovely visits here years ago and I think for an adults get-together it would be spot on, but sorry, don't seem 'practically' geared up for children.

Visited November 2013