“Christmas cheer!”

The Globe
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Whitehaven
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Globe is a traditional public house that is a listed building and has some original features. We strive to be very welcoming and original. we serve very good Home-Cooked food and a selection of real ales. This is not a fast food outlet, and your evening should be relaxed and enjoyable.
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I returned to The Globe Inn with three friends for a Christmas meal. We each had the set Xmas Menu which was 3 courses for £20 and there were a few different choices for each course. We sampled most things between us and, even with the big portions, we ate every bit because it was too delicious to leave! Again I have to commend the style of the food, homemade but fresh and tasty.
All in all we had a lovely time, great value food, welcoming atmosphere and great service!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The food here is superb, and all home cooked. The veg was perfect - still fresh and crunchy but cooked. I had the surf 'n turf and it was done exactly as I wanted. The steak was melt in the mouth yet still really tasty (in my experience you don't often get both together. The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. Not only that, but the prices were very reasonable for the quality we experienced. AND, speaking as someone who really enjoys a pint of real ale, the beer was excellent and obviously very well looked after. We had a variety of different dishes in our group and everyone was pleased with the quality (and quantity - plenty without being over the top). I'd recommend The Globe to anyone who wants good honest food in a friendly pub setting rather than some "high and mighty" restaurant. We will certainly go there again!

1  Thank TravelJunkieGalore
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a pub that does excellent food - not a restaurant. Preferable, in my opinion!!! A group of 25 of us went for lunch on a weekday, when they would normally not be open at that time of day, but that was no problem - they opened specially! 25 was a lot for them to deal with at once as the pub is quite small, as is the kitchen, so all our meals were pre-ordered and we allowed plenty of time so we weren't rushed. Their full menu was available on their website.

We all got a wonderful welcome from the landlady and there were two locally brewed real ales on so many of us sampled those whilst settling down - both beers (different breweries) were very good.

We didn't have to wait long before the landlady started bringing out our food, and it looked so good as it was being served that I decided a photo would be in order! (It was only on my phone and doesn't do it justice)

It was all home-cooked, locally sourced and beautifully presented. The chips were real ones: hot, chunky and gorgeous! We felt they truly cared that we all enjoyed it!! The pub is very homely, freshly and nicely decorated/furnished, warm, bright and cosy - just a great experience! Can't commend it highly enough.

There is no car park but plenty of roadside parking in every direction around, and the car park for another pub round the corner can be used by Globe customers.

1  Thank CdeCCumbria
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Ate here in august as a familly of four, then as a large group of 10 people for Sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago. Both times we were all treated to good food for a reasonable price, with excellent service. Between us we tried most things on the menu and all was of good quality. everything seems fresh and well cooked, we even asked for some off menu items that were provided. I had beef for sunday dinner, which was plentiful with home made yorkshires and roast potatoes. The other occassion i had the curry which was really hot (as advertised) just the way i like it. The wife really enjoyed the homemade pie and for desert, the homemade cheesecake is a must. I can't remeber the name of the real ale i tried but it was really good also.

2  Thank gazham
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

From the outside the pub looked small and I didn't know what to expect, but I needn't have worried. The interior is cosy with a real Inn feel to it and an open log fire made it feel extra special.
We went on a Sunday and hadn't booked, the pub was very busy but the staff were brilliant at accommodating us and fit us in well.
We all had Roast dinners which were just like my Mum used to make! Home made roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings were amazing and the portions were huge... Still I managed to squeeze in the sticky toffee pudding and try a spoonful of my other halves cheesecake which were both heavenly!
We also took our 3 year old and the staff were more than happy to put together a toddler dinner for us but they did have a fab children's menu too.
We will definitely go back to this pub!

1  Thank Rachel F