“Glorious food (again!)”

the waterfront restaurant and bar
Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in Whitehaven
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Overton-on-Dee, United Kingdom
“Glorious food (again!)”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Visited the Waterfront a few days ago for the second time and we were blown away again by the quality of the food. The service is more 'relaxed' (but also more friendly!) than you would experience in London restaurants and in our experience you would pay much, much more for this quality of food where we live 'down south'.
This restaurant is a hidden gem in West Cumbria, the food looks divine, is innovative, exciting and tasty and the chef and manager are obviously keen to get things as perfect as they can every time for every course.
Would highly recommend for couples and groups of adults, this is our Cumbrian treat every time we visit now!

• Visited December 2012

Southend on Sea
“Good food but at city prices”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Went to the Waterfront last night in a party of 10. Overall it was good but the service really let down the great food.
I found the food expensive, definately London prices, but they miss the finesse that should go with it. Leaving unused wine glasses on the table, not taking side plates away....just the small things.
I would go back again as the food was delicious (apart from the creme brûlée which was horrid).

Workington
“Waited for ages”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Went out earlier this year and decided to try the waterfront, on a friday afternoon with only 2 other people in the place, waited for ages to be served and then it took over an hour for the food to arrive, fish and chips, it came with the fish on a chopping board with the chips in a little bucket and the peas in a pot on the side, while the boards looked clean I wonder how hygienic it is, and all the mucking about with things all separate. The food was OK but then another looong wait for anyone to bother to come and see if a sweet was required. All in all good food, let down by really bad service at a price that could be easily beaten by Zest next door.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Theregsy
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Great for Christmas pud!! ( and the rest)”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Yet again, great service, Adrian is so gracious , the food is great - lamb shank just lipsmackingly wonderful and Xmas pud with brandy butter and cream to finish - the wine list continues to be great just ask Adrian for a recommendation - he's spot on for me at least - so they pay attention to customers

St. Bees, United Kingdom
“Unforgettable... for all the right reasons!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I don't think I've ever reviewed anywhere more than once, but this is my third one for the Waterfront! The evening we spent there, enjoying an 8 course tasting menu on 17th November during their "Taste of Solway" weekend, was such a cut above anything I've experienced before that I felt it was really worth sharing. Every time i have eaten there the service has been great and the food lovely. On this occasion however, when they were specifically celebrating the amazing seafood that we have on our doorstep, it was truly exceptional. One of my fellow diners said "well that's the kind of evening you never forget" and I think that is how we all felt when we left.

I could happily rave on about every single course, but that would take too long! The highlights were a seafood risotto with avocado icecream which just blew us all away, the biggest & tastiest king scallop (if there is an emperor scallop I'm sure this was one!) with treats & truffle, and a stunning lobster bisque. Every mouthful was delicious and I hope I'm lucky enough to eat like this again! In addition, the service was perfect & Adrian matched wines to each course, giving enough background to be really interesting but not so much that it was a "lecture".

I think we are rather blessed to have a consistently excellent restaurant in Whitehaven, and the bonus is that you can treat yourself to an extraordinary menu like this, but equally enjoy a lunchtime light meal or not break the bank with evening food. OK I confess I'm a raving fan, and if everyone around our table came away saying "unforgettable, must go back" they must be getting it pretty spot on! Cheers Adrian and Simon for a really special evening.

• Visited November 2012