“A warm port of call in the frozen Lakes!”
Review of Wasdale Head Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wasdale Head
Wasdale Head Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Wasdale Head B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were camping at the local National Trust campsite - it was too cold to stay in the tent to cook so we headed up the road to the Wasdale Head Inn. Had a couple of great local ales and a hearty pie - was delicious and did the job but was a tad pricey (however all of the Lake District seems to be). The staff we were welcoming and happy to chat; provided walking knowledge and a pack of cards. Would return for a meal if staying in the area.

Did not stay so cannot comment on rooms or breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andrew W
There are newer reviews for Wasdale Head Inn

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spotted this pub whilst touring around Wastwater, treat ourselves to a nice warm drink by the open fire.
Staff were very friendly and answered lots of questions about the surrounding area, including Scarfell Pike.
Lots of history around the hotel, including a church and a small house.

They were very kind to my dog too, bringing him a drink and a biscuit.
Would definately recommend to friends and will return in the future.
Hopefully spend a couple of nights there too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bridget_jones1
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked 5 nights at this Inn after a good writeup in a magazine. I was looking forward to some challenging walking in wonderful scenery with a snug inn to return to. Well I got the first two. I ask only three things of a hotel, the room is clean, the bed is comfortable and the shower works. The first thing we found when settling in to our room was a dirty sock left by the (hopefully previous) occupant. There is a note by the shower warning that it does not always work (this was also quite grubby) and the bed was a small double with flat pillows and was really uncomfortable. Considering the weather this Easter the radiator was also turned off during the day and there was no heating at all in the bathroom. The first evening I ordered fish and chips and managed to cope with the barely cooked chips but on the second evening I ordered a cheeseburger, this time the problem was more cremation. When I asked for one that was not so overcooked they scraped the cheese off and returned the plate to me - I asked for my money back. The third evening we went a few miles down the road to another inn and had wonderful food. All in all I felt thoroughly ripped off by a place that effectively has a captive audience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 576KarenB
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Only had coffees but were served with lovely lattes. The food looked good but we'd already eaten. Walks and views nearby stunning, so well worth a visit and possibly a stay. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scottieYorkshire
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Called in at the end on March when it was a bit cold outside. The hotel gave us a warm reception and was heated.
Magnificent drying room.
Good supper, excellent beer.
The best cheese board in the lakes, well the best I had.
Superb breakfast and at a reasonable time

Room Tip: As the inn is not on mains water the supply to room 7 can be erratic.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CERDIC
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very dirty pub. Wife ordered vegetable soup and recieved lamb broth with no apologies. When soup eventually arrived it was poor quality. My meal was missing one of the items of the charcuterie board. Location excellent

• Stayed: April 2013
TheProf_London, Owner at Wasdale Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you for your review, and please accept my apologies for the disappointment you have suffered on your visit.

So that I can address these issues with my staff I'd be grateful if you could please help by giving me some more details.

In relation to the missing items on the charcuterie, did you bring this to the attention of the staff and if so what was their response?

You mention that the bar was dirty, can you give me something specific to go on please? Was this just mud/water on the floor from people's boots or was something else wrong?

I'm sorry we let you down, but hopefuly once you reply I can use the information to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Nigel 077 8523 4447

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed in the self catering at Wasdale head inn for 3 nights staff were fantastic looked after our every needs, highly recommended. Will be heading back very shortly.
The views are amazing and the walks are too, food 10 out 10 good portions after a long walk with good prices,

• Stayed: March 2013
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
The Derwentwater Hotel
The Derwentwater Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale

Been to Wasdale Head Inn? Share your experiences!