“Great Stay”

The Farmers Arms Lowick Green
Ranked #7 of 26 Ulverston B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We found the staff to be very friendly and welcoming, nothing was to much for them, the service was excellent, as was the beer and food.The staff were very accommodating and always busy, but always there when you needed something.
The hotel itself was very clean and well laid out, plenty of teas, coffee, biscuits etc in the rooms, very soft bed and pillows, with a huge car park.We were going to eat out at other pubs in the area, but found the meals to be good value for money and excellent so we ate there for four nights.

The landlady Debs and her husband, Angus were very sociable and very friendly, breakfast was very good and plentiful, i would recommend this to my friends

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Family of four had lovely meal, the roast was excellent we had a nice meal and good value for money, service was good, reception into restaurant could be better, the bar man seemed to be doing a lot of organising on his own !! other than that great highly recommend

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Having read the other reviews on trip advisor, we decided to have a meal at The Farmers Arms whilst staying in the local area. We were very glad that we did - so much so, we returned later in the week to eat there again. We booked our table on both occasions, the first time, I wanted to make sure that staff were able to cater for my dietary requirements (dairy free). I certainly didn't need to worry here. Both times, the staff were friendly and really helpful. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble even though they were busier on the second night. It does seem to be popular, so I would advise booking in advance - especially nearer the end of the week.
There was a vast selection on the menu and other dishes on the specials board. I am, unfortunately, a self confessed fussy eater and the food here was amazing. Everything was cooked fresh, which was great for me as I could have different dishes slightly adapted to meet my needs. The meat was lovely and tender and there was a nice selection of vegeatables. On the second time we visited, my husband and I both had the stuffed pheasant breast and we would both highly recommend this dish. I even found I could even have a nice dessert here - meringue with a selection of berries. It was delicious!
This inn is very quaint and cosy - very much a traditional style. It is situated in a beautiful part of the Southern lakes - near lake Conniston and there are some beautiful walks. The perfect romantic setting for taking a gentle stroll after such a nice meal - we were very fortunate both times we went and were able to watch a beautiful sunset over the hills and mountains after we had eaten. - Perfect. We will definitely return to the Farmer's arms if/when we are in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After a last minute decision to take off tp the Lake District with our daughter and granddaughter we decided to stop and have lunch here on the way. We had visited many many years ago and couldn't remember much about it.
The restaurant was cozy and pleasant , the staff helpful and friendle and the menu great.
My daughter plumped for the 20oz gammon having seen it arrive on a table near by, my husband the mixed grill, I had the 3 lamb chop special and our granddaughter had the roast beef dinner. All were fabulous - the gammon was huge , thick and hand cut from the joint - great chips too. The mixed grill - meat all served pink as my husband had ordered - huge! and my chops so tender ans stiull wonderfully pink - this is the first time in many years that my meat has been served as ordered and not overdone. The roast beef was good too - proper thick roast beef much to her delight. By the way my daughter says she will definately only oder the 10oz gammon next time - the 20oz nearyl got the better of her!
We were so pleased we stopped - we are planning another trip soon to take my mother in law - she will love it. Thank you for great food and good service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank frantasticdesigns
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I said the worst nights sleep ever but to be truthful, I didn't sleep properly all night. The noise from the cellar fan was horrendous. When I compailed next morning, I was told they had soundproofed room number four because of a complaint but hadn't done number three because no one had complained before.
We had been here a few times previously for their excellent Sunday lunch so decided to go there for dinner on our Wedding Anniversary. We decided to stay evernight so that my husband could have drink. I wish we hadn't bothered at all. Our starters were average, but, I had the mixed grill. I asked for my steak medium to rare but it was like a piece of burned rubber. To be fair I was given another which was properly cooked. My lamb chop was incinerated, in fact it didn't even look like a piece of lamb, it was awful. The sausage and the gammon were good though, and the fried egg was lovely.
Our bedroom was quite small but had everything we needed. Lovely biscuits to go with the coffee that was provided and delicious hot chocolate. The bathroom was very dated and needed a total refurb, but there was a nice range of toiletries provided and lovely fluffy towells.
Breakfast was really good however and we really enjoyed it.
I will go back again for their Sunday lunch, but I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room number three.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night. Very warm welcome. Beautiful setting. Place has loads of character. Lovely to wake up to the sound of the birds and the sheep. Restaurant served a first class fillet steak and lovely pie so we recommend you book an evening meal. Portions are large so breakfast and evening meal is plenty for a hungry appetite. We recommend it and we will book again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had a double room which fronted onto main road. The room was small but clean. No room to sit. Bathroom needed some work as tiles were cracked and sealant mouldy. Nice towels and there was a selection of toiletries. The bed was a little firm for my personal liking but had a good nights sleep. Although fronting onto main road the double glazing kept the noise low, although we would have preferred to have a window open at this time of the year (June).

On this visit we did not have an evening meal although we have eaten there before and meals are good value. We both had a cooked breakfast from a typical list of options. The quality was first class and it was cooked well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple