“A tranquil and unexpected delight”

Bay Horse Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 26 Ulverston B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2010

The Bay Horse Inn, a small charming place to stay in a surprising environment, has rooms with splendid views over the Leven Estuary where you can sit on your balcony in the morning with a tray of coffee and biscuits and while away the time watching the bird life which is plentiful. Dogs are welcome and the food is sublime with excellent, welcoming service from the staff. A place you will wish to return to.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Friendly welcome from the staff with professional service. Superb food at an excellent value. Extremely well presented, especially the sweet!! Too nice to eat! Highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed at the Bay Horse visiting a nearby client. The hotel is really a pub with excellent food and nine or ten rooms. The Rooms are comfortable and clean, if a little 70's in decor style, which kind of adds to the ambience. The view from my room was fantastic - I stayed in "Curlew" which overlooks the bay, and I sat watching Curlews pick shellfish from the sands, very relaxing!
I joined my colleague for a pint of two of real ale in the bar, sat by the roaring real fire, before the very pleasant waitress came to our table to take our order for dinner. We adjourned to the conservatory for dinner where we had both gone for the parma ham, goats cheese and fig salad starter - a meal in itself and absolutely delicious, then I had a very nice Sirloin Steak, Aberdeen Angus, hung for 28 days and cooked to perfection, seered on the outside and nice and pink in the middle, beautiful! My colleague went for the Halibut the waitress had recomended, which I had to taste as I was torn between that and the steak, it too was fantastic.
Breakfast was also very good, with local bacon, sausage, black pudding, white pudding, fried bread etc, followed by toast with homemade jams.
The hearty well cooked food is a strong point of this hotel and apparently they do cookery demonstrations.
I would certainly recomend the hotel, would stay again, and will probably take the wife for a relaxing night away very soon.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2010

A special place to stay that had the cosiness of an Inn combined with high quality food.

We were received by the friendliest of staff, ate the most excellent food; slept in a comfortable, warm room with a view (across a bay towards Morecambe) and judged it good value for money.

A place we would be happy to return to!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Myself and my partner have just enjoyed a two night break at the Bay Horse Ulverston
and as this is a pet friendly hotel we were able to take our dog. We found the bar area to
be warm, charming and homely with its open fire and old style furnishing. It is well
stocked with a variety of lagers, cider and beer pumps all of which were working
(we can vouch for that). As we had our dog with us we ate our meals (same menu) in the
bar and always had a reserved table of our choice. The restaurant itself is a very pleasant adjoining conservatory style annex overlooking the sea and Morecambe bay.
Our evening meals consisted of beautifuly cooked and presented steaks, pork, fish and
home baked bread. Breakfasts were also superb ,great choice and home made jams and lemon curd.
Our room also overlooked the bay, it had tea/cofee, trouser press, hair dryer , lcd tv with freeview channels and free wi fi. All clean and tidy and perfect for us
Throughout our stay all staff were helpful, polite, hard working and helped create a terrific
atmosphere.
Many thanks to you all, see you again, thanks

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simsop
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This had been highly recommended but was a real disappointment and was very expensive for what was offered. (Table d'hote £30 (coffee extra); à la carte significantly more.) Examples: Cheapest wine £18 and not even a DOC (It was 'typical of region'). Vegetables offered to go with fish pie (with potato topping) were potatoes, mashed swede, a few beans and a few parsnips - no other choice. Real ale badly kept - it would have been off at least 3 days before - I left it unfinished, and for me that's saying something! Small bedroom and bathroom - the shower was a curtain in the bath - curtain sticks to you. No tea or coffee in room. Tatty flooring in restaurant.
Pleasant staff but hampered by the concept of meals served only at 7:30 for 8:00 - in reality 8:20. Hence staff were rushed and unable to deal with requests properly at the start. Amazing views from certain rooms (and the restaurant if not dark). Breakfast nicely cooked. This establishment is living in the past.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RobRobJenJen
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I had to stay in Ulverston on business and the Bay Horse was recommended by the company I was visiting as it was close to their facility. The hotel lies at the end of a leafy country lane, in fact the road ends here overlooking the bay.
The hotel only has 9 letting bedrooms (each named after an aquatic bird) most of which have a great view of the bay. The surprise (at first) was that there is no reception area, the receptionist is also the barmaid! A warm & friendly greeting and being personally shown to the room was a great start to a great stay. The room was not spacious but clean & well equipped - plenty of magazines (these & a large variety of books are scattered throughout the hotel for guests) - satellite tv etc. - altogether, 'cosy'
The bar area is very country old world & a great place to relax - again, great service & attention from the staff.
I had been told that this hotel was once owned by a gourmet chef (didn't find out which one) and wherever he is now I hope he is working the same magic as he has here. The dinner was of the finest quality, the steak I had was cooked exactly (and I mean exactly) as ordered, all the trimmings were of equal quality - the bread rolls (made on the premises) were to die for.
My stay was only one night but this hotel is now firmly in my book of places to stay when I am on the road - well done to all the staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulverston
Aynsome Manor Hotel
#2 of 26 in Ulverston
The Ship Inn
The Ship Inn
#5 of 5 in Ulverston

Been to Bay Horse Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!