Town House Ulverston
$95
Dunes Hotel(Barrow-in-Furness)
$94
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have only just regained my composure after my partner and I left this joke of a b&b just over an hour ago

My partner was in his 3rd week of staying at this bed and breakfast (in a double room) after being transferred to Ulverston for work (he is a chemical engineer). I reside, work and am a homeowner in Manchester and prior to yesterday had visited him once in the first week he moved. Of course, my partner had asked the owner if me staying would be okay and he said it would be - adding £20 to the charge for double occupancy for the night.

I can't say that the reception I received was friendly, in fact it was positively frosty. No smiles, no 'how did you sleep', no 'morning'.... just sly looks as we came down the stairs in the morning and vast suspicion when my partner went to work first thing and I stayed for an hour to make appointments for us to view rental properties.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I am back in Ulverston, having secured appointments for us to view rental properties in the area so that my partner can move out of the bed and breakfast and we can have a holiday home to spend the odd weekend in The Lakes.

I arrive to 'Oh, you're here, are you', take it with a pinch of salt and we go out for dinner for the evening. We arrive back at 9pm and are both asleep by 10pm. Not exactly Rock n Roll!! We get up to another frosty reception at breakfast and again my partner leaves for work at 7.50am. He has booked half day at work so we can view properties in the afternoon. I stay in the room to finish a project for work that I will be presenting first thing the following morning. (I hope I am building a picture of responsible, mid-thirties professionals as this is exactly what we are - not some crazy party animals!)

At 11am there is a knock on the door and, having made the bed I call 'it's okay thank you'. The owner shouts back through the door 'I need to clean the room, I was expecting someone who went out to work, not stayed in all day'

Obviously I take umbrage, but I answer the door full of smiles and politely explain that I am there to view properties and that I will be out by midday and that in fact, I am working - I just happen not to be in my place of work today. The owner tells me that he doesn't know who I am and he was expecting someone who went out to work, and that the room is for one, not two and that he wasn't expecting me to stay. He is clearly angry and talking to me as though I am some kind of drain on society - in fact I am fairly convinced by this point that he thinks I am some kind of lady of the night!

I apologise and explain that it is one of two nights that I have stayed in the 3 weeks my partner has been there and he says' well it won't be next week, we're fully booked' then says ' I don't want him to stay anymore anyway, the room is always a state in the mornings'. Obviously I am taken aback and explain that I have not been there for the majority of the time, could he explain to me in what way is the room 'a state'. He says 'the bedding is always a mess and there is water in the bottom of the shower' (so my partner sleeps and washes - surely these make him a viable member of society - not the opposite?!)..Nevertheless, I invite the owner into the room to have a look at the fact that I have made the bed this morning in anticipation of not needing a room clean....... he declines but makes it absolutely clear that we are no longer welcome...

As soon as he left the doorway, I called my partner absolutely distraught at having been treated in such a manner. I managed to calm myself down enough to call The Bay Horse and book a room there for the night - needless to say my partner will be finding somewhere else to stay until we find somewhere to rent!

All I can say is I have never, never, never been treated with such disdain and for absolutely no reason whatsoever. If we had come in late, maybe... if we were loud, maybe.... if we had had 'relations' in the room audibly (we didn't have any, audibly or otherwise, more's the pity!), or disrespected the establishment in any way whatsoever, then maybe, maybe I could find a reason to excuse this kind of behaviour. I can't even call it discrimination as we are middle-aged, working, white, british, average build, able-bodied individuals...

So if you are 'different' in anyway and even if you're not - I would think very carefully before staying at this bed and breakfast. They seem to prefer it with no guests to ruin their clearly finely tuned and absolutely baffling equilibrium....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
17  Thank Sian T
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed here for one night stopover after xmas party.
Had single room with separate private, huge shower room.
Can't comment on other rooms but single was perfectly acceptable and bed was comfortable.
Breakfast menu was varied and poached eggs on muffins were very good.
Owners were friendly.
The only issue may be the parking if you stay for a while and want to leave your car there.They have room for two cars at the back of the building, but they have to be moved when the owner needs his car out as you have to park in front of his garage. No big deal if you're out all day anyway.
On the upside the location is great right in the centre of Ulverston with some great pubs and restaurants....and don't forget the Laurel & Hardy museum!
I'd stay again.