“Thank goodness Gavin, Vanir, Cizzy & Staff are back!”
Review of The Lancastrian Hotel - CLOSED

The Lancastrian Hotel
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We serve food seven days a week, with our popular meal deal menu on offer Monday-Saturday £6.50 For a two course and £7.50 For a three course meal. This menu is cooked freshly and we update it daily. Our Sunday lunch is very popular £4.95 For a small and £6.50 A large, we have three meats on offer on the day with a popular specials boards, along side our trademark meals. We look after parties for all occasions with buffets from £2.50 A head. We have a popular kids menu at £2.95 A head with a complimentary ice cream. We also have quiz night on a Wednesday and regular entertainment at the weekend.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The Lanky was always first choice for excellent, affordable meals, whether it was with family, friends or a party. However when Gavin & family moved on to pastures new we just did not enjoy eating there anymore.
Now they are back and so are we, for a super choice of lovely food, excellent service and really nice wine at a very good price.
We will continue to eat there for as long as Gavin is running the restaurant and providing such excellent value meals.

1  Thank Lindyloula

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

5 adults & 2 kids-we went for 3 course (2 course for kids) deal. we all had different choices & everyone finished with empty plates. food was yummy, good portion size on each course, service was attentive & friendly, overall fantastic value @ £7.50 for three courses & £2.95 for kids 2 courses. Havent been to Lanky in years, definitely would go back- in fact going again next week!

1  Thank Jacqueline O
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We always used to eat at the Lancastrian when visiting my family but had not done for a few years due to a bad experience. When we found previous owners had returned, we went back for family dinner. Thankfully they are back with a nicer menu and friendly staff, thank you. If you want a good honest meal in a restaurant which offers good food at reasonable prices then pick the Lanky especially if you have a large group with various tastes.

3  Thank Clive210354
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Went to the "Lanky" for Christmas day dinner with mum and dad and I have to say how much we all enjoyed it. Gavin and Vanir have only been back there a couple of months but already seem to be improving the service and bringing back some of the old customers after a few lean years.
We had pate, veg soup and prawn and melon cocktail for starters followed by roast turkey with all the trimmings. After eating the first 2 courses we decided to have a break before our sweets arrived as the portions were that big and we were all stuffed!! Gavin and Vanir kept checking with us that we were ok so after a break of about 40 mins (and another beer) we were ready for the Christmas pud and brandy sauce, Mmmm.
Eventually after we had eaten and drunk up we went home but found it slow going as we had all eaten so much!!
For £20 a head that was an excellent meal and well worth it, (the beer was good as well) Think I'll be going again and I know mum and dad will as they only live round the corner from the "Lanky"
Thank you Gavin and Vanir, that was brilliant. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.
I also picked up a meal deal menu while we were there, 1 course £5.95, 2 for £6.50 and 3 courses for only £7.50!! Great value and loads of choice. See you are only ranked number 15 in Ulverston at the moment. Carry on like this and you should soon go much higher.

2  Thank Ian G
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start?
The prices for this kind of establishment is way way too much! I mean 9 quid for a burger which is what I had and I expected a decent burger for that money but no! I get a burger that I'm sure came from a pack of ten from iceland which isn't fair on Iceland really.
And with my burger I get ten chips which we're the best part of my meal and from what I could tell the locals who were drinking here seemed to know this! as all they were eating were chips with their drinks.

Kids meals im sure we're packaged meals through the microwave, my kids normally eat well not today! I sampled the food and could totally agree why they couldn't eat it.

No debit card payment possible which forced us to go to the cash machine at the petrol station which cost us an extra £1.50 in charges!

Cleanliness of the establishment is also in question, the toilets stink! And the smell of damp is almost over powering!

I should have taken the hint that not many people were eating there but it was quite early 1730 and I thought hey were just one of the first. foolish mistake :-(

Why this place has so many high reviews baffles me? I can only assume this is from locals who come here for the pub and chips.

The place has a feel of desperation about it, I mean how bad does it have to get that you start watering down the tomato sauce to save money?

I'll finish on a high note though, the girl that was serving us was truly the only endearing thing about the place nice and welcoming, and helpful to a fault.

I will not be coming back unless it's for a drink and chips with the lads.

1  Thank tanstair
factualonly, Manager at The Lancastrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to review the pub.
Our butcher is delighted that you have mistaken his burgers for ones from Iceland - he informs that it has been his life ambition to be so noted.
Kid's meals - as you don't say what they ate I am unable to comment; Scampi - wholetail, frozen from Bookers, as are the nuggets and fish fingers. Sausages from local butcher.
No debit card machine is an ongoing issue with the brewery, the holding company and the telephone company and is as frustrating for me as it is for you.
Cleanliness - a previous comment mentioned the "overpowering smell of air freshener from the toilets". You mention the overpowering smell of damp. As we have not changed our cleaning schedule between the two visits I can only say that one of you must be mistaken.
Why do we have so many positive reviews? Beats me - we just produce good quality homecooked food and charge for that effort. We have no sway on reviews. Perhaps others are more easily pleased than yourself?
Thank you for the positive comments about your waitress. Unfotunately I had to sack her after reading your review because it did not matter how many times I told her not to do so, she simply would not stop watering down the ketchup.
I am grateful that you have decided not to come back and hope that you are able to receive more affordable food of better quality at a lower price than we are able to produce, elsewhere.
Kindest regards