“Can't believe the reviews”
Review of The Lancastrian Hotel - CLOSED

The Lancastrian Hotel
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We serve food seven days a week, with our popular meal deal menu on offer Monday-Saturday £6.50 For a two course and £7.50 For a three course meal. This menu is cooked freshly and we update it daily. Our Sunday lunch is very popular £4.95 For a small and £6.50 A large, we have three meats on offer on the day with a popular specials boards, along side our trademark meals. We look after parties for all occasions with buffets from £2.50 A head. We have a popular kids menu at £2.95 A head with a complimentary ice cream. We also have quiz night on a Wednesday and regular entertainment at the weekend.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We wanted somewhere to eat in ulveston last Saturday, and consulted tripadvisor. The Lancastrian is or was number1 so we went, at about 7:30pm..
The place was totally unwelcoming. The room is huge, and was empty except for 2 or3 drinkers and 2 sat at a table.
The first thing we noticed was the smell from the toilets, of overpowering air freshener.
The whole place was totally horrible, so bad that I am at a loss with regards to the previous reviews.

Needless to say we left with out eating, and went to the Stan Laurel.

1  Thank Bob B
factualonly, Manager at The Lancastrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your visit and your feedback.

Phew! I can finally relax.

After so many positive comments in a very short space of time propelled us to number 1 on Tripadvisor, I have been telling our whole team that whilst being number 1 is always nice, it makes us a target for professional complainers, and that someone would come in and slaughter us.

Trip Advisor reviews are generally given for four separate aspects; Food, Service, Value and Atmosphere.

A) Food - you had the opportunity to eat our offering and rubbish that too but you never took the chance. Why not?
B) Service - why have you neglected to make comment about the actual service you did or did not receive?
C) Value - you could have had a real go about the prices on the menu but never took the opportunity?
D) Atmosphere - you slaughtered it because there was only, "2 or 3 drinkers and 2 sat at a table".

As I stated earlier in my response, being number 1.attracts professional complainers and it also attracts professional jealousy. I note with delight and a big smirk on my face that you have been a member of Tripadvisor since January 2012.

Since then you have completed 3 reviews.
A) A Turkish hotel - August 2 - rated good
B) Ourselves - August 19 - rated terrible
C) Another restaurant (The Stan Laurel) in Ulverston - August 19 - rated Excellent

On our review you say that you picked us because we are number 1 and say that because of the rubbish experience you chose the Stan Laurel - currently ranked number 10. Why not Poppies or The Coach House or Amigos; ranked 2, 3 and 4?

On your Stan Laurel review you specifically state you went there after, "a bad experience at The Lancastrian....."

I think, my friend, that your review says more about you and your friends at The Stan Laurel than it says about us :-) Tell them that I will be down to see them soon and sample their offer.

I would like to thank you for telling everyone about our "huge room". It 's the very same room that allowed us to cater to 145 other diners on Sunday and strangely enough not one of them mentioned the "overpowering smell from the toilets".

Peace & Love

Richie & Bev x

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Myself and my daughters have just had a meal at the Lancastrian. Firstly, can I say how excellent the food was and really good value for money. Secondly, the waitress was lovely and couldn't have been anymore obliging. Thirdly, having had the roast, I am seriously considering booking for Christmas Day.
would highly recommend it to anyone.

factualonly, Manager at The Lancastrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for choosing to visit and dine with us and we really do appreciate constructive feedback.
I am glad that you think us to be good value as we have had a couple of recent gripes from people who have looked at the menu and decided not to eat "at those prices".
We try to provide top quality food at VALUE prices and it is nice that this focus is appreciated.
Your Christmas comment appears quite random but gives me an opportunity to say that we will be providing a Christmas Party Menu throughout December and that due to the amount of requests locally that we will be catering for Christmas Diners on Christmas Day.
We look forward to seeing you again - hopefully before December.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to the Lancastrian with 2 adults and 4 children as it had been recommended by a number of people who had also made recent visits. We took advantage of the kids eat for £1 which is excellent value. The adults ordered a fish and meat meal and being a vegetarian I went for the usual veggie burger. On bringing out the meals the manager took it upon himself to bring a new vegetarian option that was going on the menu for me to try (pepper stuffed with risotto and a gorgeous sauce around the outside). This was a lovely surprise and tasted absolutely delicious, even the meat eaters thought so. The meals were all lovely and freshly cooked and although very tempted by dessert we passed as we were too full, although the kids did choose an ice-cream each. We ate in the beer garden which was great as the kids loved the pets corner and mainly the mini bouncy castle. It is a beautiful beer garden with amazing views over the fields to birkrigg common. We were all very impressed with the quality of meals and service. The manager went out of his way to help. We will definitely be returning.

factualonly, Manager at The Lancastrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments and for choosing to dine with us. We feel that the property is big enough to try and cater for all ages and tastes. The beer garden and parking spaces are a huge plus point and our chef really makes an effort to appeal to all diets and palettes. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Staff are awesome. Nice atmosphere. Food is really good and a bargain. I normally go for lunch when hubby is off work. I look forward to going for an evening meal but everyone I know that has had one says it was amazing.

factualonly, Manager at The Lancastrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We really do try to give good value as well as serving great tatsing food and I look forward to serving you when you come for an evening meal. Just about everything on the menu is prepared from scratch and that is all down to our chef who is always playing with his flavours and combinations. Sometimes they don't work but most times they do.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We recently visited the Lancastrian on a Wednesday night which is the specials curry night. We both opted for the chicken jalfrezi with half chips/rice. We didn't wait long till we were brought a delicious smelling plate of food with the curry served in authentic balti dish. The curry was delicious, the chicken very moist and nicely spiced with lovely homemade chips and a small naan bread. All the curry were priced £7.95 including a pint - great value for money. We then stayed for the entertainment:- fun quiz, bingo and play your cards right. Great night, great food, great atmosphere and doesn't break the bank - what's re can you ask for :)

factualonly, Manager at The Lancastrian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. The Wednesday Curry Night Deal is certainly picking up, particularly with the people that come for the quiz, bingo, PYCR night. Many positive comments about the curries that we serve and it is great that people want to try the different cuisines on our menu. Hope to see you again soon.