“Avoid at all costs”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
England, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I went here a few years ago and the waiters were really rude. I went today and if anything they were worse. If you like an average meal constantly disturbed by kids running wild and punctuated by rude staff then eat here. Everyone else please avoid. The British Raj is not as pretty but it is the best curry shop in the area and it is cheaper!

1 Thank 968John

UK
“NAAZ food - always good!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Love a treat, this is the place to go. danny and his staff are great, will even alter dishes to suit. I like the Garlic Chickent Balti and mushroom rice! I'm taking my son for his 23rd birthday this week, we love it. Suitable for kids, couples solo and those on business.

• Visited December 2012
“Nice, clean”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We went for valentine weekend, we thought the meal was very nice, only disappointed with the rice , had garlic rice ad not all that tasty and quiet dry .. A naan bread we had wasn't very big compared to what we are use to .. Overall average

Bowdon - UK
“Fancy waiting 1 Hour 35 Minuted for a Curry?”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I went with my wife for a weekend in the Lake District - my daughter had booked the Newby Bridge Hotel as a gift for us. Realising that Ulverston was close by we headed off there for the evening. There was a Dickensian festival on so the town was very busy, the street market was just closing and the restaurants were doing a roaring trade. We found the Naaz on Google, reckoning that this was probably the best of the three main Indian Restaurants in Ulverston.

We entered from the cold and rain and stood for about 5 minutes. There was a girl at the bar/till area totalling up a bill and she completely ignored us. I said, 'are you busy' she lifted her head briefly and said 'oh yes', and put her head back down again. We were just about to leave when a smiling waiter came up and said there would be a table in 20 minutes. 'Shall we book' we asked, 'no I will remember you' OK we said heading off for a walk round.

We came back 20 minuted later and were once again ignored by the girl - OK we know how this works now I thought and waited for the smiley man to appear. He did but looked blank - so I reminded him he said a table would be available. He sat us down at a reception area table at 7.45 no offer of a drink- he just left us waiting. Eventually at about 8.05 we got a table and we sat in an area adjoining the bar area. We ordered drinks and food at the same time and poppadums arrived fairly quickly. After 15 minuted I went to the bar, grabbed a nearby waiter and cajoled him in to serving us some drinks. This was half an hour after coming in! We sat and waited, and waited and waited.

After another 5 minuted our drinks arrived! looking puzzled because we already had some, the smiley waiter said, 'these are on the house' OK I said, not really wanting two pints of lager to drink at once.

We waited, and waited, and waited and waited. A guy at a nearby table marched off to the kitchen at abut 10 past 9 - yes 1 hour 25 minuted after we arrived! He was trying to be nice but was clearly 'refreshed' after the day out. We waited and waited. Eventually tara! at 9.20 the food arrived. 'Lamb Rajastani' a rather surly waiter blurted at me. 'Is it hot?' I asked back. 'LAMB RAJASTANI' he shouted back - looking even more annoyed and surly - 'here I said' praying for his sake that it was hot - it was passable.

The food was run of the mill high street curry - slightly chewy grilled lamb in standard thick red sauce. the Bombay potatoes were OK and the bindi bhaji, standard - nothing special and all over in 5 minutes. My wife had Kashmeri Lamb which was full of fruit - she said it was OK.

We had a chat with smiley man afterwards and he explained that the barman had not turned up. So the disinterested person we saw on the bar wasn't supposed to serve drinks or greet people - I guess that was not he job hence ignoring us. Apparently when the barman doesn't turn up it upsets the flow and our order had sat on the bar and had never made it to the kitchen - so the food was quickly rustled up.

We got up to pay and of course the now flat, now warm lager and coke were on the bill. I told the 'non' bar girl this who gave us a little snarl and said, 'well its on the bill' luckily smiley man was on the bar now and told her to take it off.

This is quite possibly the worst Indian restaurant I have ever eaten in. The staff were a mixed bag - one was smiley, one bemused, one embarrassed and one frankly threatening! I will never go here again. There is no excuse for this – the restaurant was not particularly busy and there was plenty of staff to fill in had things been organised properly. The girl was just lazy and irritating – she kept getting up and leaving the door open as a result it was cold and draughty.

• Visited November 2012
Kiwigirl839
“Continues to be a favourite.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have lived in the area for 2 years now and order from Naaz fortnightly. The food is always wonderfully prepared, the staff are friendly and attentive.

We have used their take-away and delivery service and are very pleased with both. Our meals are packaged neatly and arrive hot.

Dining in is always a treat as the staff are friendly, attentive and helpful.

• Visited June 2012