“Not your typical pub grub!”

The General Burgoyne
Ranked #22 of 74 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are an old style Country Pub based in the village of Urswick, nearby to Ulverston, Dalton and Barrow. We offer a friendly atmosphere with a fully stocked bar. For those wanting to dine we offer a pub classics menu with an edge, some items include Cajun Chicken, Steaks, Gammon, Lasagne, Sausage, Burgers, Stir Frys and Homemade Pies. The venue also offers an early bird menu served Wed - Sat between 5pm and 6pm. We are dog friendly in the bar area and welcome families into the establishment. The pub also has BT sport, pool table and dart board as well as several board games and cards available to add to the family experience
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Visited the 'Burgoyne' last Thursday evening and received a warm welcome. It is some years since
I last visited and my how things have changed! This former village pub is now an upmarket eaterie but still retains all of the original charm.

Although the menu is not large the choice is sufficient. I chose a fish dish which was cooked to perfection. A friend had a dessert which was original and luscious. The quality of the ingredients and unique presentation give the edge here. Yes the prices are on the high side but when you consider the preparation involved in all aspects of this menu I would say worth paying.

My final point and for me VERY important, real ale is served here and it was great.

Well done.

generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Thank you for your recent review and your kind words. Everything we serve is homemade and a lot of thought goes into each and every dish we send out from the kitchen. We purposefully keep our menu quite concise in order to retain consistency and quality - it worries me when I see a huge menu - how can everything possibly be made to order and bought in fresh when a menu offers an excessively large choice?? Fresh, local, top quality and seasonal is our ethos here!

So pleased to hear you like the way we've successfully managed to retain the olde worlde charm of the Burgoyne, whilst bringing the food bang up to date! Thanks also for your comments on the real ales, as chef and landlord, Craig takes real pride in keeping his ales in tip top condition!

We look forward to welcoming you to the Burgoyne in the future.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely Sunday Lunch. The Celery soup and accompanying bread were excellent and the Lamb roast melted in my mouth. The vegetables were well prepared and plentiful my only comment was that I personally do not like so much gravy and would have found it preferable to have a little on my plate and the rest in a jug. I also liked the fact that Yorkshire pudding was an optional extra as I only like this with beef. There was a large portion of lamb which came pink and liked by myself but the option to have this cooked a little more was taken up by my fellow diner. We did not have room for dessert but coffee came with a homemade shortcake biscuit which was a lovely touch. I have no hesitation of recommending this restaurant and can understand why it won this years award.

Thank you for your kind words and your positive review - so pleased to hear you enjoyed your sunday lunch with us, we have been told on many occasions its the best around :-) The gravy issue is a difficult one, some like a lot, others just a little, if you'd let us know you would've liked a small amount on the plate and a small jug to accompany we'd have been more than happy to oblige - let us know next time, and we'll make sure it's just how you like it, no problem :-)

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Been many times never had a bad meal or even a average meal alway of a high quality very fresh would go again any day.

1  Thank sean1983_11

Thank you for your 5 star review - good to hear appreciation form customers who enjoy the best in life!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2013

A fantastic meal had by me and my family, great solid cooking by a talented chef. Great service and a lovely atmospheric pub really worth a visit!!!

generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind words Duncan. So pleased you an your family had an enjoyable evening at the General Burgoyne - we look forward to welcoming you on future visits.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The restaurant is located in an attractive village. The beer was good and the chips first class - large and not greasy. The meals were good all round and the service pleasing with no fuss.

1  Thank Xoltan
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Good to hear you enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere in our cosy country pub. We look forward to welcoming you to the Burgoyne in the future.