“Great food, great service, great pub”

The General Burgoyne
Ranked #17 of 78 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are an old style Country Pub based in the village of Urswick, nearby to Ulverston, Dalton and Barrow. We offer a friendly atmosphere with a fully stocked bar. For those wanting to dine we offer a pub classics menu with an edge, some items include Cajun Chicken, Steaks, Gammon, Lasagne, Sausage, Burgers, Stir Frys and Homemade Pies. The venue also offers an early bird menu served Wed - Sat between 5pm and 6pm. We are dog friendly in the bar area and welcome families into the establishment. The pub also has BT sport, pool table and dart board as well as several board games and cards available to add to the family experience
Reviewed June 22, 2013

A fantastic meal had by me and my family, great solid cooking by a talented chef. Great service and a lovely atmospheric pub really worth a visit!!!

generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind words Duncan. So pleased you an your family had an enjoyable evening at the General Burgoyne - we look forward to welcoming you on future visits.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The restaurant is located in an attractive village. The beer was good and the chips first class - large and not greasy. The meals were good all round and the service pleasing with no fuss.

1  Thank Xoltan
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Good to hear you enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere in our cosy country pub. We look forward to welcoming you to the Burgoyne in the future.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

As I have family in Urswick, I have visited the Burgoyne on several occasions for drinks in the bar area. I have always found it to be a pleasant pub and this was one of the reasons we visited it for food recently.

On the evening in question, we had organised for a large party to celebrate a birthday, and as a consequence, had pre-ordered our meals. I had initially found the menu relatively limited but opted for the fish and chips.

Upon arriving at the Burgoyne, we were directed to the conservatory dining room and this is where the problems began to occur.

Firstly, the restaurant staff had only evidence for fifteen meals, in spite of us pre-ordering sixteen meals. Whilst this was not a major issue in itself, the manner in which the initial waitress delivered this news to our party left a lot to be desired in terms of the hospitality industry's etiquette. She was abrupt and insisted that we had misinformed the restaurant on our party number.

Once we had sorted the order out and confirmed that we did indeed require sixteen meals, our food (which I can only assume had been cooked in advance and left under some form of heating contraption) came out. Unfortunately, the Burgoyne staff had made yet another error and cooked too many steaks and too few portions of fish and chips, so I had to have steak. The waitress did say they could cook a fish dish to order but by this time the rest of the company had started eating and I didn't want to wait twenty minutes to be served.

My steak was approximately one centimetre thick and so tough that my thumb began to ache by the time I was halfway through cutting it. All of the steaks had been ordered medium rare to medium, yet when they arrived they were at least well-done; some bordered on cremated. Steak knives were not available.

With food and drinks combined, I would hazard a guess that we spent around £250 at the Burgoyne that evening and I have never been so sorely disappointed with the organisation, food and attitudes encountered. I have never eaten at a Wetherspoons, however the quality of the food that night was likened to a budget chain's produce.

I sincerely hope that we just happened to have a rare and unlucky experience as the Burgoyne always struck me as a reputable venue. In this instance, I found it to be over-priced and understated.

5  Thank JacBecka

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RE-POST YOUR REVIEW FOLLOWING OUR REQUEST THAT YOU REMOVE YOUR ORIGINAL REVIEW WHICH CONTAINED FALSE ALLEGATIONS THAT MEMBERS OF YOUR PARTY CONTRACTED FOOD POISONING AS A RESULT OF DINING WITH US!

Your reservation was for 15 people at 7pm. A deposit was paid for 15 people and a pre order received for 15 meals.

The final members of your party arrived at 7.30pm - 30 minutes after the table reservation time, which does cause a back log of orders in the kitchen and impacts on service to every table, with a large table at 7pm running into 7.30pm/8pm bookings on a very busy weekend night.

On seating your party we discovered you had brought an extra guest - not a problem, we laid an extra setting at the table and established who the extra guest was in order to take their order, which turns out due to your strangely written pre order, we already had! 'peppercorn sauce with a rump steak' led us to believe this was a sauce order to go with one of the the steak orders - we eventually established you meant 'rump steak with a peppercorn sauce'! This did not present a problem in any way and was sorted out before the food was brought to the table, so did not in any way cause a delay in service.

One member of your party was so rude to my head waitress that she was reduced to tears!

All meals were sent to your table exactly as per your pre order. As is often the case with large parties who don't provide names along with their pre-order, someone forgets what they've ordered or changes their mind and takes someone elses meal. We did ask for names with the pre-order but your party organiser declined to supply us with this information.

All of the steaks were cooked to the pre-order and are char grilled so do have colour on the outside. Steak knives are available on request but none of your party requested one. The reason we do not supply them automatically is they serve only to tear the meat apart due to their serration. Our steaks are very good quality and our dinner knives are sharp. However, I shall pass your comments regarding meat quality on as feedback to our butcher.

I can't express deeply enough my disappointment that you didn't enjoy your meal at Cumbria Life Dining Pub of the Year 2013, but mostly the fact that despite being asked, nobody voiced their concerns, yet you choose the rather impersonal medium of trip advisor to air your views, when had one of the 15 guests in your party made it known on the evening, and afforded us the opportunity to put right your perceived problems, we could have improved your experience.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a brilliant night we had at the gourmet evening on Friday. Food and service was excellent. Some of the dishes certainly got us talking and this added to the whole experience. We would recommend to anyone who enjoys good food!

So pleased you enjoyed your recent experience at one of our very popular Gourmet Evenings. These nights give Craig a chance to experiment and really raise the bar in pub food in this area, whilst giving customers the opportunity to experience fine dining style food without the formality that often comes along with this style of food. We look forward to welcoming you and your family to our cosy country pub in the future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Went with family on a bank holiday Sunday , staff friendly and helpful even though one was off sick, food was lovely espeically the veg option , prices a little high , nice beer .

Good to hear you enjoyed your meal and your evening with us at the General Burgoyne. Everything we serve is homemade and freshly prepared to order, using only the best quality local seasonal produce. If we don't make it we don't serve it - and we think we're safe in saying we're unique for that in the area - even our bread and ice cream is homemade :-) We look forward to welcoming you to the General Burgoyne in the future.