“A "GOOD DEAL" that was not!!”

The General Burgoyne
Ranked #22 of 73 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are an old style Country Pub based in the village of Urswick, nearby to Ulverston, Dalton and Barrow. We offer a friendly atmosphere with a fully stocked bar. For those wanting to dine we offer a pub classics menu with an edge, some items include Cajun Chicken, Steaks, Gammon, Lasagne, Sausage, Burgers, Stir Frys and Homemade Pies. The venue also offers an early bird menu served Wed - Sat between 5pm and 6pm. We are dog friendly in the bar area and welcome families into the establishment. The pub also has BT sport, pool table and dart board as well as several board games and cards available to add to the family experience
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was wary before I went for my meal at lunchtime on Saturday. I had visited my brother in the morning and told him where we were going for lunch, GOOD LUCK with that he said...and he eats out regularly and much more than me.
I started getting worried when there were only two cars in the car park, and one of those was the friend I was lunching with...
When I went in there were only 2 people in...always a bad sign especially at the weekend.
We had bought a voucher for this lunch through TOP TOWN DEALS and therefore were only paying half the usual price of £14.99 for 2 courses....
The 1st disappointment was that we could not choose from the main menu and when I asked the waitress about this found that it was in the small print...so I guess it was my fault but there was nothing on the 3 choice menu that I wanted.
However we were there so.....
The starter was ok...but could have done with a small piece of french stick or brioche..
The main was a disaster....the fish was overcooked and dry..the small cubes of potatoes were obviously last nights cold potatoes heated up...not too bad in itself except that they were not cooked properly through...how does boiled radish cut into quarters sound? mmmmm
tiny white onions and some kind of tasteless sauce completed.....oops sorry, forgot the gritty spinach.
The whole meal was tasteless and I had looked forward to it so much.
I confess that I ate it all as I was really hungry after having no breakfast and could not be bothered with a formal complaint. I did tell the waitress and she asked if I wanted to send a message to the kitchen . They were obviously waiting to close the dining room as we were the only ones in it so I said no....
Since then I have had conversations with other people with the same opinion...could have been that we were on a special offer so we got a special offer meal (you had to tell them)
If I had paid the full amount it would definitely gone back to the kitchen.
Its a real shame as this place used to be jumping when it was pie and peas and hotpots!!!

2  Thank LILITHEPINK01
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Interesting how Trip Advisor qualifies everyone as a food critic (albeit anonymously) - especially people who by their own admission do not eat out regularly?! We were fully expecting this review to come!

From the moment this 'lady' waltzed through the door it was clear she was not going to enjoy herself!

Please allow me to address each of the points in her review in turn:

The voucher that was purchased was a 'Let's Do Lunch' voucher at £15 for 2 people, 2 courses plus tea / coffee. For restaurant quality dishes, plus coffee, every other customer we have had on this deal has found it to be excellent value for money. We provide a lunch menu with a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. This is in the small print, but it is also very much at the forefront of the offer on The Bay radio website, and the menu was available for perusal before purchasing the voucher

For a starter this 'lady' chose 'Prawn and Crayfish Salad, with ripe avocado and a trio of dressings' exactly as it says on the menu - a perfectly presented salad. Had the customer asked for some bread she would have happily have been provided with some, but unfortunately unless someone asks we cannot read their minds, and provide.

The main course (as pictured above) 'Local Fillet of Sea Bass, curly kale, sauteed shallots, radish, globe artichoke cream and parmentier potatoes' - I take great objection to her description of this dish, which is in fact one of our best sellers. The bass was most certainly not overcooked or dry, the potatoes were absolutely not last nights reheated, and never are! radish - perhaps not to her taste? white onions - sauteed baby shallots! gritty spinach - no! - curly kale. Garnished with edible borage flowers - a very pretty desirable dish in the opinion of every other customer!

We were not waiting to close our restaurant, other customers were dining in the snug area of the bar, but yes, once lunch customers have left we do close for an hour or so to spend a little time with our young family

Since taking over the General Burgoyne just short of 2 years ago, we have turned it around from a pretty dire failing pub to a very popular pub / restaurant serving fantastic local, seasonal food - so much so if you don't book a table on Fri/Sat/Sun you're unlikely to get in! So although it was 'jumping' back in the eighties when pie and peas and hotpots were typical pub grub (incidentally we do still serve pie and peas on a Wednesday night - which are now homemade, unlike years ago), we are now running a very successful, quality dining establishment, headed by landlord and chef Craig Sherrington who trained in numerous michelin star establishments before going it alone in his own business which is very popular with locals and non locals alike.

I guess the motto is "You can't please all of the people all of the time!"

And so long as we've got a full restaurant every weekend, and customers return time and time again, which they do - then we're happy!

Kind Regards,
Louise Sherrington

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We only called in ad-hock after a walk on Birkrigg. Ordered the soup of the day (Tomato) along with the warm Ciabatta sandwich (char grilled chickena with red chard & Pesto. Can honesly say it was one of the best soups Iv had in ages.

We have eaten at the Burgoyne before and always had a lovely meal, would recommend to everyone. Looking forward to Christmas 2012 menu.

Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. Glad you enjoyed your soup after a fresh and invigorating walk over Birkrigg! As with all of our dishes our soup is always homemade and always with fresh seasonal produce. I guess you can't really go wrong with a bowl of soup, except when it's good it's really good :-) See you again soon. (Apologies for Christmas menus in the middle of summer - but there's nothing like being organised!!)

Reviewed July 2, 2012

This menu is fantastic! Had heard that another local pub was quickly catching up to this standard and having visited both i had to agree, however that has drasticaly changed and this has got to be the best place in the area to dine out! There is something on the menu for everyone and all the staff are friendly and very helpful! WSill be returning sunday for the roast!

1  Thank Cathrine B
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your recent review, and thank you very much for your kind words. We put a lot of thought and effort into our menus to ensure we offer high quality dishes using only the best, local, seasonal produce - it just tastes better that way! And I have to agree that the chef is very talented, but I suppose I would seeing as though I'm married to him! Craig has over 16 years experience in some of the best restaurants in the country and trained under michelin starred chefs. Now he has his own place he loves to produce special food in the relaxed atmosphere of our cosy country pub. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

This pub is sited in a really quaint little town with its own tarn in a beautiful county, the staff and management are really friendly and the furnishings and layout inside are relaxing.
They serve really good local beers and the food is worth trying, it is a very popular place with both locals and tourists so you may need to book. We would return.

Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and positive review - really pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The chef proprietor of the General Burgoyne worked under two Michelin-starred chefs, and it shows. Not so much pub grub as posh nosh in a family-friendly country pub setting. As they say, it's not fast food but good food served as fast as they can, so expect to wait when busy. Locally sourced produce and an imaginative and varied menu, priced to appeal to locals as well as well-heeled tourists. Really friendly people and great local beers, too.

generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and positive review. So pleased you and your family enjoyed your meals during your recent visit. Sounds like you had a nice time in the area. We look forward to welcoming you should you visit the area again.