“Very good value with scope to get even better”

The General Burgoyne
Ranked #18 of 70 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are an old style Country Pub based in the village of Urswick, nearby to Ulverston, Dalton and Barrow. We offer a friendly atmosphere with a fully stocked bar. For those wanting to dine we offer a pub classics menu with an edge, some items include Cajun Chicken, Steaks, Gammon, Lasagne, Sausage, Burgers, Stir Frys and Homemade Pies. The venue also offers an early bird menu served Wed - Sat between 5pm and 6pm. We are dog friendly in the bar area and welcome families into the establishment. The pub also has BT sport, pool table and dart board as well as several board games and cards available to add to the family experience
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Very good value with scope to get even better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We went for one of The General Burgoyne special taster menu evening. The food was tasty, interesting and modern using local produce and all without the slightest whiff of pretentiousness.

The management/owners were extremely friendly and were very keen to ensure my pregnant wife was catered for without any prompting.

Most remarkable was the bill which was extremely reasonable given the whole experience.

You can tell that The General Burgoyne is on the way up, it's not there yet but it's damn close so get in while you can.

• Visited November 2011

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“slow but food good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

good menu ,the main pub is old and full of charm..the main eating area which is not that old is warm and is well designed.
the only let down is the service seems always to be slow and even if it has been put on the menu to tell you this , waiting 30 mins for each course is abit much as most times I have been its never been to busy.

Visited August 2011
Barrow-in-Furness
“Good if you like fancy meals rather than pub specials”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Me, my mum and grandparents visited the general burgoyne today for new years day. Therefore I can only judge on the new years day set menu. However there were 3 courses available, I cannot remember what the starters were, but none of us liked any of them, so we skipped on those. The main courses were pork, beef, nut roast and salmon. Out of those 3 of us had the beef and my grandma (vegetarian) had the nut roast. On the menu it stated we would get cabbage, dauphinoise potatoes and butternut squash. As me and my mum are quite fussy we mentioned that we didnt like the potatoes or the squash, but they assured us that they came in separate dishes for all to share. However when it arrived we also received roast potatoes in the vegetable dishes too. I thought the meal was nice, but my mum's beef was extremely pink/rare, none of us like the meat like that and to be honest they never asked us how we would like it cooked. Luckily mine wasn't too pink, but my mum didn't manage to eat any of hers. The cabbage and roast potatoes were nice and the yorkshire pudding was good yet the top was burnt black. The desserts were an added £3 to ur one course meal, and were something along the lines of ice cream, fig cheesecake and date pudding. I only liked the ice cream so I had that but £3 for ice cream is rather expensive, although it was really lovely english lakes ice cream. My grandma has the fig cheesecake and said it was nice, but with the options being so fancy there wasn't much choice.
The atmosphere of the place was really warming and cosy.

• Visited January 2012
Millom, United Kingdom
“Nice but nothing more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

After reading reviews on TA we decided to try General Burgoyne on 4th Nov (Friday). I've tried to review this based on Service, Food, Value and Atmosphere

Service:
Staff were prompt in seating us and taking our drinks and food orders. We didn't find the restaurant extremely busy yet it seemed to take a long time for the starters to arrive. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Food:
I'd class this as somewhere between halfway between restaurant and good pub food. For starters we had the whitebait and the rabbit terrine. The whitebait was nice, and there was lots of it, but the salad which accompanied it was basic. The rabbit terrine was very nice.

We both chose to have the trio of game birds for our main course. All three meats were beautiful and were moist, getting a moist pheasant breast can be very difficult. The sauce which accompanied the meat didn't do it justice and I feel that it could be improved to bring out the flavour in the meat more.

For desserts we had the tasting platter and the crumble, both were nice and not too heavy, which was good given the amount of food we'd consumed.

Value:
I'd say the food is reasonably priced, £70 for two people eating three courses with drinks.

Atmosphere:
The place is effectively split into two halves, the traditional pub areas and the restaurant. There's a good contrast betwen the two and the restaurant especially is decorated well with nice finishing touches.

Overall opinion, there are better choices in the area, but I wouldn't rule visiting again, especially given the seasonal menu changes.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank ScottMoss
“Worth a detour.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Good food, seasonal menu that changes regularly, bar food as good as the seasonal menu and decent service.

Famous for peanuts and pint which when all three components are eaten together tastes wonderful but the panna cotta is too salty alone and it's inevitable that you will taste it alone. Clever concept though.