“Appalling Decor.”

British Raj
Ranked #38 of 72 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Appalling Decor.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The decor is appalling. I've never seen a restaurant so in need of a refurb. The food was pretty good but the neglect shown for the customers' environment make me wonder if the same neglect applies to kitchen hygiene.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank PubConnoisseur

Millom, United Kingdom
“Food is not consistent”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have been going to the British Raj on and off for about a year now. Up until out last two visits, the food had been superb. We haven't been for about 2 months now because on our last two visits, we thought we were in a different restaurant! The food was dreadful. I ordered tandoori chicken tikka and what I got was tiny pieces of dark meat off the leg, mingled with peppers and onions to disguise and the food was just luke warm. I never eat legs, just one of those things, I don't like. The whole point is, you order what you enjoy. In our opinion, we have come to the conclusion that there wasn't a 'Chef' on the premises but rather the staff were doing the cooking to save on costs. The staff know us, so why do this? We have been eating in Indian restaurants for over 30 years so we have a good idea of what to expect. We generally went for the Happy Hour at the British Raj, which, when the food is good, it's exceptional. And at £9.95 for a 4 course meal is excellent. The decor doesn't matter to us. It's the food that counts. The Indian draft largers are very good. The staff are friendly and helpful. Will go again around May when it's more likely to be busier, hence a professional 'Chef' required so the food should be spot on again.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Zoe53Cumbria
Askam in Furness, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The british raj is brilliant, the staff are extremely kind and really take care of there customers, also the food is brilliantly priced and at a high quality, me and my girlfriend had a dinner for 2 with 2 drinks each costing only £24.

Visited January 2013
Ulverston, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Best Indian Restaurant for food i have been too........Decor needs a refurb but hey when the food is this good who cares about the wallpaper!

Visited December 2012
Dartford, United Kingdom
“good honest food”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The comments of Tylerplus 1, Sskollob,and Tracy C are all correct But come on Guys I do think some kind of Priority needs to be applied here, its very good food at a good price and as As I have eaten Bangladeshi Food since 1973 this is in my opinion A Restaurant that for Food,Service, Value you wont go far wrong.

• Visited December 2012