“Sunday lunch French farce?”

The Farmers Arms Ulverston
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ulverston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday lunch French farce?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We all found the food disappointing - 4 had the 'Sunday Roast' and 1 had the belly pork with black pudding - the gravy served with the roasts was solidified and looked almost black, the vegetables were completely dried out, (as in 2 hours under a heat lamp?), and we suspected the roast potatoes had been cooked from frozen. The belly pork was only just acceptable.

However the 'highlight' of the afternoon was an ongoing argument between a French waiter
and a dark haired waitress over some discrepancy that had occurred earlier that day. It started with some low key, but audible, sniping in the bar area and carried on intermittently for the next 15 mins as the pair carried on serving customers. It eventually finished up with the pair entering the kitchen and having a blazing row which could be heard by everyone eating in the restaurant area - Basil & Sybil Fawlty, eat your heart out!

Were there any good points? No, not really. The poor quality food, the French waiter's extremely charmless welcome, (and inability to get a drinks order correct), and the mistakes with the bill, made it almost a pleasure to go back out into the cold, sleety weather And before this review is written off as a 'pesky tourist rant', hell bent on trashing a much-loved local eatery, we live in Ulverston, used to eat there regularly and enjoyed it until it started to go downhill a couple of years ago. We had hoped it had upped its game and we think everybody deserves a second chance - well they've had it and they blew it, so we won't be back!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Anne L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ulverston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lunch time at the farmers.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

sunday dinner is a real winner ,lots of roast meat,usual trimmings,and what i particulary like is a good lot of gravy.a personal weakness!the vegetables as we like them,and all the sauces and condiments to hand.puddings are huge , if you leave room for one.staff on top of their game,prompt service ,or time to relish each course as you wish .for just a snack lunch in the week the mutton broth is a must with the crisp fresh bread. plenty of choice for beverages,very pleased with our visits.

• Visited December 2012
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Its average but not good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Visited the Pub/Restaurant in November, I had been told it was great. To be fair it was very busy and I believe it is busy most weekends. The beer which I am always interested in was quite good but they do not have much choice in real ale for such a popular place. The food portions were small considering the price. I had Lamb which in my opinion was overcooked. My wife had chicken which she did enjoy. I wanted a crumble for dessert but unfortunately it was all gone. I had an apple sponge cake instead which was poor. I will visit this place again in the future but it was not as good as I expected on this occasion. The other problem with establishments like this is that they become pubs with a restaurant atmosphere which I do not like.

• Visited November 2012
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I ate here last week and the staff are so unfriendly. The food is good but no one has a conversation with you. The young girls behind the bar make a fuss of young male diners but do not speak to older diners. I visit Ulverston quite a lot on business but will give the farmers a wide berth from now on.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank davvyboy
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Nicely presented - C and J”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

There was so much choice of reasonably priced items that we found it difficult to choose. In the end we went for a trio of fish with lemon mash. Beautifully cooked and presented, I felt like I was in a top notch restaurant. Some one complained on here about the veg being hard. Our dish of veg wasn't soft and soggy but crisp and as it should be cooked. If you like your veg very soft I would suggest you mention it when ordering. The waiter was fast, attentive and helpful. The other meals people were having looked good as well.

• Visited December 2012