“A great service with great food”

Mae's Tea Room & Gallery
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Uldale
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With everything from teas, coffees, snacks, crafts and evening meals, to wines, beers, gifts and delicious Sunday lunch, this restored Victorian School is must for visitors to the Lake District
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We found Mae's through a recommendation from the owners of a B&B we were staying at. We thought well if the locals a recommending it then it must be pretty decent. "Pretty decent" is an understatement. A beautiful building in a beautiful setting with a fine array of local art set the seen, we hoped our meal would be just as beautiful and we were certainly not disappointed. Our host Mark provided the charm and his home cooked food was the perfect tonic to the invigorating walk we'd just enjoyed. With a fine mixture of British style food, generous portions and superb service we couldn't recommend this place highly enough. We will certainly make a B-line to Mae's on our next visit and would urge anyone visiting or living in the area to do the same. Fantastic!

10  Thank Peter_Kiernan

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I, and my friends living locally eat at Mae's quite often. Mark,(proprieter) is very willing to provide special diets for those needing them, -Gluten Free, Vegetarian, etc. I have found the food safe, interesting, a good selection,freshly cooked and very well presented. Sometimes there is rather a "wait" but the food is not the instant "freezer to microwave" type, and is worth the wait. Mark provides a three-course lunch for our "Lunch Club", once a month at the ridiculous price of £6. per head. This so much appreciated. Cakes, scones, teacakes, bread etc., all homemade with a good G.F. choice. Very interesting gallery, paintings, crafts, cards. Well worth a visit. Beautifully situated in the Uldale hills, looking on to Skiddaw, the 4th. highest mountain in the Lake District.

6  Thank annowigton
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We visit Mae's from time to time and have found a consistantly high standard in everything they do. Everything we have had there - sandwiches, cakes, teas, along with friendly service and presentation are a cut above anything else to be found for miles around and offering very good value for money. Our well behaved dog is always made welcome. Free parking and fab views are an added bonus!

4  Thank anthony w
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just returned from another great weekend in the lakes with friends after carrying out work to a property and thought I would share with you all the great tea-rooms / gallery we stumbled upon on the drive home in Uldale. Now I don't normally write reviews but I thought this warranted a mention. The tea-rooms used to be the old village school and has been transformed into a great tea shop. With it being Sunday I had to try the Sunday lunch and was not disapointed. Roast beef and all the trimmings now I like my food but I even struggled with the portion (excellent).!!
The view out of the large window is fantastic and the gallery is full of things to buy (just glad my wife was not with me).?
I will definitely be returning on my next visit to the lakes.

8  Thank masterchef99
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

On route via Caldbeck to Keswick from Carlisle, my 10 year old and I stopped off for a light lunch and a cup of tea. We shared a lovely warm chicken and bacon sandwich that came served in fresh chunky bread and a side salad, we finished with a cream scone and a pot of tea. The cafe/art shop is located in what was once the old school so it is very charming. Lots of local handmade crafts and art available to purchase at reasonable prices. The cafe was fairly quiet being midweek with one or two tables in use, the staff were friendly. A lovely little cafe that we stumbled across during our day out adventure. (I'm not a confident driver and normally stick to main roads and places where I get a phone signal, but definitely will visit again as the scenery on route was awesome and the food tasty)

3  Thank Gillybt