“Hawkshead Brewery Tour”
Review of Hawkshead Brewery

Hawkshead Brewery
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Staveley
More attraction details
Owner description: The Beer Hall is the Hawkshead Brewery tap, but within it are many things: visitors' centre, specialist international beer shop, function room, conference room and The Beer Kitchen providing the perfect food to complement the beer - our "Beer Tapas." The Beer Hall is a showcase for real ale and has a Cask Marque award for serving “the perfect pint”.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you like beer, then you'll probably like this place. We went on the tour which took just about over and hour. Quite honestly I feel it could have been done in half that time. Although the guide was knowledgable his style of delivery was far from engaging or interesting and I found it hard to pay attention. I wanted the thing over and done with and more quickly too! The other members of our group enjoyed the beer afterwards which was included in the price of the tour. The bar has an open feel with comfy sofas and low tables or the usual tables and chairs.

There are newer reviews for Hawkshead Brewery

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Came here for a drink and a bite to eat while staying in Windermere. I'm a beer lover and the beer here is very good. I'm not a big ale drinker and was pleased to see an IPA [NZPA] which was very good, fruity and very drinkable [I'll be honest - I have had better IPAs, but then it's all down to personal taste as I like mine more hoppy]. I then tried the Cumbrian 5 Hops which was also very good [for an ale!]. Unfortunately I was driving so could only have a half of each - if I wasn't driving I could have stayed all day [or at least until 5pm when it shuts on a week night]. There were also lots of other ales which I'm sure were good. There were 'girly' options too - the wife had a cherry beer which she enjoyed.

I disagree with a couple of the other reviewers on the decor/atmosphere. I love the open plan layout with all of the glass, comfy sofas and view of the brewing vat and people brewing. The place was absolutely spotless, well lit and inviting. The two members of staff [a young lady and a chap with a beard] were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, in particular the bearded one who wrapped my glass in newspaper for me to protect it. Small thing I know but it's all about the details.

The tapas is a nice idea [although I'm not really a fan of tapas there were proper plates of food available too]. I only had the olives as I had a bit of a dodgy tummy, which were ok as far as olives go, and my wife had the ribs - she is a bit of rib connoisseur and her opinion was "They were OK - definitely reheated but pretty good for a pub". Food is only served until 3pm on weekdays and seemed a bit pricey [but I'm used to that after living in London!] There was an excellent cafe next door [Wilfs?] which looked like it did really nice hot food, and a lot cheaper too.

The reasons I think it has untapped potential are firstly how well promoted/advertised/signposted it is. This could be a real 'destination' for beer lovers but I only found out about it from doing a Google search of breweries in and around Windermere before coming. Our guesthouse owner [who likes a beer] didn't know they served food and wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't asked, which would have been a shame. I didn't see any leaflets about it anywhere either. Finally it is poorly signposted, with the sign coming from the direction of Windermere small and partially covered by a tree, The sign for the brewery off the main road in Stavely was also small. I strongly feel they would get more passing trade if it was advertised better and they did more to create a buzz.

Secondly the opening times are a bit strange. Only a 3 hour window for food and a 5 hour window for beer on weekdays. I get that there is no point having it open if there is no passing trade [the brewery is in an industrial estate - a nice one as far as industrial estates go] but if the place was better advertised that would create more business.

Lastly, it would be nice if it was incorporated into a walk or if they made information on public transport available. Having to drive was a downer and as far as I know there wasn't much else to do in Stavely [there is another pub which apparently is excellent].

Really hope this is a success as I love microbreweries and it's great to see them trying out new styles of beers [there was a wheat beer on tap too - Great White - but I didn't want to lose my license!]

1  Thank Bananamanontour
HawksheadBrewery, Manager at Hawkshead Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Just a note to clarify our opening hours. Indeed on a Monday we're only open for 5 hours but both opening hours and food service times vary for the rest of the week:

Mon 12-5
Tue - Thur 12-6
Fri - Sat 12-11
Sun 12-8

Food is currently served between 12-3 Mon to Thur, 12-7 Fri & Sat and 12-6 on Sun.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stopped off for a drink and some lunch on the way to Keswick. There was a great choice of beers available, and I would have sampled more than half a pint or two if I hadn't been the designated driver. The tapas was particularly excellent value, with generous portion sizes for the prices being charged.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I went to the brewery two years ago for food and drink and enjoyed the food and drink, so we returned this week with his parents and sister. I love the location of the place - it is set amongst a set of shops in Staveley, making it a perfect stop after a walk. The brewery offers a tour at about £7/head which includes some drinks at the end. We didn't go on this, so can't comment on the tour. We came here to eat - the staff that served us were patient and friendly and the brewery offers a large range of alcoholic drinks - you can buy 1/3 pints so you can try sample more drinks. There are lots of small dishes you can order, as well as bigger meals, and all reasonably priced. The sweetcorn fritters are a must try.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The food here is second to none. I returned here this year with my family as I make a point of visiting whenever we are in the Lake District.
The tapas: sweetcorn and coriander fritters, bitter battered plaice goujons, chunky chips, filled mushroom and the trio of desserts....all mouthwatering!!
On this visit we were lucky enough to be there for live music which was great. We sat upstairs enjoying the views, the music, the drink and of course the food.
It was a hit with our whole family (10 of us) and we will all return. In fact, I can't wait!