“Our experience does not agree with recent terrible reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Duke William - CLOSED

The Duke William
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Our experience does not agree with recent terrible reviews”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

By no means perfect but we had a steak and chips meal x2 which was well served, full portion size all trimmings and very good value at £9.95 each. Pub is not hugely appealing from the outside but actually the lounge was nicely set out and welcoming. A bit devoid of atmosphere in the lounge just because there was only us and another couple in. Lady who served us was very friendly and the beer was well kept too. Was happy enough to want to try it again next time we visit Staveley and from what we saw the recent awful reviews I've read did not match our experience. Don't go expecting a gastro pub however, what we had was still basic "pub food".

“RIP OFF!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

they are clearly trying to rip tourists off with the food. The menu looked great and good value but what arrived I couldn't believe. Even my terrier would have left hungry!! When I complained the scouser lady said " well that's how it is" service!! What service?? The beer was fine which led us to believe the food would be as well. How wrong we were. If you eat like a sparrow it will suit you fine. Otherwise you WILL be dissapointed. After I complained to the landlord he promptly jumped into his new Mercedes and sped off. Probably fearing the wrath of the rest if my group. Probably a wise decision.

Washington, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolute rubbish DO NOT EAT AT THIS PLACE!!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We ordered lamb and it was dreadful. The portion size was for a child and we came away still hungry. The lamb had definitely been cut into very small portions, there was a very small spoon of mash potato and frozen peas with three shreds of cabbage. The lady who served us with the food was clearly very embarrassed. When we challenged the owner he wasn't bothered. It's obviously a tourist rip off pub, that explains how the owner can afford to ride around in a Mercedes.

1 Thank Sue R
“Ok if your not hungry !”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Visited this pub with a group of friends and we were all eagerly awaiting our meal.When they arrived we were appalled at the size of the portions,they were more like childrens portions.When we complained we were just told..well thats it...dont you want it ?Even the waitress said to us she thought they were small when she served them !The owner was quite rude when confronted and tried to blame his suppliers.Dont get me wrong...the food was quite nice...I ordered shepherds pie but said I didnt want chips with it,I thought they would have given me more vegetables,but no...a few shreads of cabbage and a few peas ! Mind you...the napkins were good !...nice and thick they were...and big too...so I took mine with me when we left....along the street to the chippy...which incidentally is lovely !!

1 Thank Catherine B
County durham
“Outrageous”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Owners were rude and the food was a huge disappointment. Bean there most of afternoon and was looking forward to a good meal. A child's portion arrived and when we questioned it were were told "well thats it". I asked about the lamb rump that i ordered ( which was as big as a plum) the owner rudely told me it was their suppliers fault. pioneer WELL we have a lot of dealings with pioneer and know how good they are and how much portions are sold at. They must have chopped a portion if lamb up into 4 because this was disgraceful. Dont advice people to eat here because it is obviously a tourist attraction rip off. Sooner pay £15. For same meal and get more food.

2 Thank Alihutchinson