“A Great Bespoke Evening”
Review of LucyCooks Cookery School - CLOSED

LucyCooks Cookery School
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Lucy Cooks - a fabulous Cookery School situated in Staveley Mill Yard, near Kendal in Cumbria, The Lake District. It has a fresh and vibrant approach, where you will be inspired, educated and above all entertained!Whether you're 9 or 90, we offer a whole range of individual one day practical courses and distinctly different demonstrations, designed to suit everyone from novice to Nigella... a course for all reasons and all seasons!Food for thought...
Reviewed May 3, 2016

What a great night at LucyCooks! Eleven of us thoroughly enjoyed our bespoke demo and dine evening in the hands of Chef, Scott, and his lovely assistant Isabelle. And, with a very reasonable corkage charge we were able to bring along a good selection of wines to match the excellent food. Add to this a number of very useful culinary tips and you have the ingredients for a special night out! Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed April 4, 2016

The British Bake Off was a gift for myself and sister-in-law. I was very worried about this course as I thought it would be too serious as it said we may be marked on our eats!!We were welcomed in the reception by a lovely lady,who showed us where the lockers and toilets were and took us through to the welcoming room for coffee. Well I had the best day Thankyou.Katie&I had a 'kitchen' next to each other which made it more fun.The others on the group came from all over too and enjoyed themselves.
Our Chef was Drew and he had help from Chef Scott.
Drew started with demonstrating the 'Spiced Parsnip Cake' and then it was our turn.All the ingredients for each dish are weighed out and ready for you on your work station which takes a lot of stress away,well it did from me!!Then we made Choux Pastry for profiteroles or eclairs, a Rich Chocolate Ganache Tart with Salted Caramel( yummy) and finished with Macarons.We did not stop, apart from lunch.The Chefs had made us lamb served with a mash,green beans and a jus.We had wine to drink too.It was nice to sit around the table and talk to the other guests.
Thankyou to the whole team for an enjoyable baking day.We will be considering doing another course in the future.

Reviewed April 3, 2016 via mobile

Well who would have guessed, novice to cake baker in a day. A well structured easy to follow day, introduction to baking. Our chef Drew aided by Scott provided an informative insight into baking techniques. And we get to share the produce with family and friends.

Reviewed April 1, 2016 via mobile

Just finished a great day cooking at LucyCooks with a Taste of the Lakes. Can't believe how much food my sis and I have brought home, just as well we have a house full of hungry boys! Star of the show was the Rum Nicky - wickedly indulgent tart with the best pastry ever. Our finished article looked perfect - all down to the friendly tuition and fantastic facilities. I'd thoroughly recommend a day here if you fancy learning new stuff and indulging yourself with gorgeous food.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 1, 2016

I was bought a Thai cookery day as a gift so had no idea what to expect. The whole experience was exceptional. On arrival, I was greeted warmly and made to feel very welcome. I was shown into the dining room where hot drinks and home made scones were waiting. Once all the day's participants had arrived our chef took us through the format of the day and we were off to the kitchens. It was a full day, during which we watched a demonstration of the preparation of a dish and went off to emulate it ourselves. All the ingredients were ready for us and we each had our own kitchen to work in. The chef walked round offering advice and encouragement.
Lunch time was lovely. We made our own lunch, as you would expect, and this was accompanied by wine and a pudding provided by the venue. At the end of the day you pack your food up into your own tubs and take it home with you.
Don't expect this to be a 'put your feet up' kind of a day. This is proper cooking in a proper kitchen and includes cleaning down and washing up. For me, this was as it should be but I know some people don't believe they should have to tidy up. I'm not sure why not, as this is part of the whole feel of working and cooking in a 'real' kitchen.
Overall, a tremendous day. Would highly recommend to anyone with even a modicum of interest in cooking.

Date of experience: February 2016