“Unwelcoming”

Ranked #4 of 9 St. Bees B&B and Inns
St Louis
“Unwelcoming”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

When I travel, I seek lodging that offers a combination of characteristics in an ascending order of importance: safety, cleanliness, quiet, comfortable beds, parking, wi-fi, relative cost, nice décor. But the one intrinsic characteristic I look for in a place to stay is the sense of comfort that comes from a welcoming staff. This is particularly true of smaller inns and B&B’s where there are fewer staff members to make or break my impression of a place. So I was particularly disappointed in Ellerbeck Manor, which exceeded my list of essential attributes in all but one and that was the utter lack of welcome I felt upon arrival. I was greeted by the proprietor with his arms crossed defensively in front of his chest as he stood on his front porch and without so much as a “Hello,” commanded that I remove my shoes before I entered the house. I didn’t object to removing my shoes, in fact I had fully intended to do so because they were wet and muddy, but the man didn’t budge from his spot at the top of the step effectively blocking my entrance to his stone front porch and wordlessly waited until I noticed that there was a second step 10 feet past him toward the back of the porch to which I made my way. (And let me point out I am a 60 year old woman hobbled by arthritis.) Beyond that lack of basic courtesy, there was the practical matter that my wet shoes were then left out unprotected through the wet night and were therefore still wet in the morning. So even though Ellerbeck Manor was beautiful, with superbly crafted woodworking that I as a retired carpenter especially admired, even though the room was spacious and the bedding was comfortable and breakfast was made to order, and even though the proprietor was somewhat friendly the next morning, I left with a bad taste for the place and cannot recommend it for people who expect at least a modicum of welcome from their host when they arrive at a B&B.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank createwks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Bristol
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stopped here for a couple of nights on the way back from Scotland to the West Country. Absolutely beautiful conversion of an old barn and lovely hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and they clearly love what they do! Breakfast was great, the bedroom was gorgeous and had a sofa, small fridge and TV as well as a bed and en-suite. Big kitchen table encouraged mingling with other guests at breakfast, so much nicer than individual tables generally found in hotels. Situated on a very quiet country road, it's not far from St Bees for a visit to Lulu's bistro for dinner and the beach on a nice day. Great location for a round trip of the lakes in the car, if walking is not your thing. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is an excellent place to begin Wainwright's Coast to Coast walk staying B & B in a beautifully renovated barn. All the fittings are modern but old features have been kept for decoration. Everything is of a high quality: shower room, decoration, furniture, towels and breakfast. In the morning the hosts kindly gave us a lift to the start of the Coast to Coast walk in St Bees (approximately 1.5 miles away). It would have been more convenient to stay in St Bees, near the start of the walk, but the quality of this accommodation more than made up for any inconvenience.

Room Tip: Bus from Egremont passes the front door. Dismount rather than going into St Bees and having to walk...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingScot_11
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Beautiful accommodation. Very nice proprietors. The breakfast was very well presented and completed a quality experience. It is nice a nd quiet with only a little traffic in the morning. They allowed us to leave our car for the 3 day duration of the trip. It is a little bit off the track for the C2C as St Bees is 2 miles away and the train, if you are travelling back from Tynemouth, only goes to Whitehaven which is 6 miles away, but what is 6 miles when you have just done 140 ?!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed here before starting the C2C walk and were pleased that we weren't put off by the out of town location. We enjoyed the rural setting and the owners kindly drove us to the starting point of the walk after a hearty breakfast in the family kitchen. Pre-ordering a veggie breakfast was worthwhile, although there is a kitchen area for guests to use, if required. The bedrooms were comfortable and modern and we would definitely recommend this place to other C2C walkers.

Room Tip: The two downstairs rooms with own lounge and kitchen area are ideal for families or those on longer...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheGourmetVeggie
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, the bed was absolutely humongous & really comfortable. The bathroom was immaculate with underfloor heating & a nice powerful shower. There was fresh milk in the fridge daily, alongside tea/coffee facilities in the beautiful, stylish cosy room.
Breakfast is served downstairs in the dining room [The property is a renovated barn, absolutely stunning!] you can have what ever you like from a full English to cereal. I'd never tried a duck egg before so when Mandy offered me one from her ducks I accepted & wasn't disappointed! John & Mandy couldn't make better hosts for this beautiful B&B they make you feel so at home, they are extremely helpful & friendly. They renovated the barn themselves! They really look after you, gave us some good advice of places to go. This is the nicest place I personally have stayed, I would recommend it for couples/families/work. it's immaculately kept & set in beautiful surroundings. 10/10!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria P
Ripley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was our first time in the lakes, the B&B that John and Mandy have is just great.
It is quiet, comfortable,the rooms are a great size,the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very good with both bath and shower.
Breakfast was first class it set us up for the day.
John and Mandy are good hosts very helpful about the area and places to eat, they recommended the Blacksmiths at Brigrigg and we where not disapointed a great and friendly restauraunt.
If we are up in Cumbria again we would go back to Ellerbreck manor we enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: This is a recently renovated B&B of high standard you will not be disapionted with any room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Grove Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Cleator
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel

Been to Ellerbeck Manor? Share your experiences!