“Highly recommended”

Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Shap
Eyam
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Staying here in July for my soon-to-be son in law's last unmarried fling! Very comfortable, the guys that run it are very friendly and helpful. Got its own great bar and a fantastic space out back. Evening meal was great and breakfasts fantastic - all local and organic.
Very highly recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here during a very wet walking holiday and found this accommodation to be ideally for my purpose. All other guests were walkers so plenty to talk about during our stay. We opted for the evening meal which was homemade and of good quality, also very reasonable priced. Few options though which didn't concern me. Breakfast was also good. There are alcoholic drinks available so you don't need to venture along Shap High Street to find the last remaining pubs. Two have shut since our last visit to Shap in 2011. This is definitely a 3* accommodation though which is reflected in the price but was more than satisfactory and therefore would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here on one of my nights during a Coast to Coast walk that I was doing from St Bees, and I felt very much at home, as soon as I walked through the door. This was because of the fireplace, the wooden beams, and nice little bar discreetly hidden away in the corner of one of the rooms. The rooms were big, clean and very quiet.

The host was very friendly from the moment I stepped in to the Guest house, and really helpful for the entire stay (and also a good chat). I ate at the pub down the road, but the New Ing offers food as well in the evenings.

Breakfast was lovely, and served at a decent time for an early start. Cracking place for an overnight stop.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tg12345g
Leeds, UK
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A nice welcome from Scott to make you feel relaxed and instantly at home when on the Coast to Coast. They were very friendly and helpful. The evening meal and bar onsite was very welcome as the pub felt a long way away after a day's walking.
It was really nice to spend the evening sitting in front of the fire with fellow walkers and have a drink whilst swapping stories.
Probably one of the best packed lunches on the trip! Also, without doubt, the best dog on the trip too.
I would definitely go back here and recommend it to anyone on the C2C.

Room Tip: We stayed in a twin room and we were told that it was the only one that hadn't been done up but...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scuzzy25
Thornaby
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here on night 4 of my 12 day coast to coast. After having read the reviews on here I was looking forward to camping . Unfortunately, I felt like the owners didn't share my enthusiasm. As soon as I arrived and said I was camping I seemed to be disregarded, almost hidden out of the way at the back as an outdoor leper. We were told we were staying on 'hallow ground', as they had recently laid the turf, but it was too late, we weren't moving!

It had been a long day and I was starving, but was told everywhere was shut to eat, but that the owner would make a 'speciality' beans on toast for £4, erm no thanks. I asked when the bar was open, "soon", I was told but it was already 8:30pm! Then, as if by magic, 'the bar' opened, well it was the owner behind a worktop. To be fair he did have an ale on draught, great, "What time do you shut?" I asked, "When I get tired" he replied, which turned out to be 30 mins later.

I had asked for the WiFi password, which I was given, and then it was promptly switched off!

He never actually went to bed, he sat with his friends making us feel uncomfortable. OK, I took the hint and went back to my field. It was a poor nights sleep as we seemed to be under a railway (not mentioned on website). Chickens roaming the field were not a problem, but I thought the amount of chicken s#&t in the shower/toilet area was unacceptable.

The icing on the cake was when a bleary eyed owner came out to see us the next morning to tell us how much he had drunk the night before.

I appreciate it is quite a different review from everybody who stayed inside the building, but my tip would be if you want to stay here, make sure you book into the B&B - it is NOT a camper friendly establishment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dan W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This place was perfect. It's family run and it's very clear they take a lot of pride in creating a very warm and welcoming atmosphere. The rooms were spacious and bright, with high ceilings and comfy beds. The little bar was cozy and welcoming. The breakfast was great. The price was incredible value - they could be charging a lot more for their rooms. One of my favourite stays in England.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Erika C
newinglodge, Owner at New Ing Lodge, Shap, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hello Erika C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our accommodation. We are so happy that you enjoyed the building, and we are happy you used the new bar.

We try to keep the overall price as low as possible and to cater for all needs, from camping to dormitory to bed & breakfast. We pride ourselves in keeping it local as possible with alot of our food and drink coming from local producers.

Hope to see you again soon
Birmingham
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was great stop on the coast to coast walk. Jamie was a really good host , with a warm welcome and good food. A most comfortable stay and a really friendly atmosphere. Rooms light and airy- no ensuite but good facilities. Eat here on an evening and mix with other walkers, it has a really nice feel about the place

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank julieDBirmingham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shap
Shap Wells Hotel
The Old School - Tebay
Haweswater Hotel
Haweswater Hotel
#1 of 4 in Bampton

Been to New Ing Lodge, Shap? Share your experiences!