“Home away from home!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sedbergh
Hebblethwaite Hall Farm
“Home away from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Myself and my wife Tes had such a good time at the farm! Dorothy and Ernest couldn't have been more hospitable and generous. The rooms and living areas are immaculate, beds comfy and it felt like a home away from home. We had the bed & breakfast and were very glad we did - great to wake up to every morning. We are hoping to head back up to the Howgills for a visit next time we come to the UK and of course we will be booking in to stay at Hebblethwaite Hall Farm!

Room Tip: Go for bed & breakfast.... so good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We are keen walkers and tend to choose surprise weekends away for Christmas and birthdays rather than giving each other 'stuff'. I'd heard the Howgills were beautiful and relatively unknown - it's an area people pass on the way to somewhere else, rather than for its own sake.

We arrived at Hebblethwaite Hall Farm on Friday afternoon after having lunch in Sedbergh and walking for a couple of hours. Clearly still a work in progress, we were very taken with the various barn and other conversions, providing beautiful and well-thought-out self-catering or B&B accommodation (we went for the latter).

We were made very welcome by Dorothy, who is lovely. The quality of the B&B (in the barn conversion) was exceptional, with downstairs being a huge open plan kitchen and large table up one end and the other a very comfortable sitting area with French windows overlooking the view down the valley. This was for the exclusive use of B&B guests - and only two couples could stay at any one time. The bedroom and shower room were very clean, comfortable and fresh and everything throughout was very good quality. Great attention to detail - such as controllable underfloor heating, which was a nice touch. Obviously this meant no carpets or bedside rugs, but at least the laminate didn't feel cold!

Breakfast both days was just what we wanted and we always make the most of home cooked and locally sourced produce when we are away.

If there was a minus in any of this, on a personal note I felt the size of the bedroom was slightly disappointing - particularly bearing in mind the enormous room downstairs. I found it (and the bed!) rather small and claustrophobic - due to there being a single Velux window in the sloping roof, which of course we couldn't see out of. To me, the bedhead being directly under the window meant there was a draft when we opened it at night. I am not particularly keen on laminate flooring in bedrooms - it crackles to walk on and is noisy downstairs, but this is just me being fussy.

If we were to stay again (and we definitely would), I would ask to be put into the twin room and have the beds pushed together. The room is the same size and layout as the double but obviously we would have a bigger bed.

Please note that these are my own, subjective views - and not that of my partner, who couldn't fault any aspect of it at all and loved the bedroom. This is why I haven't reduced the overall rating - it would be incredibly unfair to do so.

The area is simply beautiful and there is lots to explore. We did a 10-mile circular walk from Sedberg, Climbing Cautley Spout and coming back along the Howgills ridge. The panoramic views were stunning - it was possible to see all the way to the Lake District and across to Morcambe Bay and occasionally we had a glimpse of the farm when we looked east.

Local eateries are good and plentiful and all within striking distance.

We are looking forward to coming back!

Room Tip: If you like a double bed, ask for the twin room and ask for the beds to be pushed together.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claire A
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My old college friend and I wanted to meet up before Christmas so we split the distance between us and had three very relaxing days staying in the lovely barn conversion at Hebblethwaite Hall Farm. Dorothy, Ernest and John could not have been more welcoming and helpful and it was a great place to wake up in in the morning, stunning views of the hills around. Bluebell Cottage was beautifully decorated and furnished and the underfloor heating was a real luxury. The walk into nearby Sedbergh can be done over the hills or down the lane and along the river and there are many other signed walks nearby. Learning a little more about the practicalities of sheep farming was a bonus. A super place to take some time out and relax.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LibbyEH10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a weekend of cycle training on our tandem. Dorothy, Ernest and John couldn't have been more accommodating of us and our biking needs, The accommodation is just beautiful. The barn conversion is finished to a very high standard and is very clean and welcoming. The breakfast was great and set us up for a day in the saddle. The delicious homemade cake on return was a very welcomed surprise. The farm is about a 5 minute drive outside Sedbergh up a farm track making for a beautiful, very peaceful and quiet location. Definitely going back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CBHunt
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

I visited Hebblethwaite with my 10 year old son. The converted barn is beautiful, clean, welcoming and the owners where very accommodating. The owners made us feel so welcome, the farmer took my son out with him on the farm in the morning. My son said to me 'this is the best holiday I've ever had'... we had some pretty decent holidays. The breakfasts were lovely, there was tea and coffee on tap, as well as biscuits and the offer of a packed lunch or evening meal if we wanted it. I didn't expect a working farm and it was so such a lovely surprise when we realised it was fully functioning. The owners also bought my son a game and gave it to him to take away. We particularly appreciated that they spent time with us (we were on our own in the B&B). I would highly recommend this farm. Sedbergh is a lovely little village and the travellers passing through was an added attraction. There's beautiful walks and lots of fab hills to climb. It's good for cycling too (although my little boy found the hills a bit much). You couldn't be disappointed with this lovely farm. We will hopefully go back again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family